Ruby Princess Review Spring break 4/1-4/8

Flipper4599

Our trip started with a flight out of DCA to FLL with a taxi stop at Total Wine for a case of wine. *I had brought extra heavy duty tape and had printed an extra luggage tag. *We had an overnight at the Marriott Renaissance. *My sister and her husband bought a case of high end red wine from Crown Spirits on Sunday prior to boarding. *It opened at 11 a.m. *It was really the way to go. *Our white wine was $7.97 (Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc) from Total Wine. *The Nobilo Sauv Blanc served on the ship was $32 a bottle and saved us a few dollars. *Even with the $15 corkage fee, we were still ahead. When boarding the ship, we saw that lots of people had placed luggage tags on cases of water, beer, sodas, wine etc. *We could see the hampers from the gang plank. *An additional note on the Marriott, there is a Walgreens across the street and a wonderful Italian restaurant across the parking lot for dinner, Bravo Italiano. *The service and food were superb! *

On Sunday morning*we headed to the port via the hotel shuttle that cost $6 per person*at 12:15. *We probably should have left a little earlier as the lines were quite long. *Once on the ship before*2 p.m., we could immediately go to our room. *We didn't realize that the DaVinci dining room was open for lunch and we headed to the Horizon grill. *This is the only day that we ate on the Lido deck. *The Purell was placed in front of the lines and all were required to use. *I never saw Purell at the main dining rooms or at the International Cafe. *We were quite surprised with this. *

Our party of 6 had rooms on Emerald deck (Port Aft E726, E728 and E730). *Our cabin steward Genghis opened the balcony doors on all 3 rooms so that we could meet and move among our rooms. *I must tell you that I had read quite a bit about these rooms and the only disappointment was the fact that we were over Club Fusion. *All the reviews I had read said that noise was practically non existent except for some evenings but no later than*11 p.m.**Our experience was quite different. *Many nights we were awoken between midnight and*2 a.m.*with boom, boom, boom music. *I would prefer to have been on the starboard side on those nights as our rooms were directly over the band section. *

The menus were all quite nice and multiple appetizers and entrees were no issue for the waiters. *We had excellent wait staff in Enrique and Oliver. *During the food demonstration and galley tour, my family learned that there are 10 different menus that are cycled through. *I had heard that Caribbean night was the least favorite but we enjoyed it very much and it was on Monday. *We're all curious about the 3 menus that we didn't get to try. * * *

On Tuesday at 11 a.m., three of our party of six attended the Cruise Critic meet and greet. *Thanks to Jillofalltrades for putting this together and for the formal invitations that were sent to the officers. *We had a really nice visit and Captain Tony Yeomans came by to visit before officiating at three weddings that day. *He told us that it had been the first invitation he had received from cruise critic in years. *So nice to meet him and the other officers. *

The excursions that we opted for was a glass bottom boat tour on Princess Cays. *While it was very nice, it was not as good as the glass bottom boat tour on Coco Cay through RCL. *We did get to see a loggerhead turtle and many fish and coral. *

On St Maarten we took the boat across to Phillipsburg from our ship and did a little shopping. *The prices are better on the Dutch side and we met a really nice woman at a clothing shop called Bianchis. *My teenage daughter loved the tops in this shop. After shopping, we rode the ferry back to our dock to get on an excursion to the Butterfly Farm. *The island tour on the way was informational but the island is full of litter. It is also very dry there, they do not get much rain which is nice for the tourists and beach going but everything was brown. *We enjoyed the butterfly farm and received lots of information about what to plant in our yard to attract butterflies. *Here in the DC area, we have 6 different species of swallowtail, we learned. *After the butterfly farm, more island tour through Marigot and a quick stop to shop. *

On St Thomas, we took the Nautilus semi-sub and Coral World excursion. *This was the best of the trip with the exception of the ride. *It was quite bumpy. *I would have liked to have stayed a little longer at Coral World as I felt rushed through to see everything. *We did enjoy seeing Franco the sea lion getting fed and watching his tricks. *

