limo tipping question

laginog

If a limo rate is quoted "including gratuity", should you tip the driver any additional money at the time of service? I'm not sure what is proper here. We'll be taking a limo from Anchorage to Whittier and our quote is including "tunnel fee, ice and bottled water, chaffeur, and gratuity for the driver". Is the "included" gratuity enough of a tip? We don't want to "stiff" anybody but we don't plan to do any "extras" on the trip (like the game preserve), just from our hotel in Anchorage to the ship. Any ideas on what is "proper" are appreciated!! Thank you!!!

My BIL owns a local (NY) limo company and the gratuity is included in the price quoted he says most people don't tip extra. I recently took a RT limo( not BIL's limo) with 4 other girls to the airport and the out the door price incl 20%gratuity was $354, so I figured he was getting a tip of $35 one way for a 50 mile drive. We paid cash and just rounded it up to $360 then as I was the last one out I felt bad and gave the driver ( who owns the limo co.) an extra $20. It wasn't neccessary.

We have a car service take us to the pier to get on ship and even though they say that tip is included my DH tips an extra $20.00 because he feels that it is worth it rather than us driving into San Francisco and the pier.

Marilyn

I usually base my extra tip on things like, if you went to grap your own bag did he say "no let me help you", did he engage in conversation, tell you about the town you were in things you might want to see or places to eat, etc. Just like any other service did the person go beyond just driving you. I would then give them that well deserved extra tip.

Archived