HoustonHobby 2 Galveston R.T. Transportation

typerdude55

My info for a one-way car rental IAH-Galveston Port via Enterprise car rental is exactly as I described: Totals $72 with all taxes/fees 24 hours.

And my Advantage car rental for 7 days totals $99 and change including taxes/fees.

However, I am now not using the one-way Enterprise rental and just renting from Advantage for $99/7 days (6 days really) plus the EZ Park $35 port car lot, making a grand total of $134 dollars. Much more economical, right, than a limo? Best Wishes, Mark

Write if you have any more questions for me.

My info for a one-way car rental IAH-Galveston Port via Enterprise car rental is exactly as I described: Totals $72 with all taxes/fees 24 hours.

And my Advantage car rental for 7 days totals $99 and change including taxes/fees.

However, I am now not using the one-way Enterprise rental and just renting from Advantage for $99/7 days (6 days really) plus the EZ Park $35 port car lot, making a grand total of $134 dollars. Much more economical, right, than a limo? Best Wishes, Mark

Write if you have any more questions for me.

Hi Mark,

Did you book Advantage online?

Every quote I am getting from any source at IAH (best for my dates ~ $120/week) - then an additional $90 in fees and taxes.

I tried renting from HOU to compare, and the fees and taxes are comparable.

ARE YOU quoting from IAH? may I ask what dates?

And the 7-day parking seems to be $50 (online rate) -- where are you getting $35 for 7 days? Is there a discount code or secret handshake?

If I can do a week-long car rental (actually need 8 days) + parking for less than $200 all-in, then I'd book it instantly. But if I have to spend more, I'll use limos.

Thanks for sharing.

J

Minor update:

Costco travel offers a slight discount at a few rental car agencies...Enterprise from IAH for 8 days with all taxes can be had for $213 - so we're getting close enough to the magic number that with $50 for parking we're almost at parity with the taxi/car hire -- and the flexibility the car will afford us is preferred.

Tried pricelining a rental car -- but rejected -- will keep trying to shave another $50 off the car rental out of principle.

Hi, Carpeperdiem I am so sorry. My fault. I kept seeing your airport acronym of IAH and it kept registering Houston Hobby in my head. My car rental quote of 1 week at Hobby for $99 was from Houston Hobby, not Bush Int'l Houston. The rental is on line through carrentals.com maybe you can get a good rate to Bush through them anyway though it is a bit more of a distance to Galveston. Maybe that affects rental rates. Don't know. See below for my copies rental reservation info. Mark

The rental is through Drop-Off Location:

HOBBY AIRPORT (HOU)

HOUSTON HOBBY INT AIRPORT (HOU) TX, US

7800 AIRPORT BLVD

HOUSTON, TX 77061

Pick-Up Date/Time: Friday, August 3, 3:00 PM

Drop-Off Date/Time: Thursday, August 9, 11:00 AM

Vehicle Type: Compact

Features: Automatic, Air Conditioning, Unlimited Mileage

1 Week @ $68.77/week = $68.77

Estimated Taxes and Fees: $30.42

TOTAL ESTIMATED CHARGES: $99.19

My mistake again. The $35 EZ Cruise parking was for 5 days and not 7. That's probably why the discrepancy.

Total Charged:35.00Cruise Information:Carnival Triumph departing on 8/4/2012 for 5 DaysServices Purchased:Outdoor Parking: 1 Vehicle

I hope this clears things up. Mark

Pick-Up Date/Time: Friday, August 3, 3:00 PM

Drop-Off Date/Time: Thursday, August 9, 11:00 AM

Vehicle Type: Compact

Features: Automatic, Air Conditioning, Unlimited Mileage

1 Week @ $68.77/week = $68.77

Estimated Taxes and Fees: $30.42

TOTAL ESTIMATED CHARGES: $99.19

Hi Mark,

Yes! IAH rates are substantially more than HOU due to airport fees that the rental cos are permitted to surcharge the customer. Your rental at IAH would be $62 more.

Additionally, 3 weeks later, it must be an inventory situation, since the same rental on Aug 25 is more than twice the price (from both HOU or IAH).

No worries at all... my current res is still a better deal than limos, and I have tons of flexibility now.

Have a great trip!

Jeremy

Anyone ever consider swapping your rental car with people at the pier. It would just have way too much liability, but imagine just getting a 1 day rental rate for round trip out of Hobby. We fly in on a Saturday, and as long as the car would be dropped off by Sunday at 6pm, we would be golden. Just don't tell the rental agency.:D

This could work. Just put both persons down as drivers and go ahead and buy their insurance per pay the gas. If it never shows up report it stolen. You have the insurance. Rent for Enterprise so if something happens you can drop it off in Galveston. Maybe a little risky but might be worth looking into.

• 6 months later...

Where did you get your one-way rental car from Enterprise? Online or Hobby Airport? I tried to get one online & was told there were no one-way car rentals from Hobby to Galveston...would like to get one for March 29 if you can help with your advice...thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Doing the math myself and chose to do car rental for the duration and park.

We're flying into HOU instead of IAH. That makes a lot of difference. 8-day Disney Magic on March 29. Here's what I've been deciding between:

1) Super Shuttle ... $130 each way, hotel in Galveston, grand total about $350.

2) Taxis ... Similar price to super shuttle.

3) One way car rentals ... $165 each way on Enterprise. Grand total with hotel closer to $425.

4) Rent car for the duration ... $215 for the eight days. Parking is free at some hotels (staying at Harbor House and was told that parking for the cruise duration is free at its sister property, the hotel galvez). Cost is around $315 with the hotel included and using free parking. Rental car from IAH is closer to $350 for the duration, but also the supershuttle/taxi price goes up too.

5) Country Inn & Suites Houston Hobby has a deal for $200 you get one night's stay and shuttles to and from the cruise port and to and from the airport. Pretty good deal if you ask me, but the wife wants to stay in Galveston the night before, so we're doing that.

I'm going with option 4 because we have a super late flight on our return and it's the most economical. $200 for RT transportation that we control is pretty nice if you ask me.

Recently stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, Galveston. They have a brand new Mercedes Van they use to transport people from airport to hotel. Cost from IAH is $125/2 adults, $15 extra person and from Hobby $85/2 adults, $10 extra person. I would call them for details.

• 3 months later...

I understand that this post is geared toward traveling from Hobby to Galveston...however, does anyone know about transportation from Hobby to the new cruise terminal Bayport? I normally cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and am really accustomed to a 5 min. taxi ride from the airport or grabbing the shuttle from our hotel across the street, and this is definitely not the case in Houston.

Archived