Pre-Cruise Hotel and Other Questions

kcam213

Hi all. I;m a 2nd time cruiser but first time on Disney cruise; (6-20-12 Dream)

My DH and DD (12) are first time cruisers so I want things to be planned well. :)

First I am flying in to Orlando the day before due to late flights day off cruise.

1. I can't decide if I should get hotel in Orlando or in Port Canaveral. I need help deciding;

If I stay in Orlando, I believe I will get a better port time. I have already paid for DCL transfers and I've read that your boarding time with transfers will happen when the bus arrives at port.

I have not completed my online check in because I am still waiting on pass port for DD.

That is my 2nd question; DH and I have our pass ports but DD does not. Can I check in online without her information, just use the birth certificate option to complete the process.... and then add her passport information later when it comes in? I want to check in asap but I haven't because of this passport issue.

also I am trying to consider what to do in Orlando vs Port Canaveral. Everything is so expensive. I don't want to pay for $85 per person for 1/2 day at Universal. And even Kennedy space center is pretty steep... also around $60 - 80. And I don't think my family is all THAT interested in going to the space museum.

Lastly

I am a little nervous about my 12 year old having complete free rein on the ship. Is it normal for kids at 12 to walk around for hours without adult supervision? I am planning on checking her into the clubs but I understand that the Edge does not have check-in so I would not know if she has left unless she calls. I do feel comfortable leaving her home alone for short periods to go to the corner store... but with strict instructions to lock the doors, no answering doors.. stay indoors... etc. On a cruise ship she will be out and about. And I can't help but worry that an older male (teen or older) might approach her thinking she is older than her age (she looks older/body development). I just worry that as a little girl in an older girl's body that she might attract unwanted attention and not know how to handle it. ( know I am probably overreacting... but I am being honest.)

I also don't know which club to use. I read that 12 yo can be a member of the Edge and guest of the Lab for specific activities. But now I am reading about a stricter age grouping since January. Does this mean that kids can't switch now?

And for those who used the Edge... is there a lot for the kids to do? My dd is only child and we are not going with anyone else. So any socialization for her will be the people she meets on the ship. She is outgoing, but I still think it would be more comfortable (less stress) to be in a club that have more structured group activities so that if she happens to not "bond" with someone that day in the club, she can still have fun because the activities are more structured.

Frankly, the Edge looks like a place with bean bags, and video games. So if you don't have anyone to hang out with... you are going to be watching other people having fun with their own little groups.

Thanks in advance, and sorry so long. :rolleyes:

My DH and DD (12) are first time cruisers so I want things to be planned well. :)

First I am flying in to Orlando the day before due to late flights day off cruise.

1. I can't decide if I should get hotel in Orlando or in Port Canaveral. I need help deciding;

If I stay in Orlando, I believe I will get a better port time. I have already paid for DCL transfers and I've read that your boarding time with transfers will happen when the bus arrives at port.

I have not completed my online check in because I am still waiting on pass port for DD.

That is my 2nd question; DH and I have our pass ports but DD does not. Can I check in online without her information, just use the birth certificate option to complete the process.... and then add her passport information later when it comes in? I want to check in asap but I haven't because of this passport issue.

also I am trying to consider what to do in Orlando vs Port Canaveral. Everything is so expensive. I don't want to pay for $85 per person for 1/2 day at Universal. And even Kennedy space center is pretty steep... also around $60 - 80. And I don't think my family is all THAT interested in going to the space museum.

Lastly

I am a little nervous about my 12 year old having complete free rein on the ship. Is it normal for kids at 12 to walk around for hours without adult supervision? I am planning on checking her into the clubs but I understand that the Edge does not have check-in so I would not know if she has left unless she calls. I do feel comfortable leaving her home alone for short periods to go to the corner store... but with strict instructions to lock the doors, no answering doors.. stay indoors... etc. On a cruise ship she will be out and about. And I can't help but worry that an older male (teen or older) might approach her thinking she is older than her age (she looks older/body development). I just worry that as a little girl in an older girl's body that she might attract unwanted attention and not know how to handle it. ( know I am probably overreacting... but I am being honest.)

I also don't know which club to use. I read that 12 yo can be a member of the Edge and guest of the Lab for specific activities. But now I am reading about a stricter age grouping since January. Does this mean that kids can't switch now?

And for those who used the Edge... is there a lot for the kids to do? My dd is only child and we are not going with anyone else. So any socialization for her will be the people she meets on the ship. She is outgoing, but I still think it would be more comfortable (less stress) to be in a club that have more structured group activities so that if she happens to not "bond" with someone that day in the club, she can still have fun because the activities are more structured.

