Which Beach for Best Snorkeling

cruisewantabe

Dzul Ha is the best for free snorkeling, though you should buy some food/drinks. Dzul Ha isn't really a "beach" like most people think of a beach. There is some sand, but it doesn't go out into the water. The real beaches where the sand goes out into the water are generally pretty poor choices for snorkeling. The clubs that have a rocky shoreline are much better for snorkeling.

A good plan is to first snorkel at Dzul Ha until you have had enough, then taxi to one of the beach clubs a bit farther south.

We snorkeled at Dzul-Ha last Wednesday. Absolutely beautiful! We saw many kinds of coral, sea fans, many colorful fish, etc. From the "beach"/club area it works best to walk up (north) the road a bit to get in as the current tends to move you south. Since we'd planned on going to a more beachy beach after this, we rented VW's from Smart cars for $23/day (bring copy of their web ad). The cars were bugs that were transformed into convertibles and they were alot of fun in themselves! Since our two drivers were into cars (my husband a weekend mechanic/tinkerer and my brother-in-law, a professional high-end mechanic and race car driver) we felt confident we could deal with any issues the cars presented. The only issue that came up was my seatbelt (the only functioning one in our car!); I automatically put the seatbelt on and it didn't want to let me go....it gave us a good laugh! Have fun!!

Thank you Rosie and Bruce for the great information. To get into the water do you know if I need the protective booties, or will regular fins do okay? The VW idea sounds like a lot of fun. I think I will do the Dzul Ha, first thing, then go down to Paradise to hang out for while. After that gets old a little shopping.

To go from Dzul Ha to Paradise, how far do you think it is? Will I have to take a cab?

Also from Paradise to Carlos and Charlies will I need to take a cab?

Thank you again, I can't wait:D

You don't need water shoes in Dzul Ha, but it is easier to get in and out of the water with them so if you have them I would bring them.

Paradise is about a 10 minute taxi ride from Dzul Ha area.

Paradise to CnC which is close to downtown is about a 15-20 minute taxi ride.

Taxis are plentiful here on the island so you shouldn't have any trouble locating one from any stop you mentioned.

You don't need water shoes in Dzul Ha, but it is easier to get in and out of the water with them so if you have them I would bring them.

Paradise is about a 10 minute taxi ride from Dzul Ha area.

Paradise to CnC which is close to downtown is about a 15-20 minute taxi ride.

Taxis are plentiful here on the island so you shouldn't have any trouble locating one from any stop you mentioned.

Yep, what Jacq said.

Went to Cozumel last week. Took a cab from the pier to Dzul Ha (prounounced Zul Ha) for $11. Rented snorkel gear for $10/pp. It was $2 extra for the life vests. Frankly, in the salt water, I don't think you need them unless you're a tentative swimmer. It's also easier and more fun to dive a little and then blow the water out of your snorkel. Very hard to do that with an inflated vest. If you have your own gear, just go right in. Wonderful snorkeling!!!! Lots of parrot fish, grouper, needlenose, tons of little colorful fish, blowfish, angelfish, and many more. We LOVED it. There's a place to buy drinks, and sit & hang out at tables, but I didnt' see any food. I'd say you will not need watershoes, b/c you'll be wearing fins, right? If you do not have fins, water shoes are a good idea. It's a little rocky in the beginning. Keep in mind there is NO BEACH at all. Just a few stairs to walk down, although it's a little rough right at the water's edge. If you go straight from disembarking, you'll beat the larger crowds with the tours. If you see tons of snorkels in the water, though, don't fret, the fish are still there and it's still great snorkeling.

We then went to Paradise Beach, (I think about another $12 for the cab ride for 4 of us) and had a great afternoon there. Got another cab back to the pier, did some shopping and got back on the boat. Cabs were plentiful. Best port day of our trip.

We wore our water shoes/tevas to walk to our entry point into the water since we went a little north to enter the water. Once we were in a couple feet of water we put on our fins and snorkel gear. Since my husband's fins came in a nice netted bag with bilateral shoulder straps it was easy to just bring our water shoes along. We had some delicious Mexican food at Dzul Ha.

Archived