How does NCL compare to RCCL?

We have been loyal Royal cruisers the last 10 years but a group of college friends wanted to have a mini-reunion on board the Breakaway next June. So we will be giving it a try. We usually do MTD on Royal so I think we can adapt to freestyle cruising easlily enough. There are no a lot of details about Breakaway yet but from what I heard it is going to be a very innovative ship. I think NCL saw how well Allure and Oasis are doing for Royal and decided they needed to have a "ship as destination" and that is what they are going for with Breakaway and her sisters. I especially like their "Waterfront" concept which seems like an outdoor version of the Promenade.

My only disappointment is the itinerary. I wish they had more ports than just a multi-night in Bermuda. But we are really looking forward to a new experience.

We have been loyal Royal cruisers the last 10 years but a group of college friends wanted to have a mini-reunion on board the Breakaway next June. So we will be giving it a try. We usually do MTD on Royal so I think we can adapt to freestyle cruising easlily enough. There are no a lot of details about Breakaway yet but from what I heard it is going to be a very innovative ship. I think NCL saw how well Allure and Oasis are doing for Royal and decided they needed to have a "ship as destination" and that is what they are going for with Breakaway and her sisters. I especially like their "Waterfront" concept which seems like an outdoor version of the Promenade.

My only disappointment is the itinerary. I wish they had more ports than just a multi-night in Bermuda. But we are really looking forward to a new experience.

You know, NCL does have a ship called EPIC.:)

We usually do MTD on Royal so I think we can adapt to freestyle cruising easlily enough.

Just be aware that most of the restaurants are pay restaurants. Some are a smaller fee but the only free places to eat are the main dining room, the buffet and a few other sandwich/burger type places.

terpfan101, I have sailed on both NCL and RCI as well as most of the other mass market lines, and I have not had a bad cruise on any of them. RCI and NCL are probably more similar than different. Average passenger age is similar with a nice diverse mix of age. NCL is less formal than RCI, but most of the cruise lines are gravitating that way. I realize food is subjective so I will give you my opinions. I liked the MDR better on RCI, but I liked the buffet on NCL better. I thought the entertainment on NCL was a little better than on RCI but again that is subjective. I do like the specialty restaurants on NCL and to me they are worth the extra charge. I have not sailed on any of the megaships on either lines so I can't give you an opinion that way, but from what I have read it appears that the Allure, Oasis, and Epic are more destination type ships, where there is a lot to do on the ships themselves. I usually pick a cruise for the ports and not for the ship itself. I think you will enjoy yourself whichever line you choose to go with. Happy Sailing

You asked, so here is my opinion. I'll comment on the points one person made:

>There were plenty of NCL people outside the terminal to direct us and there was entertainment as a welcome in the cruise terminal as we waited to board. No comment here.

>The main dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day. WONDERFUL experience. Wish Royal would do this. (Although Oasis and Allure have so many great venues that this is not so important.)

>No reservations are accepted for My Time Dining (or at least not for small parties) My biggest problem with NCL is the dining. I love traditional, but if I went with the more casual schedule, I would want to make reservations. I have found that meals are not nearly as pleasant on NCL because if you have a request for a condiment or something after your meal has been served, you might not get that item until your meal is almost over.

>You have to wait until you board to book speciality restaurants. We don't eat in specialty restaurants, so not applicable.

>There were two completely separate main dining rooms, one for casual dress and one dressy casual and THEY enforce it. (we REALLY liked this) We liked this as well.

We have cruised a number of times on NCL and many times on Royal Caribbean. We go with NCL only when the senior group we cruise with has a scheduled cruise.

I understand the suite perks are really over the top on NCL. We will never have to worry about that!!:)

Choosing a cruiseline is a very personal thing. I like one thing; you may like another. We probably will agree that cruising is one of the greatest vacations ever!!

Kathy

Loyal RC cruiser here, just returning from NCL Star. Not my cup of tea. My brother and sil had a penthouse suite so I learned about the "suite perks" even so we weren't in one ourselves. You don't "get" anything....you pay for it, and dearly. You don't "get" a butler, you pay for one....then you need to also tip him. I felt like my brother was always trying to find things for the butler to do! It was really a bit awkward. As for dining in Cagneys as a suite customer for breakfast and lunch, what does this say about the food for the "regular" passengers? not much. There is so much focus on the freestyle dining that I feel like not only was I nickled and dimed to death, but all these restaurants take up a lot of space on the ship! I feel like you don't get very personal service on NCL as well. JUST MY OPINION!!!

We had a great time on our cruise, but I won't be converting to freestyle anytime soon.

Makes me want to try. They have family suites. I have checked them out, but need to look when new itineraries become available and are not all booked up:eek:

Can't speak to other ships, but the suites on Epic are fantastic. There is a special dining room for those in suites and it is fabulous. There is also a large private pool/hot tub area just for the suites.

I haven't been on the NCL Hawaii cruise, but the crew on the other ships I've been on has given the same great service that HAL and Celebrity gave us and that I'm looking forward to on RCL.

We haven't gotten a complimentary drink coming onboard on NCL but we haven't been on the ship mentioned by the previous poster.

NCL has revamped their loyalty program much to the advantage of its repeat customers. We've turned platinum after just 75 days...takes 200 on HAL to get the good stuff....don't know about RCL but some of their perks sound really good.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions. Sounds like I might give NCL a try at some point in the future, but I'd probably stick to the newer/more innovative ships if there's a good itinerary. My question was asked mainly because I saw the website for the Breakaway and it looks fantastic: http://www2.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/overview.

I don't think I'd just go on a cheapo NCL cruise because if I'm spending my money I'd rather get something better for it, hence I'm not too keen on trying Carnival, even though I'm in their target demographic (20s). It also seems to me like NCL is a bit more similar to RCCL than it is to Carnival, though obviously all three are the most mainstream cruise lines out there.

Archived