My favorite stop was Grand Turk. *We opted to have a beach day at the cruise center. *There were plenty of lounge chairs in the shade and it was not crowded. *My husband and daughter snorkeled right in front of the ship and saw hundreds of fish, conch, seaglass, and coral. *They really enjoyed it. *We could have taken a cab to a more empty beach but after all the excursions we had paid for, it was nice to have an afternoon on the beach where we didn't have to pay for a lounge chair under the palms. *We shopped a bit and then headed to Margaritaville. *How disappointed were we to find out that the island is mainly Catholic and there would be no alcohol served until*6 p.m.*as it was Good Friday. *Our ship was leaving*at 7 p.m.*and we did not wait to try a drink. *The nachos, conch fritters and virgin drinks were wonderful though. *In one of the shops we met an artist named Diane Page. *She creates designer beachglass jewelry. *Her pieces are one of a kind and beautiful. *If you are looking for a unique gift, she has a table in the gift shop "Dizzy Donkey" near Margaritaville.

Our family decided to take advantage of the express check-out. *Our bags were placed outside of room at 8 p.m. on Saturday evening and taken directly to the airport. *It was nice to just walk off the boat with only a small carry-on. *We had a transfer in Charlotte and our luggage made it the entire way. *

It was a wonderful spring break cruise! *I will definitely cruise with Princess again.

I'm going to be on the Ruby this coming Sunday. We also booked the Nautilus semi-sub and Coral World excursion. I am really excited to go on it now after your thoughts on it.

I am new to cruises and anywhere in general. Could you please explain the whole Dutch side thing to me? Thanks!!!

Oh and also.....we want to eat at one of the specialty restaurants on Caribbean night (just posted about this myself) but wondered what day it was on. You said Monday but then it almost sounded like it wasn't always on Monday. So how do I know what day it will be ahead of time? Or don't you?

I'm going to be on the Ruby this coming Sunday. We also booked the Nautilus semi-sub and Coral World excursion. I am really excited to go on it now after your thoughts on it.

I am new to cruises and anywhere in general. Could you please explain the whole Dutch side thing to me? Thanks!!!

Oh and also.....we want to eat at one of the specialty restaurants on Caribbean night (just posted about this myself) but wondered what day it was on. You said Monday but then it almost sounded like it wasn't always on Monday. So how do I know what day it will be ahead of time? Or don't you?

The semi sub and Coral World are right next to each other. The group with kids went into Coral World and one group went on the sub and then we switched. The iquanas are everywhere and in every size imaginable. You'll enjoy it!

We were told that prices on the Dutch side of St Maarten were better than the french side. My husband got a bottle of beer for $1 from a woman selling water, beer and sodas in Phillipsburg after we took the water taxi over ($6 to ride the water taxi all day). On the French side, the beer was $4. The clothing was also cheaper on the Dutch side. My sister bought a Swatch watch, they gave her a discount and of course no tax. Seemed to be easier to deal with the folks in Phillipsburg than Marigot on the French side.

Just ask your waiter the first night what night Caribbean night will be and they'll tell you. Hopefully, you'll be able to get the specialty restaurant. I think since they rotate 10 menus, you never know what day the Caribbean menu will be. Our formal nights were Tuesday (first sea day) and Thursday because the ship leaves St Thomas at 4:00 and there's time to get ready if you have 6:00 p.m. seating. Have a fun trip!

love4connor - please come over to the rollcall. Join in some of the fun that is planned. :D:D

On Sunday morning*we headed to the port via the hotel shuttle that cost $6 per person*at 12:15. *We probably should have left a little earlier as the lines were quite long. *Once on the ship before*2 p.m., we could immediately go to our room. *We didn't realize that the DaVinci dining room was open for lunch and we headed to the Horizon grill.

The dining room would only have been open for lunch until 1:30, so even if you had know about it, you boarded to late to go there.

Archived