Tipping for toddlers?

tweegalady

I understand that the tipping guidelines are per person, and that a toddler is, most assuredly, a person :) , but I'm still curious about whether those of you that travel with babies or toddlers take them into consideration as a third (or fourth, fifth, whatever...) person when tipping. I can understand doing it for children that are a bit of a handful and create extra work for stateroom attendants and wait staff.....but what about kids that don't really generate extra work, and in fact use many fewer services aboard (not eating or drinking much, too young to participate in AO activites, etc.)?

My son is 2, yet he's been dining with us in restaurants since he was an infant, and we've never had issues with him acting up at the table....seriously. He isn't a messy child - and I'm a bit of a neat freak anyway, so there's never much beyond the norm that needs tidying in our stateroom, much less additional mess from my son. I have no problems whatsoever in tipping cruise staff for the hard work that they do, and won't hesitate to add a little extra for those that really went above and beyond....but in circumstances where the children are very young and there aren't any special circumstances, would you expect to tip for the little guys? Full amount, or half, or ????

Thanks for your input!

Most cruiselines consider anyone 3 and older a "person" when it comes to tipping. I'm sailing on NCL in June and they automatically assess a gratuity fee to your on-board account so that you don't have to worry about cash at the end of the week. And, they base that fee on age: $10 per person per day (adult), $5 per person per day (child under the age of 12 I believe), and no fee is assessed for any children under the age of 3.

However, you know as well as I do that if a particular person goes above and beyond the call of duty, they deserve something a little extra. I wouldn't worry about tipping with regards to your little guy unless some staff member goes out of his or her way to do something for him.

Happy Sailing!

Just wait till you see the TLC all of the staff give to your little one.....whether it is genuine or put on because they know how special these children are to us....they really give them great attention and care. I never asked for help, yet the waiters were cutting up my child's dinner before I could get to it....our room steward was doing extra kind things for my children, again....never requested by me....they are just so attentive and kind, you really want to reward them for making both you and your little one's vacation memorable!!

And, they base that fee on age: $10 per person per day (adult), $5 per person per day (child under the age of 12 I believe), and no fee is assessed for any children under the age of 3.

wow wow wow is this true????? that changes things.... I was figuring NCL automatically charges $10 a day for everybody including toddlers...... if indeed NCL only adds $5 per child then the answer to the original question is you don't need to tip as much for toddlers, and to the peeps that say you should tip the recommended amount, well you just cut $105 in tips for the staff!!!!! :)

Celebrity recommends 1/2 the adult amount for tips when it comes to children. Most times we will the tip the full adult amount--especially in the dining room because the waiters actually have to make more of an effort with the kids.

If you ever have worked in a restaurant you can tell which table had children sitting there. What a MESS! It should be the other way around. Less for adults and double for the children.

I agree! Every time we go out for a meal, we leave behind a massive mess on the floor (goldfish, crackers, crumbs, crayons, etc.)! I think we should double the adult tip for our smaller passengers!

BTW, I have 2 children: 2 year old DD and 7 year old DS.

Happy Sailing!

I saw what this thread became on the RCCI board - I hope it stays a bit more civil over here :)

Tips are, for the most part, tips - they are rewards for good service.

Realize that in the dining room, the waiters and bus staff will be providing services for your toddler - tip based upon how valuable you found their help to be. They will be very accommodating of special needs your child may have (menu choices, beverage choices, etc.). Your child will also be taking up a "space" at the dining table - if another adult was there, the serving staff would, probably, receive a tip from that individual.

In the room, your child will be using towels in the bathroom and will track in sand or dirt that needs to be vacuumed (no differently than you tracking in sand or dirt). The steward will need to rearrange your room to accommodate a third person - bedding etc (whether your child is sleeping on the sofa, a pullman, a roll-away or a line provided pack-and-play - they require linens.) If you are providing the pack-and-play or crib, remember it will be "in the way" and make making up your room just a bit more difficult. Just having the "stuff" associated with a third person in a room does complicate their jobs a bit.

Be certain to factor in the service that the staff provides to meet your toddler's needs in determining what to tip.

we've been cruising with my children since they were infants -- the most being during their toddler years -- I find at all ages they create work for the staff (working around cribs or strollers, taking out trash with diapers in it, removing peed on sheets -- this isn't great stuff). We always tip at least full adult price. We also tip more than that when we get great service directed toward our children (e.g., cutting their meat, remembing to give us a carton of milk to take with us and the like.) We also tip more when body fluids are involved.

just got back from majesty of the seas 4 day and i have to tell you.... all of the attention all of my children had was unbelievable....... i felt so important.... the same question was discussed between my husband and i regarding tips and our kids.... needless to say by the end of our cruise the answer was evident!!!! they were wonderful......i hope your experience will be just as memorable as ours was..... i know my daughter (2) ran to the dining room asking for dwi our waiter the whole way!!!good luck.... twy

Archived