Tell me about the Steak House

Wow that ribeye is tiny. Much smaller then the overcooked one I have at Harrys on the Liberty. They really cut back it seems. IT looks almost half the size of the one I had.

Ok, he just told me it wasn't the ribeye. He had the NY strip, sorry! Still, it wasn't very good.

Ok, he just told me it wasn't the ribeye. He had the NY strip, sorry! Still, it wasn't very good.

Still a pretty small steak.

Sorry want good. Bummer. Mine was just ok.

I am going to give it another try if I cruise on a ship with a steakhouse again. Just in case.

We were 3 couples and had dinner in the steakhouse on Freedom the first night. Food was great and we had three bottles of wine included with dinner. We are definitely doing the Steakhouse on our cruise this August on the Liberty!

My DH had the Cowboy Steak (or Prime Rib Chop as it was called in Jan on Splendor- Cowboy steak in April on Magic) he LOVED it. Here is a pic of it on Splendor- he says it was just as good on the Magic.

food032.jpg

My fav is always the Filet. Also I have never had an issue getting it Med Rare.

food033.jpg

The best side of all is the Mashed potatoes! I get them minus the Wasabi and I always get a double order :)

Also they have no porterhouse. A steakhouse without a porterhouse on the menu? They also refused to cook my steak medium rare.

How did they "refuse"? :confused:

Do you mean that they were incapable of cooking it to your desired doneness (that I have seen a few times)!

Tom

If you can't tell the diff between a ribeye and a strip (IMHO) you are not qualified to complain about the size or quality.

mimi

Excuse me mimi, but my husband is a Johnson & Wales trained chef for the last 20+ years. I made the heinous error, he knows the difference and corrected me when I realized it didn't look right for a rib eye in the photo I posted (got me thinking when Rotti said his rib eye was so much bigger).

Is it an issue with your cornflakes this morning, or your meds just haven't kicked in yet?

How did they "refuse"? :confused:

Do you mean that they were incapable of cooking it to your desired doneness (that I have seen a few times)!

Tom

I asked for my chef recommended spiced ribeye to be cooked medium rare and I was told they cant cook it like that. I asked why and was given some gibberish.

So not wanting to totally ruin my dinner I said fine cook it medium (I can eat medium, its not my favorite though and they brought it out medium.

I honestly have no idea why they wouldn't cook it to order. Also they could not tell me how long they were aged for. I as told "aged to our specification". that can mean 2 hours for all I know. The quality was definitely NOT one of a decently aged steak, thats for sure.

If you can't tell the diff between a ribeye and a strip (IMHO) you are not qualified to complain about the size or quality.

mimi

Sometimes it hard to tell from a tiny little picture on the intarweb.

That said, its still a small steak (now that I can see the pic on my monitor). I cant vouch for the quality of the one in the photo but since its their husbands, and they ate it, I am sure they are way more qualified than anyone else here as to how it was.

If it was like mine in Harrys, it was average at best. Going by my less than spectacular steakhouse experience, I believe them.

To the original poster.

Please DO give the steakhouse a shot. For the $30 its worth a try.

I may have had a less then great experience but it as still a decent meal and was glad I at least tried it.

Absolutely, I agree! We thought everything was good to excellent, except for DH steak.

We will definitely be trying it again on the Breeze!

I asked for my chef recommended spiced ribeye to be cooked medium rare and I was told they cant cook it like that. I asked why and was given some gibberish.

So not wanting to totally ruin my dinner I said fine cook it medium (I can eat medium, its not my favorite though and they brought it out medium.

I honestly have no idea why they wouldn't cook it to order. Also they could not tell me how long they were aged for. I as told "aged to our specification". that can mean 2 hours for all I know. The quality was definitely NOT one of a decently aged steak, thats for sure.

Interesting!

The first time I ordered the Ribeye, I did order it rare - though I decided that MR was better for the Ribeye as they can be a touch chewier when undercooked. Since then, it comes fairly close to MR, though most everything in there they have a tendency to undercook anyway!

Good point about the aging -- I want to say at one point they indicated it was two weeks or something. Perhaps now they "age" them until it's time to use them! :eek:

Tom

We always go to the Steakhouse at least once on a cruise.

We have never had bad service and I know for a fact they do indeed cook steak medium rare, because that is how my husband gets it every single time.

Maybe the server was new or incompetent, but we have never encountered one of those in our trips to the steakhouse.

I'm from cornfed cattle country so I rarely order steak, but my husband ALWAYS does. The cowboy steak will be what he orders next September because the Porterhouse is gone <boo hiss>

I love the lamb, the lobster I was served the only time I ordered it there was just ok (african lobster I think)

I adore the Lobster bisque and it has ruined me for anyone elses, also the chocolate sampler is always delicious IMO and my husband loves the apple tartlet thing.

They do serve a bottle of red or white on first night, it's just ok but, hey it's free.

I think everyone should try the steakhouse once and form their own opinion , because obviously there are LOTS of different opinions on this subject.

Cheers, Carole

I agree that the steakhouse is worth trying. I wouldn't worry about the wine as much as chosing a night when you aren't as excited about the main dining room menu.

It is a shame about the porterhouse, my DH's favorite.

If you take children with you to the steakhouse - say ages 7 and 9 - do they charge the full $30.00 for their meal also or not. I'm thinking they probably do, just want to confirm that before I make my decision as to whether we will be going or not.

Thanks!

If you take children with you to the steakhouse - say ages 7 and 9 - do they charge the full $30.00 for their meal also or not. I'm thinking they probably do, just want to confirm that before I make my decision as to whether we will be going or not.

Thanks!

yup. entrees are $30 per person, regardless of age.

Thanks!

Yes, they do charge full cover for anyone dining there.

Tom

We always go to the Steakhouse at least once on a cruise.

We have never had bad service and I know for a fact they do indeed cook steak medium rare, because that is how my husband gets it every single time.

Maybe the server was new or incompetent, but we have never encountered one of those in our trips to the steakhouse.

I'm from cornfed cattle country so I rarely order steak, but my husband ALWAYS does. The cowboy steak will be what he orders next September because the Porterhouse is gone <boo hiss>

I love the lamb, the lobster I was served the only time I ordered it there was just ok (african lobster I think)

I adore the Lobster bisque and it has ruined me for anyone elses, also the chocolate sampler is always delicious IMO and my husband loves the apple tartlet thing.

They do serve a bottle of red or white on first night, it's just ok but, hey it's free.

I think everyone should try the steakhouse once and form their own opinion , because obviously there are LOTS of different opinions on this subject.

Cheers, Carole

Cheers back to you and Hello all....I finally went to the Steakhouse!!..It was my first cruise night Easter Sunday..had that "ok" free red wine great filet..but it was tepid and mashed just cold..spinich salad and lobster were off..it was a sad food week..5-day tons of kids and maybe just getting ready for Hawaii and using up lots of leftovers...but I enjoyed venue and did have amazing escargot and steak was pefect taste wise, but too cold..will not stop me from going again and great window table!! enjoyed coastal window views out of San Diego south..Happy Sailing...good to talk to you and all...sarah

If the food isn't satisfactory, send it back until they get it right. Problem solved.

I couldn't as they refused to cook it the way I wanted in the first place. It was ok for medium, just not what I wanted.

I am guessing it was just that particular chef as it seems many others on their ships had no problem getting MR steaks.

Archived