Just back - Freedom ..4/15 - 4/21 Fantastic! Quick Review

abisha

Hey Lynn just sat down & said I can do this I FOUND IT :eek::D:D.

Will now book our cruise on the Freedom for Dec 1 st. It is a 8 day & sounds good.

Thanks again

Char

Char..do you still need phone number of the scooter rental company? Let me know. I found the document with phone number on it.

Lynn: yes please if you have it right there, that would be great. Thanks

Here you go Char..

Erika Fixler

Special Needs Group

Phone: (954) 585-0575 Toll Free: 1-800-513-4515

Fax: (954) 585-0577 Toll Free: 1-800-513-4516

Email: efixler@specialneedsgroup.com

The battery stayed charged for quite awhile and that scooter really zipped along very quickly. It was compact enough as well to fit into tight spaces vs. a larger wider scooter that you see. It was a three wheeled and seemed to be a new model.

good luck and enjoy!

Lynne

we are considering the freedom for a future cruise. since your DH uses a scooter and i think you said you did not have a handicap cabin room .can you tell me about the bathroom? grab bars? room for shower chair? step up into bathroom?

if you had a balcony cabin how easy or difficult was it to go outside your cabin to the balcony?

Continued ...

We used the self serve laundry. the dryer didn't work..had to reload in another one, but had less laundry to do when we got home.

At sea days... lots of fun out by main pool on lido..the usual stuff going on but still had alot of laughs. Beautiful sunny weather daily which was nice.

Excursions...

Key West..loved it. We did City View Trolley (purchased tickets on their website..much cheaper). DH took scooter as they do have a lift on their trolleys. This trolley tour is a hop on and off when you want. We went to higgs beach but it was loaded with sea weed..not a great beach but we did find it relaxing. Could have used more time to go in museums and see other things (will go back to KW some day for sure). Tried the key lime pie on a stick at Kermits...delicious!

People saw dolphins next to ship when leaving, but we were on other side, and I was mad I missed it.

Grand Cayman... tender port..(DH didn't use scooter as it excursion didn't allow for it and had a very tough time walking to excursion vehicle..and we did not see any other wheelchair runners (as they call them) here.

We did Stingray city...an absolute blast. The stingrays are a lot of fun. DH even picked up a live conch shell..highly recommend it and Rum Pointbeach . Rum Point is gorgeous..wish we could have spent more time here. I highly recommend it. We booked through Carnival, but there's many other companies out there.

Jamaica...(lots of wheelchair runners..they charge $5 each way, but worth it if you need it..very long pier). We did Bamboo Beach club. It was just ok. Beach is manmade..you sink heavily in the sand and beach has lots of coral in water. Water isn't the pretty clear turquois color. We were served lots of Jamican food (it was so so) and the Jamaican hostesses did some dancing. I probably wouldn't recommend this excursion. Would like to revisit and see more of island as I do like Jamaica and thought the island was very interesting.

Continued...

Did you do book your excursion in Jamaica with Carnival? If so, how accesible was the transportion?

we are considering the freedom for a future cruise. since your DH uses a scooter and i think you said you did not have a handicap cabin room .can you tell me about the bathroom? grab bars? room for shower chair? step up into bathroom?

if you had a balcony cabin how easy or difficult was it to go outside your cabin to the balcony?

It was not a handicap cabin. Scooter just fit through cabin entry door.

You need to step up into the bathroom itself. DH was ok to do this as he is not confined all day to the scooter (he has MS and cannot walk long distances or stand for awhile). I did see grab bars in the bathroom next to toilet and in the shower.

I had an ocean view, so I cannot comment about the balcony.

The Freedom is a great choice.

Did you do book your excursion in Jamaica with Carnival? If so, how accesible was the transportion?

Hello

We booked through Carnival. I was told since this port isn't the safest, it's best to book direct through them. For this excursion..only one bus out to the beach and one bus back for the group. When you get to end of pier, you enter a tent where two of your hostesses greet you. They wait for everyone in the group and guide you to the bus and they get on the bus with you. When you get to the beach, your hostesses ask that the group sit together so they can easily find you when they wait on you (they are your hostesses for the day). When it's time to head back, they come to get everyone and tell them to line up on the bus...so you are heading back with the same group. I did hear that you can leave earlier if you want and go back with another group if there's room on the bus since it's going back to the pier.

Thanks for the review. I havent been to key west....but really want to go now.

It was our first time on Key West and we loved it so much we want to go back there. There's a few museums right near the pier that we would like to visit. The City View Trolley was great, and we had an excellent guide who narrated. We stayed on the trolley and went all around the loop once so we could check out where to get off. There's tons of bars and shops. We loved the historical homes and "gingerbread" style houses.

