Ocho Rios Margaritaville and Shopping

adriennerm

We are scheduled to be in Ocho Rios from 7:30a-3:30p. Since we have excursions planned in our two other ports, we want to keep it simple in Ocho Rios. I read somewhere that there was a Margaritaville that was connected to a beach. Is this within walking distinct of the port? Also is there shopping close by the port. We are not looking for major shopping, just some place to buy souvenirs for the children.

Also, if you go to Margaritaville can you use to the beach? Or is there a separate charge?

I am posting this here b/c there is more traffic on this board. The Jamaica board has very little traffic.

Thanks,

Adrienne

Mville is a short walk from the pier--but you walk by all the local cab drivers who can be aggresive. Just say no thanks and walk on.

Nice pool with water slide--beach area is so-so

There is a small shopping area with local wares.

Have fun!!!

Mville is a short walk from the pier--but you walk by all the local cab drivers who can be aggresive. Just say no thanks and walk on.

Have fun!!!

EXACTLY. Just say no. And QUICKLY walk away. They are tremendously pushy.

I hope you have a good time!:)

Have fun!!!

Where is the pool? We were there in February and I didn't notice it. We'll be going back in March so I'd like to check it out.

Where is the pool? We were there in February and I didn't notice it. We'll be going back in March so I'd like to check it out.

Pool is a big part of the margaritaville. Very nice one.

Also when you walk there say no thanks to all the vendors and do not make eye contact.

The Ocho Rios M'ville is our favorite of all the ones we've been to. Several have water slides and some have big pools. But the one in Ocho Rios has a small pool that the slide feeds into. But the slide goes through the bar which is cool. It is maybe 100 yards from the ship. There is a beach off of the back of M'ville and several vendor huts. The hair braiders are there too. But you are right at the shipdocks

It's been about 4 years since we've done this but if you just want some nice shopping and Margaritaville, Jamaica is the perfect place (unless things have changed). After you leave the pier you will just have to walk about a block. It's my understanding that this block is still within the gated pier area and only certified taxi drivers are allowed there. We did encounter the taxi drivers but no vendors. The drivers didn't seem terribly pushy. We just said "No Thanks" and kept moving. Then you will come to the little, outdoor shopping mall called Island Village, I think. Only licensed vendors are allowed in there and they are not allowed to be pushy. It's a very cute little mall with lots of cute shops and we did not encounter any pushy vendors. There was just one woman in one shop that followed me around the store and was a bit pushy but I actually wanted to buy stuff there so I didn't mind. The entrance to Margaritaville is right there in the mall so you don't have to go out on the streets at all. We had a great day shopping and hanging out at Margaritaville and that's what we would probably do if we went there again.

Like I said before, we did this about 4 years ago so if things have someone please correct me.

The Ocho Rios M'ville is our favorite of all the ones we've been to. Several have water slides and some have big pools. But the one in Ocho Rios has a small pool that the slide feeds into. But the slide goes through the bar which is cool. It is maybe 100 yards from the ship. There is a beach off of the back of M'ville and several vendor huts. The hair braiders are there too. But you are right at the shipdocks

Interesting about location. Last time in Jamaica about 18 months ago we had about a 3/4 mile walk to Margaritaville.

The beach is OK and I don't remember a charge, but we are more of the pool people. This one is much smaller than the one in Grand Turks...

Not sure about the distance...but here is a pic...so you can kind of see how far it is...

sm_dsc01466.jpg

We enjoyed Margaritaville at Ocho Rios very much. The Island Village was very nice with many crafts, shady paths, even entertainment going on sometimes. DH has difficulty walking so we wanted a cab for the short distance to the entrance of Island Village and the cabbies didn't want to take us. (It's not far enough) For the return trek DD and I walked, and he found someone with a wheelchair looking for people in need of a push.

Archived