Frankly, the Edge looks like a place with bean bags, and video games. So if you don't have anyone to hang out with... you are going to be watching other people having fun with their own little groups.

If you get a hotel in Port Canaveral I don't think you can use the DCL transfer to the ship.

Pretty sure they don't have a transfer the day before the cruise.

Port Canaveral is about 45 minutes to an hour from Orlando and is only minutes to the pier.

Bill

^

thanks for your reply. I thought if I decided to go with PC, that I would cancel the transfers. Hmm... maybe I can not. If that is the case,then my choices have become much easier.

:D

OK wasn't sure if you knew that or not.

I am sure you can cancel the transfers if you wanted.

we actually came in the day before and stayed at an airport hotel we got on priceline real cheap and took their shuttle back to the shuttle back to the airport the next day.

The DCL transfer got the juices flowing watching videos of the ship on the way to the pier.

Most people stay at Radisson at the port or Country Inn and Suites unless you want to stay on the beach the day before.

Bill

Bill

Lastly

It sounds like you might be more comfortable with your daughter in the younger group, and I don't blame you. Too many parents are trying to make their kids grow up too quickly these days. As far as free reign, simply tell her no. If she wants to leave the club, she needs to call and you can go get her. You're the parent, you make the rules. The club staff will have no problem calling you at her request.

You can go back in and add her passport info at a later date.

I would stay in Orlando. We have a lot of things to do here other than the typical tourist stuff. We have the Orlando Science Museum, you can rent bikes and ride the West Orange Trail, you can swim in Wekiwa Springs, visit Lake Eola to see our beautiful swans and take a ride in a swan boat, the list goes on.

If you search "navigators" on the forum, you can bring up threads that include navigators from past cruises. Reading through some of those may give you an idea of the planned activities for the kids' clubs.

I was nervous the first time we took our children on a cruise, but I was pleasantly surprised. The fellow passengers were just like us, families hoping to enjoy a fun week. By the second day, my kids knew the ship better than me.

My son wil be 12 when we sail in August, so I am looking at the clubs also. My only concern about the younger club is, that if it is full of kids who are 8 & under, he will most certainly want to be with kids his own age. I do hope he can go back & forth between clubs, as there are activities in both areas that interest him.

I don't know what time your flight arrives in Orlando, but the local water parks make for a fun afternoon. My kids adore Blizzard Beach. Maybe one of those would be a fun filler activity???

Good luck planning & have a great vacation!

We stay in Orlando and do the transfers. Our last trip we spent the day at Downtown Disney, good times had walking, shopping, hitting the arcade, and then dinner. We like the transfers, as someone else mentioned, it gets the cruise juices flowing and the kids get amped up.

As far as the Edge. My oldest son was 11 when we took our first 7 Day DCL cruise and he was fine in the Edge. He was instructed to page us (wave phone wasn't available then) when he was leaving tol tell us where he was going. Our cruise in January he was 13, he had a wave phone, he would text us, but we gave him the okay to go and leave as he pleased. He was very good at letting us know what was happening.

What time is your flight the day before? We are not arriving until late so made our choice easier. We are staying right at Hyatt at MCO and will take Disney transfer to the port in the morning. DCL will take your luggage right from your room at the Hyatt.

It sounds like you might be more comfortable with your daughter in the younger group, and I don't blame you. Too many parents are trying to make their kids grow up too quickly these days. As far as free reign, simply tell her no. If she wants to leave the club, she needs to call and you can go get her. You're the parent, you make the rules. The club staff will have no problem calling you at her request.

I would stay in Orlando. We have a lot of things to do here other than the typical tourist stuff. We have the Orlando Science Museum, you can rent bikes and ride the West Orange Trail, you can swim in Wekiwa Springs, visit Lake Eola to see our beautiful swans and take a ride in a swan boat, the list goes on.

I have the same kind of question,looking for a hotel in Orlando,with airport shuttle as we have the transfer booked,BUT we would like a hotel close to a Wal.Mart as well...a little pre cruise shopping ducklite can you suggest a hotel.

There are no hotels within reasonable walking distance of a Wal-Mart that would have an airport shuttle and the closest Wal-Mart would still be a $10-15 (each way plus tip) cab ride to the Wal-Mart out on Goldenrod or in Fern Park.

