What's the Difference?

GetNby

I tend to chuckle whenever someone starts trying to make comparisons and gives stereotypical opinions about each of the cruise lines. To me, it's a bit like comparing automobiles. Ask people their opinions about Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Buick, Mecedes Benz, Toyota, etc. and you'll get various opinions and misconceptions about each of those, too. Unless someone has sailed on every ship in every cruise line, how can you make a fair and unbiased comparison? Too often, you'll hear someone say "Well, I've never been on ????, but I've heard ----- about it, so I'll never sail with them." The myths and misconceptions are repeated over and over again. Yes, Carnival Corporation owns Carnival, Holland America, Princess, and others. But, even though there are some similarities, each cruise line is different. Hyundai, Lincoln-Mercury, and BMW automobiles all have some similarities ( four wheels, an engine, a transmission, etc.), but they each have their own differences, too. Unfortunately, the only way to "test drive" a cruise is to commit a few days (and several hundred dollars) and go on one, unlike test-driving an automobile, which only takes about an hour and no financial commitment. Wouldn't it be great if we could take a "test drive" for a few hours on each cruise ship, without financial commitment, to determine which cruise ship is right for each of us? :cool:

I have been on all the lines mentioned, plus a few more. So have a lot of others here.

The lines I don't care for (Carnival and NCL) I could give 500 words or more why I didn't care for them and why it would take a lot to convince mr to cruise with them again.

However, people are looking for different things and what they want on a cruise ship may be the opposite of me. I don't want neon, party hearty, super casual and we're not looking for bargain basement pricing. Other people may find understated and elegant boring, we prefer that atmosphere.

Neither is right or wrong. But it can be a mistake to make assumptions that people are basing their opinions on what others may think.

With one word describe the following cruislines...

Carnival - Great

Celebrity

Royal Caribbean - OK (over rated)

NCL

Princess - Peaceful

Trying to decide whether to stay with who I have cruised before to a change up.

I am trying another RCCL next year. Friends seem to think it is better. The way I think about it is that no matter which one I choose I still wont have to make a bed, cook any meals, do any dishes, do any laundry etc. But I do want to start sticking with one specific line to earn the perks.

Carnival

Celebrity

Royal Caribbean

NCL

Princess

Carnival - Younger/Fun/Cheapest

Celebrity - Modern understated accessible premium

Royal Caribbean - Disney Jr, Mall of the seas with largest kid arcade/midway games, won't even know you're travelling, cheap

NCL - MC choice of cruising with many options, all $$, cheap

Princess - Classic/Traditional/Older Cruising Experience

Carnival Value

Celebrity Quality

Royal Caribbean Overpriced

NCL Casual

Princess Haven't sailed

See my responses in red above. One NOT mentioned is Disney Cruise Line and my one word: PHENOMENAL!!!!

Archived