Altun Ha ruins - lots of walking?

wshzgr

We will be in Belize in June. We have a 80yr old grandma and a little 4yr old with us. I am thinking of booking the Altun Ha and the Belize city tour with Carnival. The grandma cannot walk long. Are there lots of walking visiting the Altun Ha ruins? Is it wheelchair/stroller accessible? Is there any wheelchair renting service available in Belize?

Thanks.

I did this tour with a private tour guide in a van, however, I think it is very similar. The city tour does not involve any walking. There was only one photo stop. The Altun Ha ruins are a good way out of town. I think it is only 30 miles--but, the last part of the trip is on not the best road. At the ruins the grandma will need to walk some to even get to the ruins. Then she can sit on the stone steps. I am not sure the 4 yr old would be able to climb to the top of the one ruin.

I am a fit 60 something. I walk 1-2 miles most days. I was tired when I got back to the van. Also, it is very tropical and hot/sticky. They have restrooms and sell water. We brought plenty of our own.

Having said that--I would not have missed it for the world.

Just returned from this tour, it is not wheelchair accessable imho. The ruins were fabulous, but the tour dropped us off about 3 blocks from the ship at a restaurant they wanted us to go to, not at the port where we started from. City tour is a bus ride through an impoverished city coming and going. Not really much to see. Also, it was extremely hot. Not sure you want to bring grandma there!

I would not use a wheelchair on the paths around the ruins. You "may" be able to manage the stroller. (over grass, dirt, roots and some rocks) It is mostly flat.

Another thing to consider is what you will do when you get to the larger ruins that you climb on and/or over. This will not be possible for Grandma and child.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just returned from this tour, it is not wheelchair accessable imho. The ruins were fabulous, but the tour dropped us off about 3 blocks from the ship at a restaurant they wanted us to go to, not at the port where we started from. City tour is a bus ride through an impoverished city coming and going. Not really much to see. Also, it was extremely hot. Not sure you want to bring grandma there!

I did this tour and from what I read they must have tricked us b/c the ruins were the worst I've ever seen. Just a long L shaped configuration. I didn't climb up. What am I missing? I didn't like the excursion at all. None of the 25 or so people on the bus thought much of it either. We had gone on the River Wallace first and saw very little wild life other than a few birds.

We did the Altun Ha/ River Wallace trip as well and had a fantastic time. We actually saw qite a bit of wildlife including a Howler Monkeys, Dolphins, bats, some cool birds, a baby crocodile and iguanas. The River Wallace portion was very cool. After the River we went to Altun Ha which I wouldnt classify as a tough walk but a wheelchair would not be happening.

Here is a pic of the smaller ruins

MG6493-L.jpg

Here is one of the large ruin. The climb to the top was tough but INCREDIBLE views.

MG6503-L.jpg

Archived