Help with Gulf Coast resort to rent villa

tine-tine

My DH and I are travelling from Scotland in January to escape the cold prior to our Equinox cruise, anyone have suggestions what would be a good area to rent a villa for a week. We were looking for somewhere with dining in walking distance and preferably on Gulf Coast area as I believe that is warmer! We will rent a car and use that to get to Port Everglades. We were also thinking of the Keys but were not sure of vacation rentals in that area so thought we could just drive down. Am I being realistic?

My DH and I are travelling from Scotland in January to escape the cold prior to our Equinox cruise, anyone have suggestions what would be a good area to rent a villa for a week. We were looking for somewhere with dining in walking distance and preferably on Gulf Coast area as I believe that is warmer! We will rent a car and use that to get to Port Everglades. We were also thinking of the Keys but were not sure of vacation rentals in that area so thought we could just drive down. Am I being realistic?

Yes; and, there are a plethora of fine gulf front condos on the west coast all the way from Siesta Key south. Best spots would be Siesta key Island, Sanibel Island, Estero Island, Marco Island, and the keys. Keep in mind that the water temperature in January will probably be in the upper 6o's, which probably won't bother y'all, but does bother most of the locals. Of course, all of these condos have heated pools.

We spent a week this January between cruises in Naples on the Gulf of Mexico. We had wonderful weather and enjoyed the beautiful beaches. We did not rent a villa though. We did think of doing this but found a lot rentals were monthly. Lots of snowbirds. They were also a lot more expensive than the hotel we stayed in. It's a very easy drive to Port Everglades.

One nice spot is a condo where we owned a two bedroom unit for ten years is the Caper Beach Club on Estero Island (Ft. Myers Beach). The only problem is that all of the units are two bedrooms, except two which are one bedroom. Of course, a couple can rent a two bedroom unit, but is more expensive than a one bedroom unit.

I recommend Hawk's Cay on Duck Key located at mile marker 61. I spent 4 days there earlier this month and loved it. They have villas available or hotel rooms. A couple of restarants on the property as well as a lounge and ice cream shop. Two pools, one aduly only, very peaceful. Things to do or just relax. Phone number.....888-395-5539. Good luck!

One word....Marco Island (oops, that's two words!).

About 40 minute drive from Ft. Myers Airport (RSW) and about 1 1/2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale (easy drive)

Beautiful beaches, stunning sunsets, can walk just about anywhere (stores, restaurants, etc.). The closest to a Caribbean island, IMO.

One word....Marco Island (oops, that's two words!).

About 40 minute drive from Ft. Myers Airport (RSW) and about 1 1/2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale (easy drive)

Beautiful beaches, stunning sunsets, can walk just about anywhere (stores, restaurants, etc.). The closest to a Caribbean island, IMO.

It is beautiful, but there are only two or three beachfront condos which rent for less than two weeks. By the way, we returned a wee bit ago from one of our day trips to Sanibel Island; and, it is also very close to a Caribbean Island. As you are probably aware, Arthur Frommer recently declared it as his number one vacation spot in the world, even ahead of Paris France.

Archived