What to know when considering Alaska cruise?

tonijmccann

We're considering a cruise to Alaska next year. I know nothing about it. We're a young married couple (23) with a 2 year old (who would be 3 when we went). What kinds of things could we do there? (with or without our 3 year old. I know we could leave her at Camp Carnival if there was something she couldn't do) What would the weather be like? (Thinking about next April or May) It is Alaska, so I'm assuming like winter coats/jackets? Not sure exactly which ports we'd do but we'd be doing Carnival. Options for ports are Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Cruise Inside Passage, Cruise Glacier Bay. (They don't include all these ports, different itineraries include different ones so if there's a port that's really great I'd appreciate that info too!) We've always taken tropical trips and I thought this would be interesting and different. I'd love any information and/or advice, I basically know nothing. :)

Lao Tzu once said:"A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step".

I suggest you start by reading every thread in this Alaska board. Start with the ones that compare cruises and move to various ports and excursions.

Since you know so little, I think you should invest A LOT of time reading and learning. Once you have studied, you will be in a much better position to ask questions that will come up as you learn.

Ok. The first thing to learn is that you will be safe from icebergs in Alaska.

There will be no titanic. There are over 550 visits scheduled for just Juneau alone between May and September. You will not have to worry about icebergs.

We're considering a cruise to Alaska next year. I know nothing about it. We're a young married couple (23) with a 2 year old (who would be 3 when we went). What kinds of things could we do there? (with or without our 3 year old. I know we could leave her at Camp Carnival if there was something she couldn't do) What would the weather be like? (Thinking about next April or May) It is Alaska, so I'm assuming like winter coats/jackets? Not sure exactly which ports we'd do but we'd be doing Carnival. Options for ports are Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Cruise Inside Passage, Cruise Glacier Bay. (They don't include all these ports, different itineraries include different ones so if there's a port that's really great I'd appreciate that info too!) We've always taken tropical trips and I thought this would be interesting and different. I'd love any information and/or advice, I basically know nothing. :)

I agree you should start reading and familiarize yourself with the ports and the activities. Are you on a strict budget in ports, or will have a flexible budget? I ask because excursions are much more expensive in Alaska than in the Caribbean. Frommer's and Fodor's books on Alaska are a great start. You should be able to find them at your library. You don't need the most recent copy.

Glacier Bay is a premier glacier viewing area, and highly recommended for an Alaska Cruise. It is a National Park and Reserve, rightfully so. Tracy Arm fjord is a beautiful fjord, but at the time of year you are wanting to go, the cruise ship may not get far enough to even see a glacier. If glaciers are a priority, try to choose an itinerary with Glacier Bay.

I think you should reconsider the thought of leaving your 3 year old on the ship while you go touring on land. Although it doesn't happen often, there have been a few times where people could not make it back on the ship on time, even people booked on a ship excursion. Not a pretty thought. This typically happens when weather results in the ship having to leave the port earlier than planned.

If you can go later in May, you will likely have better weather and less rain than if you go late in April or in early May. Remember the cruise route is a temperate rain forest. Expect rain, but if you get sunshine, enjoy it!!!! Mid-May through Mid-June is historically the driest time along the inside passage. Of course you can have great weather or lousy weather anytime during the cruising season. Depends what kind of gambler you are. Do come prepared with layers, the outermost layer being waterproof. Water-resistant doesn't cut it. If you don't have or don't want to buy waterproof footwear, buy the waterproof spray and put several coats on your shoes.

As far as activities, I suggest you read the port excursion list for each port on the itineraries you are considering. That will give you an idea of the popular attractions. Many activities would be long and boring for a three year old, so you will have to research carefully. There are parks in the towns where you can go with your child. I do know that some of the Helicopter Glacier landing tours take children as young as two. However, this is a pricey option and you haven't mentioned budget. To me Alaska is about scenery, wilderness and wildlife.

If you can cruise out of Vancouver, rather than Seattle, you will have a more scenic sailing as well as a better chance of calmer seas.

Good luck and please keep up posted on your plans.

Head to Barnes & Noble (in person or online) and get their most recent "Alaska, Cruising the Inside Passage" or request it at your library! And any others that may fit that bill!

Read it twice, because the first time it's only for excitement's sake. The second time is for the information!

This should give you a good idea as to where you want to go. Maybe. Then get online and check out all that what you want has to offer.... it will eliminate those itineraries you do not want and you can look for those AK places you NEED to see! Also those you can afford, both time and moneywise!

We chose to book our cruise based on itinerary (Glacier Bay); Size of Ship (HAL, Volendam, smaller size pax) and reviews of such; so, unless you choose what's important to you it really won't matter the price if you are somewhere you REALLY don't care to be ???

Right now, we are finally hoping to book our airfare... which we didn't do when we booked our cruise last Feb, thinking we could do it less expensivelt ....and based on the last few days, i think we can .(crossed fingers .. But, you have to invest the time and know where you want to go... And that all goes back to good research at the beginning ...

Good Luck ALL!

(Thinking about next April or May) It is Alaska, so I'm assuming like winter coats/jackets? :)

April may be a bit early for the Alaskan cruise season - when I researched for our trip I was finding some things not available if I booked earlier than the May 23 sailing that I ended up with.

I've been told that late May is somewhat drier than later in the summer but we are still packing for rain with highs around 60 (and hoping for no rain and highs closer to 65). You'll want to dress in layers rather than just a heavy coat. I'm planning polo shirt, sweatshirt, fleece vest and lightweight waterproof jacket with jeans, wool socks & hiking boots - and a backpack to carry layers as I put them off & back on. For Glacier Bay scenic cruising I'll probably add long underwear top & bottom.

Everyone else has given you great info on how to pick a cruise - research first! Itinerary is more important than which cruiseline - Alaska is about the ports not the ship.

Archived