Credit card only or is debit/check card acceptable?

sharpasice

Just booked April 6, 2013 on the Reflection!!! So excited (Aqua Class). Since this is our first cruise in 5 years I was hoping there is someone who can help me out.. I know a credit card is usually given when you board to cover charges on your seapass account. As we have recently gotten rid of most credit cards, can we use a debit/check card with a visa logo? I was recenly turned down in Vegas ..being told this wasn't a "real" credit card so I had to leave cash. (But it's accepted at Disney Resorts..go figure!) Will I have a problem on board?

The debit/check card will work fine...just be mindful that they will put a "hold" on the card for a particular amount of money and the "hold" may not be released for several days after the final charge is processed at the end of the cruise. In short, just make sure you have plenty of padding with the associated account.

Also, not sure where you are cruising to, but make sure you call your bank and tell them you will be away and using your check/debit card. They will usually want to know dates and places you are visiting.

Finally, most check/debit cards have a limit...with mine it's something like $700 in cash per day and $7,000.00 in charges, obviously if you have less in your account than the allowable daily limits that would be your limit.

Just some things to think about, regardless...have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used a debit card once and they accidentally double charged us. I spent the first week back from vacation dealing with Celebrity and the bank. Then the bank credited the wrong account and it took another week to get that sorted out. I don't use a debit card any more.

I used a debit card once and they accidentally double charged us. I spent the first week back from vacation dealing with Celebrity and the bank. Then the bank credited the wrong account and it took another week to get that sorted out. I don't use a debit card any more.

This is why I never use a debit card. Not because there is more chance of an error or theft, but because I'd rather be waiting for a correction of amounts the credit card company thinks I owe them then waiting to get MY MONEY back after it has erroneously been taken from my account.

But that is my personal preference and I understand there are many out there who prefer debit cards.

I usually put the card on the account but then deposit a few hundred dollars in cash when I board. we aren't big spenders and so my account usually remains in credit and my card not touched. I don't need to go to the bother of actually setting up a cash account as the card is there as back up.

Last cruise I got $12 back and I adjust the amount depending on whether I have on board credit or have purchased a drinks package :)

While debit cards are accepted, in reality they can be more hassle than they're worth. First, unless you can talk the bank into upping your daily limit you could run into trouble because the daily limits are low. Second, the cruise line will put a hold on money in your account that you won't have access to until everything clears, and for some things, it could take a few weeks if you dispute charges. Third, debit cards aren't accepted in a lot of places on land, and even if you find places, if the ship runs charges on that day, again you might find your charges rejected.

Credit cards are just easier and less hassle.

Archived