I'd suggest staying in one of the hotels on Semoran around TG Lee or Hazeltine National (there are any number of places, your budget and how many in your party will determine which is the right one for you) most of those have a shuttle. There is a well stocked Walgreens about 1/4 mile north at Lee Vista and Semoran and any number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotels in that vicinity.

Joining in! Thought I'd give you a bit about our past cruises! We have been on 5 Disney Cruises the past 6 years ( all on the Magic) and I am still trying to figure things out! lol

We live in Michigan and have always flown in a day ahead...we're neurotic like that! The first four cruises, we always stayed at Radisson Resort at the Port in Port Canaveral. Can't say enough good things about this hotel. We used Happy Limo shuttle service every time and they have never done us wrong. Our 5th cruise, we stayed at Disney's Pop Century, just to mix it up. We wanted to go to Downtown Disney and were also getting a little bored with the Radisson.

This year, we'll be taking our 6th DC on the Fantasy in Sept. We booked rooms at the new Art of Animation but actually just cancelled them today. Why, you ask? lol Well, we have read so many positive reviews about the Hyatt Regency at MCO airport and felt this would be a better alternative. I really like the idea of having everything done before we get to the Cruise Terminal. We get to check in for the cruise, get our KTTW cards, photo id's taken...etc. That just sounded like a lot less hassle for us. We're a party of four: DH, myself, and two daughter's ages 16 and 12.

Now, call us horrible, or don't...BUT...We have let our 12 yo dd have full reign of the ship since our 2nd cruise! She would've been 7 years old! I do believe Disney lists that as an appropriate age but then obviously use your best judgement. You know your daughter better than anyone. I felt this to be ok since she knew where everything on the ship was, BETTER than we did! hahaha

We also took along a magnetic dry erase board and would check in constantly as to where and what we were all doing. It worked out pretty well.

My 12 yo dd has never really had any experience outside of the Oceaneer Club and/or Lab so this year she's very excited to be going to the EDGE. It's more her speed. She's very social and independent and can find fun anywhere and with anyone. We're very lucky that way.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on...hope you have a great Cruise and looking forward to reading about it when you're back! Take care!!

This year, we'll be taking our 6th DC on the Fantasy in Sept. We booked rooms at the new Art of Animation but actually just cancelled them today. Why, you ask? lol Well, we have read so many positive reviews about the Hyatt Regency at MCO airport and felt this would be a better alternative. I really like the idea of having everything done before we get to the Cruise Terminal. We get to check in for the cruise, get our KTTW cards, photo id's taken...etc. That just sounded like a lot less hassle for us. We're a party of four: DH, myself, and two daughter's ages 16 and 12.

We are also staying at the Hyatt MCO in July for our cruise on the Fantasy. I didn't know we could check in for the cruise, get cards, photos, etc. Where did find this information? I would love to read up what they offer. Thanks! :)

If you search "navigators" on the forum, you can bring up threads that include navigators from past cruises. Reading through some of those may give you an idea of the planned activities for the kids' clubs.

I was nervous the first time we took our children on a cruise, but I was pleasantly surprised. The fellow passengers were just like us, families hoping to enjoy a fun week. By the second day, my kids knew the ship better than me.

My son wil be 12 when we sail in August, so I am looking at the clubs also. My only concern about the younger club is, that if it is full of kids who are 8 & under, he will most certainly want to be with kids his own age. I do hope he can go back & forth between clubs, as there are activities in both areas that interest him.

I don't know what time your flight arrives in Orlando, but the local water parks make for a fun afternoon. My kids adore Blizzard Beach. Maybe one of those would be a fun filler activity???

I would not worry about her going around on her own. Our kids were 13, 13, & 10 when we went and they could check themselves in and out. She can only go so far and there employees everywhere so she can ask one of them for help. Plus, just give her one of the wave phones from the room and she can contact you anytime. It's her vacation too and if she is anything like our kids, they didn't want to be attached to mom and dad all day.

I would not worry about her going around on her own. Our kids were 13, 13, & 10 when we went and they could check themselves in and out. She can only go so far and there employees everywhere so she can ask one of them for help. Plus, just give her one of the wave phones from the room and she can contact you anytime. It's her vacation too and if she is anything like our kids, they didn't want to be attached to mom and dad all day.

But your kids were able to travel together--safety in numbers.

Indeed there is safety in numbers, but if a 12 year old has a wave phone and stays in public areas of the ship, it should be extremely difficult for her to find trouble. Not impossible, but difficult. If the 12 year old is a poor decision maker or prone to digging up trouble, then by all means keep her attached to you at all times.

