Wrinkled Wardrobe !

smiles55

This won't work for all wrinkled garments, but has been an invaluable tip for us. When I finally got a hair "flat iron" -- instead of getting one with a short active plate (travel model) I got a regular sized one, which had a large range of adjustable temperatures. Bought it at my hairdressers and they had used theirs for this purpose. Nice long cord, too.

With or without the steaming, heat it up to the lowest possible temp and then increase the temps until you know what works for a fabric. Clamp plates together and pull gently through the wrinkled area. Voila! It's ironed! Be sure to keep the ceramic plates clean of residue hair spray, lotions, etc. Sometimes another has to hold the fabric flat, sometimes you can hang it. Takes a long time if doing an entire garment, but is great for touch ups. Works well on silk, except in places where there might be perspiration stains. Be sure to turn it off & unplug.

Instead of the plastic dry cleaner bags, we who have very few of these (because "dry clean only" is a dirty phrase when shopping in the store and is to be avoided), use tissue paper for rolling and between layers which have to be folded. Can be reused several times and is stored inside luggage between trips.

...this was a big discussion also.

In the bazillion page contract they email you, steamers were not on the forbidden list.

I brought the one THAT I BOUGHT ON A ROYAL CARIBBEAN SHIP !

NO PROBLEM......

Thanks for the additional tips. After reading about the new Celebrity rule I was going to ask about what's likely the same product Nikki mentioned. I saw a spray bottle of "Downey Wrinkle Releaser" at Target & wondered how that might work. Guess we'll have to give it a try to compare with the spray bottle of water mentioned. :)

It does come in a travel size that is TA approved...;)

I didn't know that steamers weren't allowed on board but did know that irons aren't allowed. We always take our steamer and haven't had any problems getting on board with it so far. Having said that although we take the steamer we rarely have to use it. I always where possible put my clothes in plastic bags as this seems to protect the clothes and I take time to pack carefully. I've tried to get light creases out by using steam from the shower but it is very hit & miss.

-

The plastic bags in luggage help--I find that the most important step is to roll everything, using plastic with those items most likely to wrinkle.

A couple of years ago I was packing for a trip to Las Vegas for a wedding and realized I had no dry cleaner bags in the house..being that I usually wait till the last minute to pack, the cleaner was closed at this time. I took out some tall kitchen can bags and a couple of yard bags for my husband's suit, folded them in half lengthwise and cut a small hole at the top corner (for the hanger), no holes for the clothes that didn't need a hanger..and these worked great! When I returned home I just took the clothes out and folded the bags, put them in the luggage for storage and they are there now waiting for our next trip. So if short of dry cleaner bags..this works! BTW LOVE the hint from telecommgirl..Thank you soooo much..great money saving idea!

A couple of years ago I was packing for a trip to Las Vegas for a wedding and realized I had no dry cleaner bags in the house..being that I usually wait till the last minute to pack, the cleaner was closed at this time. I took out some tall kitchen can bags and a couple of yard bags for my husband's suit, folded them in half lengthwise and cut a small hole at the top corner (for the hanger), no holes for the clothes that didn't need a hanger..and these worked great! When I returned home I just took the clothes out and folded the bags, put them in the luggage for storage and they are there now waiting for our next trip. So if short of dry cleaner bags..this works! BTW LOVE the hint from telecommgirl..Thank you soooo much..great money saving idea!

I think I put this on the other "wrinkled wardrobe" thread - I save long bags that I buy dresses etc in from the retail stores. These also work like the dry cleaner bags. Just like you, I store things like this in my luggage - other things too besides the bags :) - things that we only use when we travel. I keep them in our carryons because no matter where we travel we will always use the carryons even if we don't use a couple of the larger pieces of luggage.

Anyone tried using a hair flat iron on clothes? :p

Someone has...

This won't work for all wrinkled garments, but has been an invaluable tip for us. When I finally got a hair "flat iron" -- instead of getting one with a short active plate (travel model) I got a regular sized one, which had a large range of adjustable temperatures. Bought it at my hairdressers and they had used theirs for this purpose. Nice long cord, too.

With or without the steaming, heat it up to the lowest possible temp and then increase the temps until you know what works for a fabric. Clamp plates together and pull gently through the wrinkled area. Voila! It's ironed! Be sure to keep the ceramic plates clean of residue hair spray, lotions, etc. Sometimes another has to hold the fabric flat, sometimes you can hang it. Takes a long time if doing an entire garment, but is great for touch ups. Works well on silk, except in places where there might be perspiration stains. Be sure to turn it off & unplug.

Tom - I think the reason would be a fire concern. If you left your steamer or iron on - you may not know it. Leaving a hair dryer on is different - you'd definitely hear it.

I vote for fire safety.

If fire safety were the reason for the ban, curling irons would also be banned; it's entirely possible to leave those plugged in and on without realizing it.

If fire safety were the reason for the ban, curling irons would also be banned; it's entirely possible to leave those plugged in and on without realizing it.

If they banned curling irons & flat irons they would have a women's riot on their hands! Or a refusal to sail. :mad:

(Thankfully most sold today have built in temp turn off mechanisms - but don't test that feature - turn off & unplug, please. Gov't safety rules are often a good thing!)

Actually there is quite a difference electrically between the wattage even a travel iron or steamer draws and that of a curling iron. With an informed choice, one can now obtain low wattage curling/flat irons which are compatable with vehicle plug in ports. You can curl your hair ends while driving to work (HA! :rolleyes: :eek: ).

On slightly the same topic -- 2 ways of dealing with hot irons just before packing: Wrap the hot sides tightly (& hold for 20 secs) in a wet facecloth 2 or 3 times, it will help dissipate and remove the heat. Bandolini makes a great insulated travel case for curling & flat irons. It can hold both my curling & flat iron appliances and the padding helps protect both them and the items around them. Relatively cheap for the protection offered - google is your friend for finding one, if not available locally.

use plastic between your clothes, like the bags from the drycleaners. If you don't normally use a drycleaners most all cleaners will sell them for a nominal fee. Or I have also heard that tissue paper works much the same way

I've used this many times and it works very well. the plastic prevents the clothes from sliding around and becoming creased. The shower also works just as well as those expensive steamers.

Archived