local turtle/snorkel operators at Carlisle?

Thebox

We're trying to keep our day in Barbados affordable. Plan is to go to Carlisle and hopefully find a boat that will take us out to swim with the turtles for aprox $20 pp. While I've found posts by a few people who were successful doing this, can we reasonably count on small boats/operators being around? Has anyone had success doing this? Which bar/area am I most likely to find boats with snorkel gear?

We're the only ship in port that day, so I'm hoping this will increase our chances. Any/all help appreciated!

If you're heading to Carlisle, you should have no trouble finding someone to take you out to the turtles.

There are a few beach bars there: The Boatyard, Lobster Alive, Copacabanas, Harbour Lights.

Generally these guys hang out anywhere along that stretch. Not sure if they have gear for rent, but I'm sure some of them do.

Most of the west side beaches will have folks with boats willing to take you out to see turtles.

Carlisle Bay is nice and calm, you could even swim out to the wrecks and turtles from shore...

Cheers, P:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Barbados at Lobster Alive the end of Jan/12, and there was a local guy right along the beach that we talked with about snorkeling with the turtles. We decided not to go because it ended up raining for a while at lunchtime. He had very reasonable prices, can't remember if it was $20. pp, but wasn't much more than that. The boat goes out into Carlisle bay, and while along the beach, you can see all the boats out sailing with the snorkelers with the turtles.

We did this last Friday, 20 April. We parked ourselves at the Copacabana for the day (which I think is pretty near Harbour Lights). Guys came along offering snorkeling for $25, then a lower price of $20. When we got out to the turtles, we met a couple of guys who had swum out there from the beach. The shipwrecks are a little bit further out, and there was a significant current. The boat we were on took us to both locations, then back to the beach.

If you want to be closer to the turtle area, on the beach, you'd want to be farther down left-hand end of the beach (as you're facing the water) -- further to the south, farther away from the cruise ships. It's swimmable from there, but I thought the shipwrecks were not, really, unless you're an excellent swimmer and/or have a flotation device.

We paid $5 each for the taxi, one-way. $15 per couple for 2 chairs, 1 umbrella and 2 drinks. And $20 each for the snorkel/shipwreck boat ride.

We had a fabulous day, and it was so easy!!! My brother & his wife walked back to the cruise ship, & said it only took about 20 minutes. But the rest of us took a cab. Brother also had lunch @ Copacabana & said it was really good. :)

Archived