We found it interesting..never gets over 100 degrees there.

DH and I just got back from our 6 night Western on the Freedom. We loved ALL of it! We had such a blast and the Freedom exceeded our expectations. Here's some various things I'd like to mention, but please feel free to ask away.

Flew down on Spirit Air (no frills cheap airline..not bad but seats are too close together if you are a tall person).

Stayed at Days Inn Hollywood Airport South (about 10 minutes from airport and cruiseport. Low rates, clean and spacious room and comfortable. Free shuttle to/from hotel and even to the cruiseport. Denny's is right next door.

Embarkation... We arrived at 10:30 AM (confusion with shuttle van as to where he was to drop us off..cop was telling him he couldn't drop us off and to keep on moving..but to where? It was rediculous. Shuttle driver got disgusted and went in area where buses go and we got off there.

DH is disabled (we rented a mobility scooter from rental company Carnival recommended which was waiting for us in the cabin..only $175 for the week..same price as Carnival's rental fee for a wheelchair, so scooter is worth it). He was wheeled (me following) into the VIP area for checkin which is where all folks in wheelchairs are pushed to. Checkin took about 15 minutes as only one person at the desk. We waited about 30 minutes to board (another wheelchair pusher takes over as those in terminal are not allowed to board the ship) and about first ones on the ship. Room not ready til 1:30. Headed to Deck 10 by pool and ordered my pina colada...let the vacation begin!

Cabin..oceanview..room 2283 on Main deck..right outside of glass elevators..could see elevators from doorway of the cabin. Not noisy with people, but could hear the sound the elevator makes (like a doorbell sound when it arrives and doors opened). Still liked location and would book it again..got off elevator and always near somewhere we wanted to be.

Cabin was spotless and spacious..had sofa and table and bed so comfy. Steward was great and remembered our names right off the bat. Second to last day of cruise, he threw out all of my FunTimes!!! I saw him in hall and asked him why and he said he was told to "straighten the room". I told him people like to save those. He returned next morning will all missing ones that he threw out! Said other people complained about same thing and he had to replace them.

We had late seating in MDR...dress code enforced by matre'd. He got on microphone and went over all the dress code rules. I do have to say I didn't really see too many rule breakers if any at all. Lots of "formal" wear on elegant night which was very nice to see..alot of suits and ties, some tuxes, evening gowns. I was surprised to see it, and it was great.

We had wonderful table mates and we all got along great..all couples our age.

Continued...

OMG!!! Our steward threw out our Fun Times too!!!! I was saving them, in a NEAT pile, so I thought it was obvious, and BOOM! They were GONE!!! Never called him out on it, but I was CRUSHED!!!!:confused:

OMG!!! Our steward threw out our Fun Times too!!!! I was saving them, in a NEAT pile, so I thought it was obvious, and BOOM! They were GONE!!! Never called him out on it, but I was CRUSHED!!!!:confused:

They should really tell the stewards not to touch those. They should only empty the trash can. I had mine in a neat pile..mixed with some other odds and ends such as other miscellaneous things that were "handouts and other printed items from the ship and brochures and maps from the islands". He actually went through the pile and chose which items to throw out...the Fun Times! He left other papers. Very weird. I was so upset and shocked that they would do that. It didn't make any sense to me. I was glad to approach him on it..I wasn't mad or mean..I just said I really wanted to keep those as alot of people do. When he came back the next day with all of the missing ones, I was so happy. I wonder if he'll ever do that again!

• 1 month later...

Was on Freedom last October and was trying to save all of the towel animals to take a funny goofy picture of DH and I with all of them but on the last night we went back to our L shaped balcony deck six aft...and they were all gone...I was kind surprised but really nothing I could do..LOL.

I read your review and loved it. I had quite the opposite reaction though. It was my second cruise ever and I had huge expectations (my fault) and was disappointed. There wasn't much for me and my DH to do. We don't gamble, we like to watch the Karoke etc but it was all elderly folks singing very old country and we joked that if we heard someone singing Crazy by Patsy Cline one more time we were going to jump. Made the mistake of going to adult comedy once didn't do that again. Wished there had been more live entertainment. We were at the time 38 and 40. We went because of the itinerary of Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama but got diverted because of Hurricane Rina so we went to Cozumel, Montego Bay Jamaica, and Grand Turk. Absolutely had the best time ever in all of the ports! We were just disappointed with the decor of ship and felt a lack of things to do.

• 1 month later...

Archived