Monarch of the Seas??

We're thinking on taking a family cruise in Oct. 2006 on either Monarch or Carnival Paradise. We're thinking that Monarch may offer more for my dd who (big on sports--b-ball esp. ) will be 14 and with the San Diego stop we can do sea World which might appeal to my then 5yo. What's anybody's opinion on Monarch?? How's the food? rooms? I know they are smaller than carnival's but we're also thinking to get adjoining rooms?? are the prices any different than reg. OV?? Our very first cruise will be in Aug. of this year on CCL Conquest. I know the rooms are only 122 sqft but putting 2 together will give us 244 sq ft. and would be less expensive than a suite.

I've been on both the Paradise and the Monarch, and both times with kids. My vote goes to the Monarch - better food, better service, very nice kids program. Not that the Paradise wasn't that great, but I didn't like the dining room and food much, and RCCL goes all out to make kids feel at home. As a Mom, that means much to me

Hi Karessamom -- our first cruise was on the Monarch last June. My TA recommended the 4-night Monarch over Carnival because she felt Monarch was a nicer ship. It also could have been because Carnival caters to a younger crowd -- I'm 50, and my son was 14 at the time. He went to the teen center, but said that there wasn't much to do except hang out. On our cruise, the adults took over the basketball court day and night, so that limited his playing time. Now, he's 15 and towers over me, so I doubt he'll have that problem on Serenade!

As I recall, the ship is in San Diego until around 6pm or so -- you could go to Sea World, but that would pretty much take up your entire day.

We had a great time on Monarch. Hope this helps!

Laurie

Hi Karessamom -- our first cruise was on the Monarch last June. My TA recommended the 4-night Monarch over Carnival because she felt Monarch was a nicer ship. It also could have been because Carnival caters to a younger crowd -- I'm 50, and my son was 14 at the time. He went to the teen center, but said that there wasn't much to do except hang out. On our cruise, the adults took over the basketball court day and night, so that limited his playing time. Now, he's 15 and towers over me, so I doubt he'll have that problem on Serenade!

As I recall, the ship is in San Diego until around 6pm or so -- you could go to Sea World, but that would pretty much take up your entire day.

We had a great time on Monarch. Hope this helps!

Laurie

I think by the time we cruise, my 14yo dd will be over 6'! (she's 5'11" now and GROWING! <<BG>> :)

Thanks so far for all the responses, yes it is helping with our decision. Probably like i said won't book till fall but it's certainly something to think about.

• 1 month later...

dougp26364 - Thanks for posting the pics! It looks like a nice ship! We are planning a thanksgiving cruise with our family in Nov '06 on the Monarch. We sailed the Mariner in May and I'm sure it can't compare to that but I think it will still be enjoyable for 4-nights!

Our first cruise was on Monarch, we have been on 5 other cruises since then. None on Monarch, she was moved to the left coast shortly after our cruise. We have been on Princess & Carnival and they have yet to compare to the wonderful time we had on Monarch. Food, entertainment, etc. Who cares about the small rooms? If you're having fun on the ship, you shouldn't be in the rooms. Well if you and your DW or DH is having fun, maybe you can go to the room for some indoor sports, but other than sleeping, get out of the room and play.

Rick

We were on the Monarch on 96 and again in 98 OV in 96 Balcony on the Bridge deck in 98. Small by todays standards but a great ship. I have not seen her since the refurb - but consider a balcony if you are concerned about space.

My vote goes to Carnival Paradise. I hated the monarch. Old ship, tiny, tiny cabins, worst food.
Yes, I know she had a complete refurb. She is still an old ship, tiny, tiny cabins and has the worst food.
RCCL takes great pride in keeping their ships up to date. While she may be old in age she is nowere near old in appearance. She may not be RCCL's best ship but she is still a great ship.

Can I ask you when you traveled on the Monarch of the Seas.

We were just on the Monarch of the Seas.

We loved it. The breakfast on the lido deck is better on Carnival, but the rest of the meals were better or the same as carnival on the Monarch.

We are planning another short cruise either on the Paradise or the Monarch and i think we are going back on the Monarch.

The kids loved the rock climbing wall!!

Yes, the cabins are small 119sq ft. for an inside cabin, but your not in there that much.

Either one you chose will be a good time!!

Tina

Yes, I know she had a complete refurb. She is still an old ship, tiny, tiny cabins and has the worst food.

No doubt the cabins are small, but ok for the shorter cruises the Monarch is making. I found the food to be pretty good, at least by restaurant standards. I had a couple of really good meals, and a couple of pretty good meals at dinnertime. Nothing was exceptional, but nothing was terrible either. Buffets in the Windjammer were surprisingly good--many things with good flavor, and a whole lot to choose from. And the price for it all was pretty competitive.

I sailed on Monarch last Thanksgiving and it was a really pleasant surprise. We loved the ship and the food was terrific considering it was a three night cruise. I was disappointed by the slopiness of attire on the first night where jeans were being tolerated, but on the second night, which was formal, at least 80% of the men were in tuxedos, the rest wearing dark suits. The entertainment was quite good also. The cabins were small but highly functional. Room service was quite good with prompt delivery. We were so impressed we are taking the cruise again this Thanksgiving. Overall, it was one of the better cruises I've taken (now over 20).

I have sailed both Monarch and Carnival (Ecstacy, not Paradise) and would have to vote Monarch, hands down. The food, activities, shows were about the same. Service on Monarch was a lot better, the ship a whole lot nicer, the price for a Monarch cruise is less for two rooms than one room for 4 on Carnival. Yes, the rooms are tiny, but doable for such a short cruise.

The number one reason I would choose Monarch over Paradise is the stop in San Diego, it's a wonderful city to visit and the highlight of this 4 day cruise. They both go to Catalina, which is beautiful. They both go to Ensenada, we stay onboard the ship there. Some people like it, we don't happen to. Carnival has a sea day instead of San Diego.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived