For those who like a more "in depth" programme.

Just discovered this one is on at the same time as the hijacked thread.

On SBS One and HD, there is a documentary about the Mary Rose and its crew.

Ghosts of the Mary Rose

7:35pm - 8:30pm

Classified: G Genre: Documentary Repeat

The latest forensic techniques aid the investigation of one of the biggest unsolved mysteries in British history - the identity of the crew of the Mary Rose - and reveal a new explanation for why the Mary Rose sank.

Enjoyed the doco on the raising of the Mary rose so much I went to see it at Portsmouth a few years ago, my son was there at the end of last year and it was closed. Each to ther own, I'd rather watch paint dry.

The Mary Rose show, the costa Concordia show, and the ships of shame, all on at the same time, now there's a coincidence. Only two of them are of relevance to this CC site. sorry if anyone takes this Personally, not intended.

The Mary Rose show, the costa Concordia show, and the ships of shame, all on at the same time, now there's a coincidence. Only two of them are of relevance to this CC site. sorry if anyone takes this Personally, not intended.

So, what's your problem? :) Too much chocolate? You didn't have to read it. The Mary Rose was a ship - a war ship - it's about as relevant as some of the "warring" posts on the "ships of shame" thread. The Mary Rose is about seafarers and some of us here have an affinity for the sea and prefer "true" ships (or liners) to the floating holiday resorts. For those who prefer floating holiday resorts - that's great. You get two holidays rolled into one. :D

For anyone who is interested, it was fascinating. It appears that up to 60% of the crew were not British but came from warmer climes.

Who, moi? :D See, I just thought I'd throw in a little diversion as the other is so boring. But....I just wondered why you felt the need to remark about it. I'm still wondering. Won't you satisfy my curiosity? :rolleyes::D

I see from your profile that you like buroque renaisaunce music so I can relate to your interest in the Mary rose. As a music lover I can see where your coming from. Lotsaluv.

Yep, I do like digging around in the past. Many people would think I have 'strange' tastes. I used to wonder why I loved this music soooooo much as no-one in my family was particularly musical, then I discovered through genealogy my great great grandfather ran a musical academy in Dublin and used to hobnob with the likes of Mendelssohn. My love of the sea comes from a different line. Cruising has taken over a bit at the moment, though! :D

Archived