Wrist Leash for active 3year old on cruise.

scrap4girls

No judgmental LOOKS, if you know what I mean, at which I was pleasantly surprised.), but around the 4th day he decided that he wanted to be the big boy and hold the tail, and refused to let anyone else hold it.

We took our niece to the DC zoo (massive hill!) with her backpack and the other kids thought she looked really cool and the other parents wish they'd thought of that as they pushed their MacLaren's and City Mini's up the hill :-)

We tried the wrist one and wound up in the ER with a dislocated shoulder... Daddy was holding it and letting the little guy run as far as he could on it, he ran to far and it jerked him back. Totally daddy's fault for letting him use it like that, but we don't use it anymore.

Now we have a Yoda backpack that we took apart and sewed a harness into, he loves giving Yoda a ride and taking a "Jedi walk".

Don't beat yourself up. My friend is an ER Doc and she says that she sees dislocated elbows often in the ER because adults are holding small child's hand and the child trips and the adult yanks them purely on instinct so that they don't fall. She told me that it's best just to let them fall but as parents we want to protect them from falling so we try and prevent those falls and sometimes bad things still happen.

We used tha backpack ones at WDW. I liked the fact that it was easy to remove the leash in places I didn't need it but would use it in the crowds. My kids liked having a toy (it was a bear and a lion) that could hold their snack and Kleenex.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a three year old boy and we have just booked our first cruise around the Med' this summer. I am particularly worried about crowded places and busy roads. We already have a little back pack with with a strap. We have not found the need to use this in our home town for quite some time. I just bought a wrist strap from e-bay. It has arrived and looks ever so uncomfortable but my little boy seems to like it and understands why we have bought it. I am going to take the stroller, back pack and wrist strap and just react to each situation and how we feel about the risks posed at each port. I hope you have a really great cruise.

People who give rude looks or make snide remarks probably have never been a parent!

Speaking as a non-parent, but devoted aunt, I would respectfully disagree. I'd look at the parent with admiration for being willing to use a creative way to keep their child close by and safe. :)

When my daughter was a toddler we tried the chest reigns but she hated that, and used to buckle her knees if we put it on her. I tried the wrist leash when we went xmas shopping in Oxford St. We went to get in a lift in Selfridges, and just as she got in ahead of me, the doors started to close! I was panic stricken! Luckily, a man already in the lift noticed what was happening and managed to wedge the door open. Phew! No-one should critisize you for keeping control of your child (wish more parents would do this instead of letting their kids run wild!) Just be aware and do your 'risk assessments' Good Luck.

Archived