Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Jasper

One of the highlights of this trip is to go on the Rocky Mountaineer train with an overnight stay in Kamloops. Hopefully it will be as good as highlighted in the travel information we have been sent.

We are going Red Leaf, as Gold Leaf seems so terribly expensive, and wondered whether anybody had had experience of this?

I am also wondering if you know what hotels they use in Kamloops and can give any advice on what to do for the few hours we have available there.

It is a spectacular trip and one the I am certain that you will and enjoy and remember for many years. I am sure that you are aware that with the Red Leaf Service you will be traveling in a traditional coach and will not have access to the dome car. As for hotels, I did know the hotels at one point but their business has grown a great deal in the past decade and I am no longer up to speed on that topic. However some years ago they purchased the Thompson Hotel and did quite a job remodeling it and it may well be where they would put you up...that said I wouldn't be aft raid to ask them the question. I always find Kamloops a bit sleepy unless I am there to golf but here is a link that may give you some ideas on what to do.

http://www.thompsonhotel.ca/

http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_showSection_ID_560.html

No idea which hotels the Rocky Mountaineer has deals with I'm afraid, but I can recommend the Noble Pig Brewhouse if you enjoy good beer - it's right at the front of the Thompson Hotel PD mentioned. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and beer sampling here while passing through the Rockies last summer - very passionate brewmaster and chef who ensure good pairings between the beers and the food.

We also enjoyed our wander around the Kamloops Museum and if you find yourself in need of something to read then At Second Glance is a lovely big bookstore full of 'pre-loved' tomes.

Archived