Pooped out - considering a half day tour in Cannes

Cruzinbabe06

Sailing on the Epic and it's very port intensive. 5 ports in a row with no sea day to break it up.:eek:

Right now our group of 8 adults has reserved full day tours for the 1st 3 ports; Naples, Rome then Florence. Mind you each tour is a full 8 hr day.

The next 2 ports are Cannes and Marseille. I don't want to miss out on anything. This will be our first time to the French Riviera and who knows if we'll ever come back.

I saw a tour for a half day in Cannes. It is for 4 hrs, and they go to Monaco, Monte Carlo and Eze Village. We will be missing out on Nice and St. Paul, 2 places I read shouldn't be missed.

The tour has a morning or afternoon pick up. I was thinking of the afternoon. So that everyone can sleep in and have a relaxing morning. However, if we take the morning tour we would be back by 2pm and have the ship to ourselves.

Has anyone done intensive ports like this before? What's your suggestion? Are you exhausted by the 4th day?

No one has any health issues. Except one who has asthma. But everyone gets around pretty good.

I will of course, talk to the group, however, I just wanted some feedback from past cruisers.

Thanks in advance:)

Hi Marie,

Does the tour you mention also tour Cannes. We stop in Cannes but if we took the Monaco tour it just left from Cannes but did not visit Cannes.

Just wondering if I missed this one

Sailing on the Epic and it's very port intensive. 5 ports in a row with no sea day to break it up.:eek:

Right now our group of 8 adults has reserved full day tours for the 1st 3 ports; Naples, Rome then Florence. Mind you each tour is a full 8 hr day.

The next 2 ports are Cannes and Marseille. I don't want to miss out on anything. This will be our first time to the French Riviera and who knows if we'll ever come back. You will go back...whether cruise or land tour you will return..trust me.

I saw a tour for a half day in Cannes. It is for 4 hrs, and they go to Monaco, Monte Carlo and Eze Village. We will be missing out on Nice and St. Paul, 2 places I read shouldn't be missed.IMHO...do this if you want,but do take the half day to recharge. If you try to do it all you won't remember what was what,and you would be surprised what even a half chill day can do for you.

The tour has a morning or afternoon pick up. I was thinking of the afternoon. So that everyone can sleep in and have a relaxing morning. However, if we take the morning tour we would be back by 2pm and have the ship to ourselves.

Has anyone done intensive ports like this before? What's your suggestion? Are you exhausted by the 4th day? Yes and yes..see above reply.I have seen people so tired that at dinner they forget where they had been.No trip is worth that.

No one has any health issues. Except one who has asthma. But everyone gets around pretty good.

I will of course, talk to the group, however, I just wanted some feedback from past cruisers.

Don't wear yourself out..really.

The Med is a port intensive itinerary...no matter what way you look at it. :) We did something like 13 ports in 14 days.

All of the ports have that Med 'flavor', so it's not uncommon to have memories of one port blur into another.

I think if you want to relax and do a half day in Cannes, do it! I like your idea of going in the morning and then coming back to a nice quiet ship.

Hi Marie,

Does the tour you mention also tour Cannes. We stop in Cannes but if we took the Monaco tour it just left from Cannes but did not visit Cannes.

Just wondering if I missed this one

You're right. I just checked again. The half day tour from Cannes is; Cannes, Antibes and St. Paul.

I want to vist Monaco. That was one of the places the group wanted to see.

I'm going to see if they can throw that one in and take something out. Or add on an additional hour or two.

I am not sure where the ships dock but the train is extremely easy to get between those cities along the coast. You can easily take the train from Cannes to Monaco. The train station is a few blocks behind the Majestic hotel which faces the water. The train will be about 1 hour. There is an elevator from the train station in Monaco to the ground level (we didn't see it until we headed back and walked down the hill). You can also do a hop on hop off bus in Monaco. I believe it is about 12 stops and costs 18 euros.

If you want to do something in less time, Nice is about 1/2 hour from Cannes by train. Once again and easy train ride (same train). It is a further walk to the coast and then a slight incline back to the train station (but still very easy to do).

All of the cities along the coast are very easy to get to via train.

Cannes is very pretty and if you want a more relaxing day you could spend time walking around Cannes and then take the train to Antibes (heading west).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your comments. The tour company is very nice and flexible when working with us.

We decided to do Monaco, Nice and St. Paul. We have a 8:30 pickup and should be back by 3pm they said.

We leave Cannes at 7pm, so hopefully getting back by the afternoon will recharge us.

Thanks again everyone.

The next 2 ports are Cannes and Marseille. I don't want to miss out on anything. This will be our first time to the French Riviera and who knows if we'll ever come back.

I saw a tour for a half day in Cannes. It is for 4 hrs, and they go to Monaco, Monte Carlo and Eze Village. We will be missing out on Nice and St. Paul, 2 places I read shouldn't be missed.

Has anyone done intensive ports like this before? What's your suggestion? Are you exhausted by the 4th day?

Hi,

We just returned and did a private tour for our Cannes stop. The tour was 5 hours (Nice, Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo). Since our time was limited, this tour included a fair amount of time driving along the coastal road. We had 1hr in Eze (beautiful walk up to the top garden), stopped along the coast for photos + time in Monte Carlo. Nice, we only drove through. Our quide was very good, talking about all the sights we were seeing, We were feeling tired by Cannes so this tour was a little easier than the past 3 days.

We decided to walk around Cannes ourselves after the tour.... highly recommend this! We went up to the church (lots of stairs :eek:) but the view was wonderful. Also a great pedestrian walk with cafes & shops, 2 streets up from the main road. Very close to the tenders. The shops had some of the best prices I had seen in any of the ports. As inviting as going back to the ship was, we're glad we spent the 3 hrs walking in Cannes. :)

Hard to imagine things less expensive in Cannes than elsewhere. I'd always been told it's one of the most expensive places in the south of France.

Anyway, we have no interest in shopping. I keep wondering what else is pleasant in that city. (We will walk to the church to see the view.)

Hi,

We just returned and did a private tour for our Cannes stop. The tour was 5 hours (Nice, Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo). Since our time was limited, this tour included a fair amount of time driving along the coastal road. We had 1hr in Eze (beautiful walk up to the top garden), stopped along the coast for photos + time in Monte Carlo. Nice, we only drove through. Our quide was very good, talking about all the sights we were seeing, We were feeling tired by Cannes so this tour was a little easier than the past 3 days.

We decided to walk around Cannes ourselves after the tour.... highly recommend this! We went up to the church (lots of stairs :eek:) but the view was wonderful. Also a great pedestrian walk with cafes & shops, 2 streets up from the main road. Very close to the tenders. The shops had some of the best prices I had seen in any of the ports. As inviting as going back to the ship was, we're glad we spent the 3 hrs walking in Cannes. :)

That's' exactly what we're going to do after the 3 full day tours in Italy, we don't want another full 9 hr. tour. And, that's a good idea to walk around in Cannes on your own. I was just going to head back to the ship, however, I can't see myself in Cannes and not taking the time to walk around and take some photos.

We're a group of 8 coworkers, so whoever wants to walk around Cannes can do so and whoever wants to head back to the ship and relax can do so also.

Thanks for your comments.:)

• 2 months later...

Archived