Gratuity or Hotel charge?

cruzincurt

I actually like having it added to my ship board account. That way I do not need to worry about having that amount of cash on hand at the end of the cruise for both of our tips. We've done automatic tipping on Carnival, RCCL, and Princess.

If someone goes above and beyond, then we give them "extra" in cash reminding them also that we have already done the regular tip via our account.

We were told that if we removed the tip, then gave it directly to the person they had to add it to the pot that is shared. If we left the regular tip on the account, then gave the person cash "extra" they were allowed to keep the extra. (this was on Carnival).

I actually like having it added to my ship board account. That way I do not need to worry about having that amount of cash on hand at the end of the cruise for both of our tips. We've done automatic tipping on Carnival, RCCL, and Princess.

If someone goes above and beyond, then we give them "extra" in cash reminding them also that we have already done the regular tip via our account.

We were told that if we removed the tip, then gave it directly to the person they had to add it to the pot that is shared. If we left the regular tip on the account, then gave the person cash "extra" they were allowed to keep the extra. (this was on Carnival).

I've heard that, too. I wonder if it's true or if they say that to "guilt" you into keeping the charge on your account. I think it would be difficult to enforce, especially for cabin stewards, who aren't under the constant eye of a supervisor.

We leave the charge on the bill. As others have said, we consider it part of the cost of the trip. Considering that only MDR fixed seating dinner (or open with a standing reservation) gives you the same waitstaff every night, how else can tipping all the people who serve you be done fairly?

I would not take the charge off the bill because of bad service from a waiter or a steward. I don't want to punish everyone because someone has done a bad job. Better to take that up with the appropriate supervisor, and if it doesn't improve, mention it on the comment card.

I've heard that, too. I wonder if it's true or if they say that to "guilt" you into keeping the charge on your account. I think it would be difficult to enforce, especially for cabin stewards, who aren't under the constant eye of a supervisor.

Not hard to enforce at all. I've been on Carnival, NCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity & RCI. If you read the different boards, do a search on tips/gratuity and you will find that they actually publish & post a list of those cabins that have removed the tips. The Supervisor (or even other stewards) would be looking for tips from those rooms, or question the steward what they did/or did not do to warrant removal of the tips. The stewards can actually lose their jobs for not turning in those tips. The crew live in very close quarters and it would soon be discovered if someone was holding out on the tip pool.

I don't have a problem with the automatic tipping being added to my bill. It is convenient. I have never removed the tips but have, at times, given extra to those who I felt deserved it. What I don't like is not being sure which crew members are getting these auto tips. On one cruise the CD told the audience that the "behind the scenes" crew also get part of each passenger's tip. He mentioned, "for example, such as the bakers." I don't think the bakers should get tipped by the passengers. Instead, HAL should pay them a good salary. The passengers should not have to supplement their salary because they don't earn enough from HAL. I believe that all of a passenger's auto tip should go to those HAL employees who provide a service directly to the passenger - Room Stewards/Assistants, Dining Room Stewards/Assistants, etc. - not to staff who should be earning a fair salary from HAL.

Archived