Hermitage/Peterhof open on Mondays?

tone

I am arriving in St. Petersburg on a Monday/Tuesday and was told by Denrus that Hermitage/Peterhof are closed on Mondays and Catherine's Palace is closed on Tuesdays. However, when I look at the shore excursions offered by Princess, it looks like they are offering Hermitage/Peterhof/Catherine's Palace tours on both days. Is it possible that Princess has enough pull to force these place to open just for their tours when they arrive in the city? I would obviously love to go to the Hermitage on the first day instead of leave it for the 2nd day.

Has anyone has any experiences where they booked and the Princess cancelled to tour?

I've been trying to get the same question answered for a while. I've checked websites, which confirm that the closings do occur as you state. I've also called Princess (on two separate occasions) only to be told that if the tour is listed, it will go. I'm not sure what to think.... :confused:

We decided to plan around it by going with Den Rus and doing things on the days we KNOW they will be open. It IS possible, I suppose, that Princess has special arrangements, but I didn't want to take the chance. Also someone (Stan, I think?) suggested that the Princess tour may take you to Peterhof, for example, on the day listed, but you may only see the gardens and outside -- which would be a real disappointment for me.

Sorry not to be able to give you a better answer, but I haven't been able to get one myself! Maybe someone else will chime in with something definitive?

I, too have called Princess, as I will be in St. Petersburg on the last Monday of the month, August 29, when Catherine's Palace is closed. The Princess rep assured me that all the tours will operate on all the days the ship is in port, stating that "when we put 3000 people in port," all attractions are open to Princess tours. When are you travelling? I'm a single traveller and am contemplating using Red October or Denrus, but as a single my only alternative may be Princess?? Is it possible to do both the Hermitage and Catherine's palace in one day???

I, too have called Princess, as I will be in St. Petersburg on the last Monday of the month, August 29, when Catherine's Palace is closed. The Princess rep assured me that all the tours will operate on all the days the ship is in port, stating that "when we put 3000 people in port," all attractions are open to Princess tours. When are you travelling? I'm a single traveller and am contemplating using Red October or Denrus, but as a single my only alternative may be Princess?? Is it possible to do both the Hermitage and Catherine's palace in one day???

Your rep has an ego problem, I would say. Why would a closed-for-maintenance veune open for a mere 3000 people when 50,000 others are in town wanting to see it. What was not revealed was that the PALACE is closed, but the grounds and minor palaces are open. The grounds and "minor" palaces are pretty spectacular by any account. Peterhof for example is the same way, only a short visit is scheduled but there is 2 days of sights so only missing out on the inside of the Grand Palace means more time for the spectacular grounds. Do not worry, you will see more sights than you will be able to absorb even if your tour company is not being very clear in their tour. The reason there is ambiguity is that the tour company has not firmed up their plan so they have not given it to the cruise line to give to you. You will not know the full schedule until you get there.

St Petersburg gets 4,000,000 visitors in the summer each year and there will be 4-8 large cruise ships in 3 ports at the time you are there so it is obvious your tour advisor has no clue about the city and how much influence a couple thousand visitors have.

If you are wanting to see the most you can and getting to see what you personally want, you have no real choice but to go with the smaller tour companies because they cater to personalizing tour to your interests. Contact one of them and tell them what interests you have and they can set up with a tour group pf a few up to about 8-10 people wanting to do the same things.

If you have any questions just email privately or post if it is of more general interest to the board ( stan@rus-net.net )

I do have some info I can share on this topic. I personally have a vested interest as I'll be arriving SPB on Sun. and Mon., worst yet the last Mon. of May (5/30). That means all 3 must-see sights (Peterhof Palace, Catherine Palace & Hermitage) are closed, according to the posted schedules. However, I found a post written by japiscopo dated 2/8/05 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=2968834&postcount=2. In her travelog, she wrote about visiting Peterhof Palace on a MONDAY (8/23/04) and she described the interior of the palace which indicated that she was able to visit inside the palace. So with that info, I popped the question to both RO and DenRus. Here're their replies:

RO

As for the Grand Palace, I am sure 99 percent it will be open. Please kindly, let me have 1% for my safety. We shall have the exact information on 26 April when the museum makes the confirmations for the next month.

DenRus

We will be able to know if there is Speco at Peterhof arranged by some cruise line somewhere in the beginning of May, hopefully. According to the museum's regulations, all the local tour companies must send their requests for Peterhof visits not later than the 25th of the month, previous to the event. After that the museum considers all the requests and makes the decision - to allow the Special opening or not. We will certainly let you know as soon as we know the info!!!

I'm sure there'll be other cruise ships in port on that day besides Princess. So I'm hopeful that they'll have a special opening at Peterhof on 5/30 (Mon.)

Currently, I've prepared 2 itineraries. One itinerary assumes no special opening for Peterhof Palace on Mon. (5/30), meaning I'll be cramping all 3 sights on Day 1 (Sun.) I know, it's crazy but unfortunately, it's not my choice to make. :( The alternate itinerary will be the "happy" :) scenario where I can visit Catherine Palace and Hermitage on Day 1 (Sun.) and Peterhof Palace on Day 2 (Mon.) :D :D

Fingers crossed......:eek:

I'm in the same position with HAL. I have little faith in the cruise line shore excursions and was sure that they were going to to take people to the Hermitage and show them the outside!

I'll have to have a rethink now if it's possible that they might be open as I didn't see the review with the palace open on Monday.

Regards, Soraya

I've just been told by DenRus that even if the Hermitage is open on the Monday that we arrive, it's not worth going as it costs loads extra and that we should go on the Tuesday. Is it true it costs extra. I was thinking that if it's a special opening it might be quieter and so a better time to go. Can anyone help on this?

Thanks Soraya

I've just been told by DenRus that even if the Hermitage is open on the Monday that we arrive, it's not worth going as it costs loads extra and that we should go on the Tuesday. Is it true it costs extra. I was thinking that if it's a special opening it might be quieter and so a better time to go. Can anyone help on this?

I don't know about Hermitage but as far as Peterhof Palace is concerned, DenRus did not mention anything about extra cost for the special opening on Monday. In fact, I already received my invoice with my original negotiated rate.

Archived