Olden

C at Sea

Have decided to "suck it up", as the teenagers say, and have booked the railway in Flaam. However looking at Olden - whats anyone's experience on the railway there. Is it the same situation - will it be difficult to get on it independently?

Also is there much in Bergen? If we have to buy all the ship's excursions its going to cost us more than the cruise!!

Have decided to "suck it up", as the teenagers say, and have booked the railway in Flaam. However looking at Olden - whats anyone's experience on the railway there. Is it the same situation - will it be difficult to get on it independently?

Also is there much in Bergen? If we have to buy all the ship's excursions its going to cost us more than the cruise!!

I've posted something similar regarding the excursions C! If we did one in every port its going to cost us more then the entire cruise!! But then again, not a lot of people know of any independent tour guides in the Fjords!

is there much in Bergen? yes !!! Lots, the biggest port town of the cruise, no need to do a excursion. Ther funnicular railway is the most popular here, walk thru town, and see the interesting market, to the funnicular station - try to get there by 11am as it gets very busy and queues form for the 2 cars that go up and down... The views from the top are lovely. There are shops and cafes, and those coloured houses by the martket which you see in all fjords photos, have a good day there. I'm there too in a months time.

Like you have booked the Flaam railway trip. In savanger i am doing the 2 hr walking tour in the morning around the town with a guide, as its a Sunday may not be much else to do, so at least will learn a bit about the town, That finishes at noon so will go back onboard for lunch then perhaps have another walk around after. Last time I was there did pulpit rock boat trip with P&O, which was great too, stopping for coffee and waffles at cafe on a fjord surrounded by water and mountains. I did see independent boats berthed by the ship as well so you maybe able to buy tickets for pulpit rock yourself which maybe a bit cheaper.

Having looked at my research again, think it was Olden I was most wanting advice about as it doesn't look as if theres a great deal there except P&O trip to the Birksdal Glacier. Any advice eg local tours there etc much appreciated!

Olden was my favourite port C.... go back to link above for Bergen, and go left arrow backwards to see :

The tourist train berthed outside the ship at Olden (£15pp ) but well worth it for the spectacular views as the little train takes you through village and all around the lake pictured , see mountains with snow and waterfalls....

Or, walk along flat paths just to village with few shops and church,plenty of photos to be taken...

We did that in the morning and the Briksdal Glacier P&O trip in afternoon... its well worth doing, you may only go this way once ... (well, I am going again a month tomorrow lol,) but you never know..

Archived