Nooks and WiFi

We are bringing our Nook Color with us on the Aprill 22nd Allure Western Caribbean cruise. Mostly we are using it to read books which we have already downloaded. However, the Nook Color is WiFi capable and we can send and receive email on it as well as surf the web.

Does anyone know if we can use the ships' WiFi to get online, access email, and check-in with our airline. Of course we know that WiFi fees will be incurred, but can we do the above either by purchasing internet time as a package or on a per use basis depending on how much time use?

This will allow us to use the Nook without having to go the ships' internet room.

Thanks in advance

Availability of the WiFi signal varies by ship, particularly older ships. If you want to use WiFi, you first need to go to an onboard terminal and set up a userid and password, then you need to search out a hot spot. The first time you get on, you will get instructions about your options about paying for your time.

On the Allure, you should be able to recieve a wifi signal in your stateroom.

Just understand that it's expensive (like 60 cents a minute) and slow.

Different packages can be purchased that lower the per minute charge.

THe Oasis class ships are not as slow as other classes.

I will defintiely be checking this out in a couple weeks. But I still must take laptop due to requirement by employer if I need to VPN into work. But from what I have seem before as long as the ship's login process (once wireless account has been setup on their PCs) is compatible with the trimmed down Chrome browser that Android devices like Nook use it should be OK. I have never had a compatibility problem so far with mine using it with multiple WiFi hot spots or web sites but don't recall using https sites either.

I took my Nook Color which is "hacked" using a special bootable SD card to run a full version of Android on a recent cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. I had no problem accessing the internet once the wifi account had been set up. I was even able to sometimes get the signal from my cabin when my laptop could not.

Since I'm not using the built in Nook operating system, can't say how well that wifi setup works, but for a hacked Nook Color it worked like a charm.

The beauty of the SD card boot is that the original Nook is not modified in any way--you just have to boot the Nook without the SD card to get the orignal Nook back. You can do a search for "N2A" on amazon if you are interested.

The beauty of the SD card boot is that the original Nook is not modified in any way--you just have to boot the Nook without the SD card to get the orignal Nook back. You can do a search for "N2A" on amazon if you are interested.

That's the "old" Nook Color and not the new Nook Tablet, right? As far as I know, nobody has successfully done the SD card hack on the NT.

Regardless, if a hacked NC can use the ship wifi, a stock NC or NT should be able to.

That's the "old" Nook Color and not the new Nook Tablet, right? As far as I know, nobody has successfully done the SD card hack on the NT.

Regardless, if a hacked NC can use the ship wifi, a stock NC or NT should be able to.

Yes, this is for the "old" Nook Color, although when I just did a search on amazon for "N2A" there were some cards for the Nook Touch, but I don't think that the NT can boot from the SD card so I don't know how well those cards work...

You can also make your own card (using Sandisc class 4 cards) and not have to buy the expensive N2A card. I've done it both ways (bought the N2A card and also made my own from scratch). I see you can buy the Sandisk 32gb card for around $27 now which beats the $80 price for the 32gb N2A card.

On the Allure there were stations where you could print out boarding passes. I thought that was a nice feature for people who did not want to pay for the internet. Also if you use the Luggage Valet service they do the boarding passes for you.

The internet is pretty slow even using the hardwired computers. So if we use our personal computer its usually off the ship at an internet cafe in port.

On all of our recent cruises the wifi has been incredibly slow and has been full of "glitches." You'll find it not so slow early a.m., that's 5 to 6 a.m. Good luck. Crew members know the best wifi spots in ports. Ask them for their favorites.

Archived