walking tour in Dubrovnik

Hi,

The merged thread on Dubrovnikk has lots of info. Some old and some current.

So much, I am confused.

Our ship, Solstice, is in port from 9 to 6 on May 17.We would like to walk for a few hours in Dubrovnik. Perhaps on the scenic wall. We won't be shopping or eating.

Will we need kuna?

Anyone know how to get from the Solstice to the scenic walking areas? A possible route to walk for about 3 or 4 hours?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The merged thread on Dubrovnikk has lots of info. Some old and some current.

So much, I am confused.

Our ship, Solstice, is in port from 9 to 6 on May 17.We would like to walk for a few hours in Dubrovnik. Perhaps on the scenic wall. We won't be shopping or eating.

Will we need kuna?

Anyone know how to get from the Solstice to the scenic walking areas? A possible route to walk for about 3 or 4 hours?

Thanks in advance.

The Solstice will be docked at the Gruz harbor, about a 10 minute shuttle bus ride into the old town. You should check with your cruise line to see if they offer a shuttle bus and cost. A taxi costs about 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, yes taxi drivers will accept Euros.

The city wall is 2 kilometers long with a grand total 0f 1080 steps, walking the entire wall normally takes about 2 hours if you stop for photos. Cost for the city wall is 70 Kuna, no Euros but they do accept debit and credit cards, including American Express.

You will also have time to walk the old part of town which is home to many of our cultural and historical museums and churches. There are restaurants and shops and other sites which may interest you and a multitude of steps going both up and down.

This part of Dubrovnik does not allow cars within the walls, with the exception of emergency vehicles. Lots to see and more than 3 hours of walking.

However I do not recommend walking from the harbor to the historical part of town, it is uphill and not an interesting walking route via our business area.

Thanks for the info. Nice and simple and just what I needed. I will plan on the cab (where do I say to go to?) in euros and pay the wall fee with a credit card, priceless :).

As a backup, I'll just grab a tourist type map online or from a local info center and will be set. Otherwise we will explore the old city.

Dubrovnik sounds so beatiful, I really look forward to it, rain or shine, we will be walking.

Thanks for the info. Nice and simple and just what I needed. I will plan on the cab (where do I say to go to?) in euros and pay the wall fee with a credit card, priceless :).

As a backup, I'll just grab a tourist type map online or from a local info center and will be set. Otherwise we will explore the old city.

Dubrovnik sounds so beatiful, I really look forward to it, rain or shine, we will be walking.

You do not need to tell the driver where you want to go, he will automatically drop you at the Pile Brsalje (square). It is the same drop as the shuttle bus, and it is the area where you will find the Pile Gate entrance just a few steps from the square.

Just a thought, you may want to ask the taxi to drop you at the cable car entrance and then walk down into the old part of town. You would then be entering by the Ploce gate which is on the opposite side, but it will give you the opportunity to view the entire area from the top of the mountain. The view is breathtaking, also cable car does accept credit cards.

Here is the map, it will help you get your bearings and is the best map online.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Archived