Coffee makers on board (in cabin)?

Well, like at home, I unplug my coffee maker every time I'm finished. An old habit my mom started after theirs literally sparked and caught on fire right in front of them. I think any appliance can have a problem like that, so we always unplug anything with heating element.

Well, like at home, I unplug my coffee maker every time I'm finished. An old habit my mom started after theirs literally sparked and caught on fire right in front of them. I think any appliance can have a problem like that, so we always unplug anything with heating element.

exactly - as long as it's plugged in, it is connected to a power source.....switching it off does not ensure it's really 'off'.... :)

I'm one who is hooked on coffee and wants it before I start the day. I bought an immersion heater and a jar of instant coffee before our first cruise - just knowing that without it, I couldn't get my java fix to wake up.

DH detests instant coffee, so I would ``perk'' my own cup of instant in a cup while he showered and dressed for the morning and then send him up on deck to scavenge for fresh perked coffee to bring back to the room. By our second cruise I was packing travel mugs for his early morning scavenger hunts and by our third cruise we just started throwing on clothes as soon as we woke up to go out on deck and savor what was offered in coffee pots available before going back to our cabin to shower and dress for the day.

Somewhere along the way of java morning fix we found room service - and our life of cruising was changed forever.

I'm talking true room service, dial on the phone and ask service, not those little cards you put out on your door the night before to request breakfast served at a given time.

Morning ritual goes: wake up, open eyes, remember where we are; find the phone, dial room service and order a pot of coffee, two cups and 4 Danish (O.K., so I'm a real pig about Danish); run to the bathroom and closet to look reasonably presentable and within a few minutes a knock comes to our door and hey, there's coffee and Danish.

We always tip at least $2 to the room service attendant and add a small surprise of a sweet treat, candy sucker, bag of M&M's, mini candy bar, etc.

The smiles we get from our room service stewards when that small candy treat is wrapped up inside the dollar bills is priceless and genuine and we'd much rather see their friendly smiles at our door with a pot of coffee early in the morning than see our fumbling early morning efforts trying to make a pot of coffee in our room.

In fact, DH gets kicks timing our early morning room service coffee call. Average time has been between six to 10 minutes - which is about as fast, if not faster, than I can get my eyes opened enough to find, fill and make a pot of coffee in our cabin. And we get fresh Danish warm out of the oven to boot!

Dianne

Archived