Most unique item to buy

CBCGirl

I am going on a cave tubing excursion so I know I will have an extreamly limited time to do any shopping. Any time I go some place new I like to buy something unique to that place, typically a local Artisan type craft. Does anyone have any suggestions, and possibly pictures if you have them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ship in a Bottle! Its basically just as its name says it is and it will have you wondering how they get a ship into a perfectly sealed glass bottle. The Craftsman had to set up the ship piece by piece in one little bottle, its pretty cool when you come to think of it. You can find it at some sales vendor if you look good enough!!! :cool:

There are a couple of nice little artisan shops behind the wet Lizard, which is hard to miss. I know my partner bought some stuff in those shops, but don't recall which ones

Me, I went for Bellikan (sp?) beer coozie. Hardly drink a bottle of better without it.

Hugh in Dallas.

• 3 weeks later...

Me, I went for Bellikan (sp?) beer coozie. .

Belikin. I brought some back with me. As well as the previously mentioned Marie Sharp's sauce.

Actually, the most unique items to buy are found in Hattieville prison gift shop. The prisoners support themselves by creating and selling crafts. We bought necklaces, but you can get items all the way to a mahogany hand carved entry door.

Be careful about wood carvings. They may not get through U.S. customs/USDA (even if you don't live on the U.S. but that's likely where you will disembark).

Why would there be problems with bringing wood carvings in? I went to Costa Rica a few years ago and I brought back a TON of stuff that was made out of wood, I even claimed the items so customs knew about them. Have the laws changed in the last few years?

In Belize:

Barrel 1 Rum

Cashew Wine

Belikin Beer

Marie Sharps Sauce

Eat some Gibnut

that was our "Must" list and we completed it!

All these things are cheaper away from the Liquor and Tourist shops in the gate. Booze was much cheaper than the gated liquor place.

Archived