It is very common to see groups of kids walking around cruise ships together. It totally depends on your child's maturity level and how comfortable she is having some independence.

I wouldn't worry very much about it. Get on the ship, get a feel for it and go from there.

Thanks again for your reply. I am also looking on price line. I wish I could figure out which one has airport shuttle.

there

OK wasn't sure if you knew that or not.

I am sure you can cancel the transfers if you wanted.

we actually came in the day before and stayed at an airport hotel we got on priceline real cheap and took their shuttle back to the shuttle back to the airport the next day.

The DCL transfer got the juices flowing watching videos of the ship on the way to the pier.

Most people stay at Radisson at the port or Country Inn and Suites unless you want to stay on the beach the day before.

Bill

Bill

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know about all the things to do in Orlando. I guess my decision has been made. I will stay in Orlando instead of Port Canaveral. We will have fun going to downtown disney and shopping.

Oh, I guess I should ask, is downtown Disney kid friendly?

oh thanks fr the tip of the navigators. I will look through them. Now I am really getting excited.

I believe my flight lands in MCO around 1pm This is why I had to go the day before cruie because the fights Ihave available lands around 1 pm.

I am looking at the Hyatt or Marriott. which one is attached to the airport?

What time is your flight the day before? We are not arriving until late so made our choice easier. We are staying right at Hyatt at MCO and will take Disney transfer to the port in the morning. DCL will take your luggage right from your room at the Hyatt.

Wow, howdy neighbor!I wish you were on our cruise. My dd is 12. we lived just outside of Ann Arbor.

I am leaning toward the Hyatt for the reasons you have described.

Joining in! Thought I'd give you a bit:mad: about our past cruises! We have been on 5 Disney Cruises the past 6 years ( all on the Magic) and I am still trying to figure things out! lol

We live in Michigan and have always flown in a day ahead...we're neurotic like that! The first four cruises, we always stayed at Radisson Resort at the Port in Port Canaveral. Can't say enough good things about this hotel. We used Happy Limo shuttle service every time and they have never done us wrong. Our 5th cruise, we stayed at Disney's Pop Century, just to mix it up. We wanted to go to Downtown Disney and were also getting a little bored with the Radisson.

Now, call us horrible, or don't...BUT...We have let our 12 yo dd have full reign of the ship since our 2nd cruise! She would've been 7 years old! I do believe Disney lists that as an appropriate age but then obviously use your best judgement. You know your daughter better than anyone. I felt this to be ok since she knew where everything on the ship was, BETTER than we did! hahaha

We also took along a magnetic dry erase board and would check in constantly as to where and what we were all doing. It worked out pretty well.

My 12 yo dd has never really had any experience outside of the Oceaneer Club and/or Lab so this year she's very excited to be going to the EDGE. It's more her speed. She's very social and independent and can find fun anywhere and with anyone. We're very lucky that way.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on...hope you have a great Cruise and looking forward to reading about it when you're back! Take care!!

We are also staying at the Hyatt MCO in July for our cruise on the Fantasy. I didn't know we could check in for the cruise, get cards, photos, etc. Where did find this information? I would love to read up what they offer. Thanks! :)

In order to do this, you need to have Disney transfers (at least the one way from MCO to the port).

You do NOT have to stay at the Hyatt MCO to get the early check in. You simply need to be at the Disney transfer desk in the airport the morning of the cruise. Thus you could stay at another hotel and simply get yourself to the airport the morning of your cruise.

HOWEVER, the Hyatt MCO is convenient because it is in the airport itself (part of the terminal) and they also have a program where they will take your luggage from your Hyatt room and you won't see it again until you board the cruise ship and get to your room. So in terms of taking the Disney transportation from MCO, the Hyatt is the most convenient hotel. But it is not the cheapest.

But your kids were able to travel together--safety in numbers.

yes, this is something to consider. I am finding myself being concerned about my very naive and mature looking preteen being deceived etc by an older male.

I can't help but worry.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know about all the things to do in Orlando. I guess my decision has been made. I will stay in Orlando instead of Port Canaveral. We will have fun going to downtown disney and shopping.

Oh, I guess I should ask, is downtown Disney kid friendly?

Downtown Disney is very kid friendly, but mostly just shopping, which might get boring after a bit.

I believe my flight lands in MCO around 1pm This is why I had to go the day before cruie because the fights Ihave available lands around 1 pm.

I am looking at the Hyatt or Marriott. which one is attached to the airport?

The Hyatt is in the airport.

But if you want to go to Downtown Disney, it doesn't make sense to stay at the Hyatt.

Archived