Carnival Dream, Freedom of the Seas, or Allure?!?!?

DH and I are planning a western Caribbean (hubby wants to see some ruins) cruise for February 2013. We can't decide between the Freedom of the Seas, Carnival Dream, or Allure. Dream and Freedom both have 4 stops, while Allure drops Grand Cayman and still is $200 more then allure.... Between the ships and the ports.....What do we do??

DH and I are planning a western Caribbean (hubby wants to see some ruins) cruise for February 2013. We can't decide between the Freedom of the Seas, Carnival Dream, or Allure. Dream and Freedom both have 4 stops, while Allure drops Grand Cayman and still is $200 more then allure.... Between the ships and the ports.....What do we do??

Well....haven't been on Dream, but have looked at it and had friends who sailed on it and really liked it, haven't been on Freedom but sailed twice on Liberty of the Seas, so know that ship and have been on Allure once, Oasis twice.....I say go for Allure!!! :D

If it's only a difference of $200 - go for Allure! I have done Oasis, Allure, Liberty (Freedom's younger sister), Grandeur (a life boat in comparison) and will be back on the Oasis again this time next week :D and honestly - the ports take a back burner to the ship itself! I would be more than happy if the ship left Ft Lauderdale and just sailed around the caribbean for a week and didn't stop ;)

From the entertainment options (WOW) to all the options for food... they're 3 steps ahead of any other ship out there in my opinion!

And since everyone thinks it - NO the crowds aren't bad on O or A... actually a lot LESS crowded than the Liberty was.

If I were given the choice, I'd go for Freedom. I loved her, it's an amazing ship. I haven't sailed on Oasis class, but it seems a bit big for my liking :D Of course, Allure is the newest of them all, and while Grand Cayman was nice (loved the turtle farm and holding them), I think you can do without. Unless you really have the urge to go to 'Hell' :D

Cindy

I would give another vote for the Allure. People say it is too big and that you don't meet people. When we were on the Allure we were always seeing people from our meet and mingle. We meet two couples in the airport going on the same flight and we continuely bumped into them on the ship.

I have been on the Liberty of the Seas (same class as Freedom), went on the Carnival Dream two years ago and this year I am going on the Allure. The ship that is the best value is going to be the Dream. You go to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya. The ship with the most to do is going to be the Allure as it is the newest and the biggest of the three. You are not missing much if you go on the Allure as the ship goes to all the same ports as Freedom except for Grand Cayman (Because it is a tender port, it would take forever for a ship the size of allure to tender everyone on and off) While the Carnival Dream has good food and decent entertainment, it lacks in on board activities and the public spaces are too small for the amount of people on board. I would recommend you go on the Allure.

Been on all three and the Oasis/Allure sisters take the cake. For only $200 I would sail on the Allure in a heartbeat. We are going on the Oasis again in just 20 days. The Dream was a little more crowded but the food was great. Have a great time!!!

I have sailed on the Dream twice and the Allure and I'm sailing on Freedom next month. For me I think I will like the Freedom the best. We prefer RCL but have no need for the Central Park or Boardwalk. On the Allure you are on a floating resort and the sea is an afterthought that you have to seek out. The Dream is a nice ship but doesn't have the activities or shows that RCL offers. I think you have to determine what you want/need the most and then decide. For me the Dream is a basic cruise, Freedom is the best of all worlds and the Allure is a resort packed full of activities and entertainment.

For us, the ports are not the driving factor, so the ship is the destination with the ports secondary....we've done them several times. It is so worth that little bit of extra $....in my opinion, everyone should try it once and see if they like it. Originally, we weren't sure if we would like it either, thinking it may be too big, but we've loved it (obviously!) :D

On the Allure you are on a floating resort and the sea is an afterthought that you have to seek out.

I see a lot of people making this statement but don't really understand it. The Oasis/Allure are essentially the same layout as the smaller ships but have carved out areas (Central Park/Boardwalk) where there would be inside staterooms on the smaller ships... I found I saw the sea more on O & A because I spent more time in the solarium, pool decks etc than I did on other ships and saw the ocean more. If people are referring to the specialty restaurants not having an ocean view... it's only a couple hours and typically it's dark out anyways when you're in there :confused:

I see a lot of people making this statement but don't really understand it. The Oasis/Allure are essentially the same layout as the smaller ships but have carved out areas (Central Park/Boardwalk) where there would be inside staterooms on the smaller ships... I found I saw the sea more on O & A because I spent more time in the solarium, pool decks etc than I did on other ships and saw the ocean more. If people are referring to the specialty restaurants not having an ocean view... it's only a couple hours and typically it's dark out anyways when you're in there :confused:

I feel the same way! You see just as much of the Ocean as a Freedom class ship, maybe even more. You can see water from the Boardwalk, which I think is awesome.

Hi,

Regarding the ruins. I've done most of them.

The Royal cruises you mentioned stop at Coz. At Coz you have a

choice of Coba or Tulum from the ship tours. Because you

need to ferry over to Playa Del Carmen (for both) I advise

a ship tour not private tour. Reason? The ship charters a ferry

that picks you up at the ship's pier and returns you there.

Tulum is picturesque, but no climbing.

Coba offers climbing if you want. Nohoch Mul ruin is 138'.

On Carnival Dream you stop at Coz also...and can do

Tulum or Coba, ship's tour.

Dream at Costa Maya: Chocchoben or Kohunlich ship's tours.

Dream at Belize: Xunantunich or Altun Ha.

Anyway, IMHO, for climbing don't miss Xunantunich or Coba (Nohoch Mul).

Personally I like Royal big ships, the entertainment shows, ice shows are

the best. Coba climb would work up a steakhouse appetite. Labadee zip line is worth it once.

But damn, I sure like the ruin tours throughout Belize and Costa Maya

area...and I prefer Carnival food slightly more.

Let us know how it turns out!

:cool::cool:

We have done Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Dream and Oasis of the Seas. We are doing Allure this year. So I do like the Freedom and Dream, but Allure I'm sure will be better (Oasis was) The ship itself is awesome. Go for it.

Archived