Why is everyone obsessed with OBC'S

susie8862

Do you know how ES works? If the cruise price goes down before final payment date you get the difference credited back to you (ES or otherwise). If you book ES any drops after final payment you get back in OBC (if you don't use it all, or any of it for that matter, they cut you a check at the end of the cruise). Eeither way, you pay the lowest price....

Other OBC's, such as shareholder and FCC, are applied as a bonus, no matter what the cost of the cruise is. Everyone loves getting money back!;)

Actually, our cruise is next Jan - and our price drop is being given back in OBC, not credited to the cruise price. Carnival terms from their website:

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

If anyone else here is getting their cruise price reduced instead of OBC - please let me know how to do that! We already have shareholder OBC and FCC OBC - and we don't spend a lot of money onboard! ;)

And I ask back to the OP... I have booked ES and am happy with my rate. But if the rate drops - why wouldn't I want to get that lower rate? It's money in my pocket (either $ or OBC) - meaning an overall reduction of my cruise cost! So yes, I watch the prices and am happy when I get some money back out of it - like the $40 I just got this week - that'll pay for a few drinks. lol

We always book with the Interline Rate, and that NEVER goes down. The only OBC that we get is from our Carnival Stock.

And it's because of the Interline rate that we're able to go out on so many cruises a year...

If anyone else here is getting their cruise price reduced instead of OBC - please let me know how to do that! We already have shareholder OBC and FCC OBC - and we don't spend a lot of money onboard! ;)

Are you paid in full? If not, you can have the difference applied to the amount you owe. I've done it. :D

Don't get me wrong....I am sure they are great, but I would much rather know that I was able to get the best price for my cruise.

Example....15 Day Hawaii ...paid $1999 for Balcony

Today..(although sold out) $2769 (this was the ending figure and the cruise is still NINE MONTHS AWAY)

THAT IS A $768 difference per person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 day Caribbian premium balcony

now this is for 4/14 $969

I know darn well that this will go up hundreds of dollars between now and then.

So, my question is...(truly trying to understand)

Why are so many people obsessed with OBC'S as opposed to saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars by booking early? Thank you for any insight you may have.:)

It's the same thing. When I get OBC, it means I am paying less for my room, getting the best price. OBC means less cash out of pocket.

We booked 6 months early and still ended up with $400 OBC. Now don't need to put any cash on my S&S

and carnival loves that people are "buying" into this. obc costs them a fraction of a real dollar value. nice gimmick.

I don't understand your logic.

If I get OBC from price drops, I get to spend it the same as cash. It is money I would otherwise pay out of pocket to spend on board, the same as someone who didn't get OBC from a price drop.

Your $400 spent onboard is no different than my OBC $400. The difference is yours is coming out of your bank account when you disembark and mine came out when I paid for my cruise.

I like some money back. I rec'd one OBC from a price drop. The price has to drop under that price to get another one, right?

Correct. That is now your new price to check against. If you could continue to check for reductions from your original fare, you could claim the same reduction again and again...wouldn't that be nice? LOL.

I look for the best price overall and I consider OBC to be cash because I can use it to pay my tips *or* I could cash it out at the end of the cruise if I somehow ended up with more OBC than my S&S bill.

For example, if my choices are a rate of $1,000 with no OBC ,or a rate of $1,075 with a $100 OBC, I'm going to pay $1,075 for my cruise because the net cost to me is less overall.

I don't consider OBC to be an opportunity to buy drinks and souvenirs onboard. I consider it tips, which I'll have to pay one way or another anyway.

Correct. That is now your new price to check against. If you could continue to check for reductions from your original fare, you could claim the same reduction again and again...wouldn't that be nice? LOL.

yes, that would be nice! Thanks for the clarification.

and carnival loves that people are "buying" into this. obc costs them a fraction of a real dollar value. nice gimmick.

NO ONE ever mentions that, and you are totally right. So if you get $100 OBC and use it to buy 14 beer onboard...those beers cost the cruise line about $12....so how much 'free money' are they really giving you?;)

NO ONE ever mentions that, and you are totally right. So if you get $100 OBC and use it to buy 14 beer onboard...those beers cost the cruise line about $12....so how much 'free money' are they really giving you?;)

Good point, but if you're using it to pay gratuities, it's a one for one. :D

Good point, but if you're using it to pay gratuities, it's a one for one. :D

Very true.

What I try to do is spend the same amount onboard whether I have $500 OBC or zero. I'd rather get money back at the end than just blow OBC on junk or extra drinks I usually would not buy.

Don't get me wrong....I am sure they are great, but I would much rather know that I was able to get the best price for my cruise.

Example....15 Day Hawaii ...paid $1999 for Balcony

Today..(although sold out) $2769 (this was the ending figure and the cruise is still NINE MONTHS AWAY)

THAT IS A $768 difference per person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 day Caribbian premium balcony

now this is for 4/14 $969

I know darn well that this will go up hundreds of dollars between now and then.

So, my question is...(truly trying to understand)

Why are so many people obsessed with OBC'S as opposed to saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars by booking early? Thank you for any insight you may have.:)

Just Returned from trip out of Baltimore had $575.00 OBC . Only used $450.00 went to guest services the last day and got the other $125.00 in cash. I also book early but u have to watch the prices all the time to get OBC.

Depends on if you were going to buy the 14 beers regardless of OBC or not.

If you were, then $ for $.

If not, then you could sufficiently argue your point.

GP

No...my fault. I just went back and re-read what I was trying to say. You and a couple of other people thought I did not know what it meant to get an OBC.

LOL...I do. Been cruising for manymanymany years. Oh, Geezzz, I'm old. No...what I REALLY was trying to say:

I see soooo many posts about OBC and hardly any about ES, which to ME is much more worth asking and talking about. Yes, I understand you can get both and I have. $50 here...$50 there. And yes, I will take anything I can get.

IMO, teaching newbies about saving sooooo much money by booking early is so much more important.

My job does not allow much flexibility in scheduling vacation. I have to wait my turn, and pick a week or 2 at a time. This process starts in October for the following year. I would love to be able to plan a vacation way in advance, but with my job, that is not possible.

Everbody's circumstances are different. Also, early saver does not work for everyone, as many things can change, especially if you have an elderly person in your group. I like to book past guest rate, as it offers me flexibilily, and I still get price adjustments up to final payment.

Depends on if you were going to buy the 14 beers regardless of OBC or not.

If you were, then $ for $.

If not, then you could sufficiently argue your point.

GP

Whether you were going to buy them or not, the comp to you might be $100....but the COST of the comp for the line is $12;)

Archived