Opinions, please, on Uxmal

duncmelsmom

It's our first cruise ever.

1) Should we see Uxmal? I have read so much about it and find it very intriguing. There isn't a Carnival excursion, so we could do Autoprogresso. With time constraints and not really knowing about cruises, should we do this?

2) Our cruise is in July. Are we going to die because of the heat? Should we do an Uxmal trip on another cruise one day (hoping that we love cruising and do another)?

3) I'm a 6th grade math teacher, but have taught a Social Studies class or two throughout the years. We study Mexico in our 6th grade curriculum, so I think I would get lots out of this trip.

Your opinions are most welcomed!! I really wanted to do the $3 double-decker tour, shop, get a massage, etc. and have a more relaxed time in Progresso, but the more I think about it...Uxmal might be an opportunity of a lifetime.

(I see of all of the Yucatan ruins, trip advisor rates this one as the best to see!)

Please tell me likes/dislikes and thanks so much (in advance!!)

I've been to Uxmal three times and always loved it. The postings about AP are pretty good consistantly. Shorter bus ride than Chichen Itza and way less crowded. Checkout the following link. Great pics and information.

http://mayaruins.com/uxmal01.html

Also checkout the write up in yucatantoday.com

After your visit you can relate your experience with your students, FIRST HAND.

Wear loose fitting clothing and a hat. It will be on the hot side but here in NC we have those temps too.

Have a great time.

Looking forward to possibly a two week visit to Merida this fall.

Uxmal is one of the main reasons Carnival stops here. Do not miss it!

I am going to be in Progresso in 17 days!

After reading all of your awesome posts I have decided on Uxmal, Merida, and Le Saint Bonnet.

Will we be able to do all 3 in one day? Uxmal and Merida are most important. If not able to do Le Saint Bonnet, do you have a restaurant you recommend in Merida?

Thank you.

People forget that Merida is a city of about a million people now and the colonial-era center was not built for so many cars and buses which makes getting into the downtown a rather difficult proposition - lots of traffic and that takes up valuable time. From downtown Merida to Progreso can easily be an hour, with traffic.

Archived