Question about Quest dining

Nigella

I posted this yesterday on another thread but my post has been overlooked (I imagine I should have started a separate thread and my post was seen as 'thread jacking' for which I apologise), so here it is copied and pasted directly from the other.

I'd really be happy to get a reply or two :

Something that is confusing me about the dining on the big sisters is this. Is the Restaurant open for breakfast and lunch or not? I'm a little concerned because I have read a couple of posts that say the Colonnade can be like a 'zoo' for both of these meal times. My sensibilities don't cope too well with a 'zoo' for any meal, particularly breakfast. I'm happy to have room service breakfast now and then but really not every day.

I posted this yesterday on another thread but my post has been overlooked (I imagine I should have started a separate thread and my post was seen as 'thread jacking' for which I apologise), so here it is copied and pasted directly from the other.

I'd really be happy to get a reply or two :

Something that is confusing me about the dining on the big sisters is this. Is the Restaurant open for breakfast and lunch or not? I'm a little concerned because I have read a couple of posts that say the Colonnade can be like a 'zoo' for both of these meal times. My sensibilities don't cope too well with a 'zoo' for any meal, particularly breakfast. I'm happy to have room service breakfast now and then but really not every day.

Yes generally the Restaurant is ALWAYS open for breakfast and from time to time do close it for Lunch but the Colonnade and Patio Grill are always open in that case.

If you time your meals in the Colonnade generally after the tours leave the ship then you will have that ZOO environment you are referring to.

Hi Nigella,

I have been on two cruises, on the bigger vessels (Sojourn and Odyssey) and cannot recall a "zoo" environment ever for breakfast. It is true, there are a few guests, which drastically reduces when the excursions are being called for. But it is by no means a zoo.

I had breakfast in the Restaurant a few times and enjoyed a very quiet moment of refection time, but having it there seems to dampen the feel of being in port. I personally prefer the Colonnade, where you can look out, embrace the air and views over a nice cup of tea.

Enjoy and watch those kilos, you'll add some for sure !

Thank you both for the replies, I'm pleased to hear that there is a choice available particularly at breakfast.

Alfa, I was rather shocked to read that any of the public spaces onboard a luxury cruise ship could be described as a zoo, I must admit! Isn't that one of the reasons we choose the likes of SB or Silversea, the lack of crowds and zoo-like atmostphere? I do understand that the restaurants will be busy at certain times more than others, I just don't want to feel as if I'm eating in the midst of a bun fight or similar chaos. Especially first thing in the morning. My 'first thing' being around 9am ;)

I've only heard good things about the quality of the food on Seabourn, so I'll be mindful of the possibility of weight gain. :D

Nigella

On the Quest, we, apart from one day, ate breakfast in the Colonnade and yes it does get busy at times, particularly if it's a nice sunny morning and everyone wants to dine outside! But the staff cope admirably and we never ever felt like we were in a canteen! But I do understand the reference term "zoo" as sometimes people do forget their manners and push in, oh yes even on Seabourn! I even experienced one gentleman trying to toast those wonderful generously sized croissants through the moving toaster! Result, the toaster caught fire, his actions blow on the flames! Good grief, I called the nearest member of staff and as the smoke was billowing out of the machine, the maitre d rushed over and I thought he was going to explode! And quite right too! The man's comments, "oh well I did it yesterday and it was ok!" unbelievable! As a member of staff said to him, "Sir, all you had to do was ask me and I would have been delighted to warm your croissants for you." And your "first thing" is like our "first thing", so you'll be fine!

We found the one day we had breakfast in the MDR, there was no atmosphere at all - we rather liked the congeniality of the Colonnade and although We do like to eat breakfast as a couple, we do enjoy the "passing chat" and catching up with lots of people at this time - sometimes the only time we saw some people! We sailed on a full ship and never found anywhere to be crowded or fail to get a seat, sun lounger, table for dinner - in any combination of numbers; or In the grand salon for a show. The only time I think nearly everyone was out on deck was during the crew tug of war, and quite a sight it was too - we did say then, are all these people on the ship! Silly comment I know, but it was an amazing sight!

We didn't try breakfast in the MDR on the Quest, as breakfast sitting outside at the Colonnade was one of our daily highlights! Even when it looked 'full' we always got a table outside, never had to eat inside.

And I had to deal with a 'fire' in the toaster too, I believe a slice of bread had got stuck. It had to happen just at a moment when there were no crew immediately to hand, but the soon arrived. And no, it wasn't my bread that flamed up!

fairbourne and craftyec, thanks for the reassurances. I have to say that the Colonnade would be my first choice, but I just wanted to check about the main restaurant just in case the Colonnade does indeed turn out to be like a 'zoo' and I need to retreat to a calmer environment. As I said, I'm not at my brightest in the morning. :D

The story with the croissant had me cracking up. My darling husband is French and if he witnessed such a scene he'd be far less concerned about the prospect of a fire than he would at observing someone manhandling a croissant in such a way!

fairbourne, I'm looking forward to tasting those..let's call them NS's... that you enjoy so much too!

Last year, on the Odyssey, we decided to eat breakfast in the MDR because my partner got it in his mind that the food would be different. Since we were in a new port every day, and we are the type to go exploring, we were having breakfast ~8 AM. We had been going to the Colonade every morning and were used to the inside dining area being around 75% full. We were the only people in the MDR and to top it off the menu is identical to what you can order in the Colonade. It just felt weird eating in such a large space all by ourselves.

If you like quiet and having everything delivered to your table then the MDR is for you. If you like the bustle of other people around you and like to interact with people then eat in the Colonade.

We have never sailed the big sisters but always dine outside for breakfast on the triplets and echo the poster who enjoys sitting with other people. You certainly meet lots of interesting and nice folk on Seabourn.

We have also dined in our suite for breakfast one morning prior to going on an early departing excursion and that was great too. White linen cloth and everything we had ordered served piping hot with a smile whilst we were still in our pyjamas and robes. Heaven!!

Archived