Some Suggestions, Please

Ronn452

My wife and I are taking our youngest son on a cruise in August. He is deploying to Iraq in late September and we want to spend time diving and just relaxing with him before he goes. Anyone have any thoughts on special things we could do that would make this cruise even more special to him?

Thanks!

Captain Ronn

My husband is also a service memeber, having spent many deployments to the "Gulf". He said he didnt care if he did anything at all, only that he was with Family. No phone, news, or work to think about. Thats what made the cruise special. And it must have as we are about to set sail on our third!!

Just enjoy the time together, that's what will make the cruise the best!!

:)

I would tie him up somewhere!!!!! I am so proud of you because if my boys told me they were going into harms way I think I would lose it! You are braver than I and I just almost cry everytime I think of something like this (we have lost a son so I am very overprotective of my boys)... Thank him for me and my boys. That said... If he is the sort who likes a fuss made have a birthday party for the one you will miss when he is gone. Presents he could use overseas (I am not sure what you can send with him) and a phone card or new cell phone things like that. Order a cake from the ship.

I agree no news!! Just spend special time. I am now going to track my babies down, my sons are little, and hug the heck out of them.

We are on the Sensation in August. We plan to dive in Cozumel and maybe in Costa Maya. We opted for the five day cruise because I am also in the military and am away quite a bit. This was the only time we could squeeze in between his training prior to deployment and my up-coming missions.

Yes, I am proud of him! I swore him in two years ago. His mom is, as we expected, anxious. We have four sons; but this is the baby. As his father, I am apprehensive because I have been there and know what he is facing. However, I know the men he will be over there with and trust them; as does he. All of them will be in our prayers while they train and while they are gone.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think celebrating the occasions we will miss is a great idea. At this point, we will miss Thanksgiving, Christmas, his birthday and possibly Thanksgiving and Christmas next year. I agree that just being together is most important. This was a lesson learned when I was gone in a previous war.

Thanks!

Captain Ronn

As a retired US Army man 26 years I think the best thing you could do would be to have Christmas in August. Being Military yourself you know they should have a good feast on Thanksgiving but Christmas has always been something special I am sure you could arrange a imitation tree and a few presents without him knowing anything about it and if worst came to worst I am sure you could get a few people even from these boards to help you our Good luck as HOO RAH!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I are taking our youngest son on a cruise in August. He is deploying to Iraq in late September and we want to spend time diving and just relaxing with him before he goes. Anyone have any thoughts on special things we could do that would make this cruise even more special to him?

Thanks!

Captain Ronn

What ship and itinerary are you going on ?

We too are planning our cruise around our oldest son leaving for the service. Although he is not going to Iraq, my son, who is graduating from HS next month, will be leaving for basic training in the NAVY, so I was also looking for anything special to do while on our cruise. This is also our 1st cruise! One thing that we did was invite his best friend to join us on the cruise. We thought it would be neat for him to share it not only with his family, but his best friend as well. Godspeed to your son and to your family.

My suggestion is to take many, many pictures. Take advantage of all the picture opportunties on formal night with teh extravagant backgrounds (if you're anything like me you will be tempted to buy them all, but never any pressure to purchase) and also candid shots of lounging around on deck, eating on the lido deck, posing with the towel animals in your room, going down the slide, even Mom, and of course plenty of sunsets and pictures of the beautiful carribbean and fun excursions.

When you return home, print duplicates and make an album or photo collage to send off with your son and also one for yourselves to enjoy at home. When the cruise is all said and done, all the moments on the cruise will be special memories. You can't go wrong no matter what you decide. :)

VoyagerFl: We are on the Sensation, 13 August sailing. We are going to Cozumel where we love to dive and to Costa Maya where we love to just walk to the town and relax or ride horses.

I have thought about taking our dress uniforms for one formal night and for pictures; but don't want people to think we are being "showy". It would be a nice opportunity to include my wife and his mother; who has supported me for many years and him for the past few.

Again, thanks so much for the ideas and the support.

Captain Ronn

The dress uniforms are a nice touch. The phot ops on board are numerous. When are you going to get a chance for an inexpensive photo like this (compared to an outside studio).

I don't think it's being showy at all - be proud to wear the uniform - we're proud of you.

Wear your dress uniform on formal night. He (& you) will get a true sense of how much our country appreciates his service.

Army Vet and wife of retired Navy man.

Great suggestion, I think you might be surprised at the reaction you may receive wearing your uniforms. If I were on that cruise with you I would feel honored to be sailing with you and your son. I know that if I happened to run into you in a bar onboard the drinks would be on me. Our son returned from Iraq just one year ago, my best friends' son is headed back in September for his second tour there in the Marines. Most of us really do appreciate the sacrifices you are making.

Archived