Palermo

We have not been to Sicily before so obviously everything will be new to us. Do we need to book a tour when we dock in Palermo or can we just walk from the ship and explore?

Hi, gill, Sicily (at least officially!:)) is part of Italy so you may get more responses if you post on the Italy forum.

We have been to Taormina previously but look forward to our first visit to Palermo (as well as three other Sicilian ports) on our upcoming October cruise.

We have not been to Sicily before so obviously everything will be new to us. Do we need to book a tour when we dock in Palermo or can we just walk from the ship and explore?

DIY is easy enough. I went to the Catacombs last July. It is about 3 miles from the port or a 2 bus job to get there (but only 1 ticket as you will be within the 75 minute limit from when you first validate it)

If you want to do this, as you leave the port area you will quickly see a small information booth where you can pick up a map. Tell the assistant you want to go to the catacombs and he/she will mark the bus stops and numbers on it. From memory it was the 104 to start, and you get out at the Palazzio de Normanni. Can't remember what number the second bus is, but if it isn't there quickly you can walk there (3/4 mile) going down the utterly unremarkable Via Cappucini until you come to a small crossroads. Turn right into Via Pindermonte, and you will see the Catacombs in 20 yards

If you go straight on instead of turning right, Via Cappucini becomes Via Guiseppe Pitre and you've gone too far so stop and turn around !

Entry to the catacombs costs 3 Euros and it is open 9-12 and 3-7, No photography is permitted, which was a blow because I like to make a video of everywhere I go on the whole cruise, but I understand it is a place for respect. It's a one-trick attraction but I was very glad I went, and the story is fascinating. Maximum half an hour needed in there. From leaving the ship reckon on an hour to get there. If you get lucky with the buses you could do it in 45 minutes, but time seeps away buying tickets from the tabacchi and locating the nearest bus stop.

Coming back I took that second bus back to the Palazzio and was going to get the 104 back to near the port but at the last minute decided to walk it, and I'm so glad I did as I went into the cathedral and saw a fair bit of intriguing architecture.

All the best

Tony

Archived