When people are planning a group cruise, why can't they...

picklebongo

post the price right on the page for everybody to see? Is it a case of trying to be coy, or does this involve some type of rule or something? It would be very helpful to just tell everybody the price after announcing a group cruise instead of having to send emails an such.

If you know the answer, please respond.

I thought the "official" group cruises were open to all interested parties. I hadn't really paid much attention but recall Host Mach posting about the next bloggers cruise. I thought everyone made their own booking arrangements.

I would say the biggest reason is because even though it's a group cruise, you can select any cabin category you want. They would have to post the cost for every cabin category on every deck plus the cost of adding additional people in each category. Some would want to book ES, some regular etc. meaning two sets of prices. Some might qualify for Military rate, some Senior Citizen's discount, some state discounts.

I believe it's because of the rule of not advertising TA names or pricing.

Official CC group cruises are set up by and booked through the travel agency department associated with Cruise Critic. They can't have a rule prohibiting advertising TA information and pricing if they allow it for themselves.

I thought the "official" group cruises were open to all interested parties. I hadn't really paid much attention but recall Host Mach posting about the next bloggers cruise. I thought everyone made their own booking arrangements.

Carnival has restrictions prohibiting advertising of lower rates than what they post - so if someone asks for a quote, they can get it - but most group cruises are typically priced below Carnival's standard price - sometimes the price is slightly higher, but when you add in the amenities offered by the cruise line and the value of said amenities (OBC, perks), the overall price comes out cheaper - therefore, you can't post it on any website as you would be advertising a "lower fare" than what is found on Carnival's site, violating their terms with travel agencies.

Plus - as another poster mentioned, any cabin category can be booked and if group prices are higher than Carnival's price, due to price reductions, the TA can call Carnival or use another price code, get the people into the group, and offer a lower price than their initial group pricing - so posting the prices would be detrimental to the group in that case, as people might decide NOT to book with the group thinking that Carnival's prices are lower, when that might not be the case.

Multiple reasons - plus the prohibition of advertising on the boards, although CC group cruises do have an exemption to some degree.

Carnival has restrictions prohibiting advertising of lower rates than what they post - so if someone asks for a quote, they can get it - but most group cruises are typically priced below Carnival's standard price - sometimes the price is slightly higher, but when you add in the amenities offered by the cruise line and the value of said amenities (OBC, perks), the overall price comes out cheaper - therefore, you can't post it on any website as you would be advertising a "lower fare" than what is found on Carnival's site, violating their terms with travel agencies.

Plus - as another poster mentioned, any cabin category can be booked and if group prices are higher than Carnival's price, due to price reductions, the TA can call Carnival or use another price code, get the people into the group, and offer a lower price than their initial group pricing - so posting the prices would be detrimental to the group in that case, as people might decide NOT to book with the group thinking that Carnival's prices are lower, when that might not be the case.

Multiple reasons - plus the prohibition of advertising on the boards, although CC group cruises do have an exemption to some degree.

Spot on... very well done!

:)

Thanks for a reasonable explanation :)

I wonder who gets the free berths on these CC group bookings? Maybe the free berth savings is split among everyone, or maybe the main organizer(s) get it? Just a curiosity thing. :)

Typically the organizer as payback for the work of setting it up.

Still have to pay the fees and taxes and tips and stuff though.

I wonder who gets the free berths on these CC group bookings? Maybe the free berth savings is split among everyone, or maybe the main organizer(s) get it? Just a curiosity thing. :)

In all the CC group sailings I've been on the organizer gets the discount, but it's after the fact. And I can tell you in our case it's well deserved and doesn't come anywhere close to rewarding them for all of the time and effort they put into organizing one of these large group cruises. I think the smallest group we've ever had was in the low hundreds and the largest closer to 300.

I've heard it equated to attempting to herd cats!!!!!!!

Archived