Upgrades with a TA?

lola4795

My first upgrade offer was a few years ago and I had booked with a TA who called with an offer from NCL 2-3 weeks before our cruise....to go from an inside K to a BA on the Sun for $200pp. DH nixed it and for a few minutes 'dear' did not apply. I half-kiddingly told the TA to tell NCL we were retired and could they do any better! Well, I thought that that was the end of that but few days later she called back, they'd called her again and the offer was $100pp for a BA....that time I did not even ask DH!!

My second upgrade experience was when I was working at a TA, so I was the agent AND the cruiser and therefore I got the call. When NCL decided not to leave the Sun in Hawaii and instead bring her back, great rates were offered. We booked an oceanview for $499pp for the 10 day repo and I was ecstatic...until I saw a balcony offered for $599!! I called but unfortunately it was for new bookings only which, though disappointed, I fully understood. Then the call came...once again the initial offer was $200pp for a BA, in addition to a suite for $400pp. I pointed out that that would make the balcony $699pp when the going rate was $599pp. She had me hold while she checked and came back saying we could have it for $100pp. Since I seemed to be on a roll, I asked if perhaps the $400pp suite upgrade was negotiable but it was not which was fine...DH need not be consulted!! By the way, I spent more time on that balcony - both while in Hawaii and cruising the Pacific back - than on any other balcony we've ever had and it was a fantastic cruise in every respect. One of my all time favorites!

I no longer work at the travel agency and my last few NCL cruises have been booked with an online agency where I find I can usually get a better rate in addition to an obc of some sort. I have never gotten an upgrade call from them so I don't know if NCL skips them and just make offers to their direct bookers or those coming from a brick-and-mortar type agency.

If someone reads this and has gotten a call from their online agency, please let me know. I'm past expecting one but if it's possible, I'll hold out hope.

If you'd like a call, I hope it comes. Yes, you can advise your agent you are open to one but surely she/he would call you in any event. Perhaps she'd try harder to get hold of you if she needs to give them an answer pretty quick. Perhaps you have an good, alternate # to try to reach you at.

Good luck. And remember, you can make an offer if theirs seems high or is just more than you afford. What do you have to lose?!

Archived