Veendam New York City Disembarkation

jo-v

If the ship arrives on time and is cleared on time, and you self-disembark (i.e. carry off all your luggage) you should be able to get off around 7:30 to 7:45. But if there's any snags ... ;)

Itinerary indicates expected to dock @ 7 am. What would be expected disembarkation time? Dare I make Amtrak train reservation for 10:15 am?

Thanks for your help.

If, by chance, you're disembarking on May 6, I would allow a lot more time...there is a Five Borough Bike Tour in the city that day which causes a traffic nightmare. I know...our Roll Call for the May 6 cruise and embarkation that day has mentioned it several times.

A big question in all of this is how many other ships will be in port that day. Getting off the ship and getting your luggage isn't bad. It's the chaos for pickup that's wild. You have private cars and limos all looking for people. I'm not sure where the taxi line is, or if there's even an organized taxi line.

Is the train you're looking at going to Canada? Amtrak needs you to be at the station early to do the Immigration check at Penn Station--we had to do this when we took the train to Montreal. And if you're checking luggage in NY you need to allow time for that, probably a half hour minimum.

I think 10:15 is tight. If you can find a later train, that would be safer.

If, by chance, you're disembarking on May 6, I would allow a lot more time...there is a Five Borough Bike Tour in the city that day which causes a traffic nightmare. I know...our Roll Call for the May 6 cruise and embarkation that day has mentioned it several times.

While it is true that the Five Boro Bike Tour disrupts traffic (in a big way) it should not have too much of an affect on trip from the Manhattan piers to Penn Station. The bike tour starts Downtown near Battery Park and head up 6th Avenue to Central Park while Penn Station can be entered from the west on 8th Avenue.

There are several cab stands across from the pier on 12th, up a block from the entrance, in case the pier line's nuts.

It's a 10 minute ride on a Sunday morning from the pier to Penn Station.

As you get ready to leave the ship, you can also call a car company like Dial 711 or whatever to pick you up.

Archived