Military not allowed to go to PV,Mexico anymore..

Kverlinger

We have a trip planned on splendor this august, and my husband recieved an email at work yesterday that the mexico government is cracking down on the drug cartels, so the violence has increased and some of these groups are doing terrorist like acts, not neccessarily against americans, but in genernal. He said there were pics of people being beheaded. They are kidnapping people and so forth...and one of the "hot spots" is outside PV. So, with that in mind, we probably could not get it approved to go there...SOOOO glad we bought travel insurance!!

I am a retired veteran, so I can sympathize with you. However, you may be in luck! Don't go to PV Mexico. Just stay on the ship! Enjoy the empty ship all to yourselves that day and just be pampered by the staff.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Your husband was told military is not allowed there, or you are assuming that they will not be allowed? Your post title is not clear.

Since her husband is in the military he is not allowed to go there. The military does not allow their service men and women to travel to certain places in the world that us regular people can go to.

When I was stationed in the United Kingdom in the early 80's and there was violence in Ireland we were banned from going to Ireland.

Since her husband is in the military he is not allowed to go there. The military does not allow their service men and women to travel to certain places in the world that us regular people can go to.

When I was stationed in the United Kingdom in the early 80's and there was violence in Ireland we were banned from going to Ireland.

Wow, I had no idea? Can you still cruise if you stay on the ship that day?

About a year or so ago there was another post here from someone with the same problem. many people suggested that he just stay on the ship that day but as I recall they said that that is not allowed either.

That's exactly what I was getting ready to post. Just "staying on the ship" isn't an option, unless you submitted paperwork to your superiors for approval to do specifically that and it at was approved.

You may want to do a pre-consideration for your cruise. We did the Splendor in June 2010 and at the time, Mazatlan had become on the no visit list for military. My husband went to his commander, told him we were on a cruise there in a month (we only had a month to go before we sailed when it came up).

His commander asked what we had planned for that day, and he approved it.

Maybe what his commander did was wrong, but we were approved to go.

All is not lost...

Shawn

Regardless of whether you get to go on the planned cruise in August, I want to say thank you! What your husband does is awesome and I am very thankful for those who chose to and are able to serve in the military.

I also want to thank you as well ... it is not easy to be the spouse of someone serving in the military either.

Wow I’m glad I found this thread! We just booked a family cruise for next January on the Legend, it is the Western Caribbean itinerary and includes a stop in Cozumel. My youngest son is active duty military and in Afghanistan as we speak, he is due back this fall and a big part of the reason for this cruise is for the family to spend some time with him after his return. We will defiantly have to check into this to be sure it is not a problem for him.

Is it just me, or do others see the irony here: the military will send its troops to Afghanistan, but PV Mexico on a cruise is too dangerous?

My husband told me over a year ago that when we planned our next cruise we had to avoid Mexico all together. They were all told by the command they would not approve anything for any reason in Mexico. Makes cruising from a drivable port impossible and really limits the itinerearies.

I am active duty and I will be taking my "retirement cruise" this June. I have dealt with this issue many times. Any travel outside of the country requires permission to do so, and you will be required to have a security/safety briefing for the area you are traveling to, basically US State Department advisories, etc.

Border cities along the Mexican border are all off limits last I heard...this may or may not be the most current info, I do not travel to the border cities any longer and whenever I am training at a post near them the Post Commander has put them off limits.

The only requirement I have seen was an order put out last month requiring a pre and post travel health screening...

2. ALL MILITARY AND DA CIVILIAN PERSONNEL TRAVELING TO MEXICO IN AN

UNOFFICIAL STATUS MUST UNDERGO A PRE- AND POST-TRAVEL MEDICAL SCREENING.

PRIOR TO TRAVEL, INDIVIDUAL MEDICAL READINESS REQUIREMENTS MUST BE

CURRENT IAW NORAD AND USNORTHCOM INSTRUCTION 44-163 AND CONSISTS OF

IMMUNIZATIONS, LABORATORY TESTS, AND MEDICAL/DENTAL HEALTH SCREENINGS.

3. SPECIFIC YEAR-ROUND HEALTH THREATS IN MEXICO ARE CONSIDERED HIGH RISK

IN THE ABSENCE OF COUNTERMEASURES AND INCLUDE FOOD AND WATER-BORNE

DISEASES AND MOSQUITO-BORNE DISEASE.

3.A. FOOD AND WATER-BORNE DISEASES: BACTERIAL DIARRHEA AND HEPATITIS A.

OCCUR AMONG PERSONNEL CONSUMING LOCAL FOOD, WATER, OR ICE.

3.B. MOSQUITO-BORNE DISEASE: DENGUE. OCCUR AMONG PERSONNEL EXPOSED TO

MOSQUITO BITES, PRIMARILY DURING THE DAY. MEXICO IS EXPERIENCING AN

INCREASED TRANSMISISON OF DENGUE WITH THE MAJORITY OF THE CASES

CONCENTRATED IN THE YUCATAN PENINSULA. THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR DENGUE

TO SPREAD IN OTHER AREAS OF MEXICO ONCE THE RAINY SEASON STARTS

(MAY-NOVEMBER).

3.C. MALARIA IS TRANSMITTED BY MOSQUITOES AND IS CONSIDERED LOW RISK.

MALARIA IS PRESENT IN CHIAPAS AND IN RURAL AREAS IN THE STATES OF

NAYARIT, OAXACA, AND SINALOA; ALSO PRESENT IN AN AREA BETWEEN 24N AND

28N LATITUDE AND 106W AND 110W LONGITUDE, WHICH LIES IN PARTS OF

CHIHUAHUA, DURANGO, AND SONORA. RARE CASES IN QUINTANA ROO AND TABASCO.

NO MALARIA ALONG THE UNITED STATES-MEXICO BORDER.

The State Department issued the following...

Jalisco Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta are the major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: You should defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas. You should also exercise caution when traveling at night outside of cities in the remaining portions of this state. The security situation along the Michoacán and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable and gun battles between criminal groups and authorities occur. Concerns include roadblocks placed by individuals posing as police or military personnel and recent gun battles between rival TCOs involving automatic weapons.

And...

Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are the major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect.

Bottom line, I have not seen any cruisers being denied...I have seen border travel put off limits.

Archived