Help!!Empress of the Seas for teenagers??

Help! We have tentatively booked the RCCL Empress of the Seas for Jan 2/06 sailing, 11 night Southern Caribbean. We are taking our two teenage boys aged 13 and 15. The price is right and I am very interested in the ports of this sailing. Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Bart's, St. Kitt's etc.

My big concern is space in our room. No balconies left and just standard staterooms avail. We booked two rooms beside each other on Deck 4 so we have more space...Do we need it or can we make do with 1 room for 11 days with 4 people?

We have only been on RCCL Mariner of the Seas, which is one of the largest ships in their fleet. Will we be disappointed? I want a nice ship but my interest is more in the ports that we will visit than the size of the ship or how may bars etc.

My biggest concern is that there will be other teenagers on this ship Jan 2/06. I think my children will be terribly disappointed if there isn't anyone else their age on board. I understand it is usually an older crowd, but I thought since it is right after Christmas that there might be a few more kids on board. Anyone else travelling with kids at this time??

It's a long cruise right when most kids go back to school from Christmas break. I bet there aren't many people wanting to take their teenage children out of school right after a long holiday for a vacation.

Why would you do this unless you homeschool is beyond me. And saying it is a learning experience is lame.

If you look at the cabin square footage on the rccl web site, you'll see that on Empress the rooms are comparatively very small - definitely keep the two rooms if you decide to go.

Probably very few teens. That is a long cruise while school is in session, and it's a small ship.

It's a long cruise right when most kids go back to school from Christmas break. I bet there aren't many people wanting to take their teenage children out of school right after a long holiday for a vacation.

Why would you do this unless you homeschool is beyond me. And saying it is a learning experience is lame.

As a teacher, I can say that we are always disappointed when parents take kids out of school for vacations. A lot of learning is missed.

sueinphilly, as a matter of fact I do not home school my kids and I believe where we live the kids are off school from Dec 23 -Jan 8, so they would only miss 4 days of school.

I am looking for people to respond that may have done this ship in the past.

cruisin....I have sailed on the Empress 4 times and just took this cruise in March. It is an awesome cruise, by the way.

First off...you will definitely need the two cabins. I really doubt that there will be many teens on this cruise, but it is so port intensive that you'll be on the islands most of the time anyway. This cruise tends to attract the middle aged and up for the most part, but you never know.

We thoroughly enjoyed it and love the intimacy of the Empress. It is very different from the Mariner, however.

DEFINATELY need two rooms! While they say a room with bunks is for 4 the rooms a small by most standards . As far as teenagers or kids,we did this trip on april 11th 2005. We saw maybe four teenagers and 6 or so young ones and that is it. The ships clean and nice, but unless the kids like hanging with mom and dad, they maybe bored.. Have fun....

Well, I stand partly corrected, but I still think that taking them out of school for an extra week isn't right. As far as the ship goes it's the smallest in the fleet and you've been in the biggest in the fleet so it's going to be a big change. And I doubt many teenagers are going to be on board that time of year. Why not do a 7 day on a bigger ship and have them back for school on time :-)

sueinphilly, as a matter of fact I do not home school my kids and I believe where we live the kids are off school from Dec 23 -Jan 8, so they would only miss 4 days of school.

I am looking for people to respond that may have done this ship in the past.

Last Christmas, my family and I took the 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise aboard the Empress. We had such a wonderful time that we booked Christmas 2005 while still on the ship. My son aged 16, daughter aged 14 and my youngest who is eight had their own cabin. I highly recommend you get separate rooms. The rooms, especially the bathrooms are pretty cramped. To be honest with you, having a private cabin along with a bathroom that I didn't have to share with the kids, only added to the quality of the vacation.

There were many teenagers on the ship. My children made friends with teenagers from all over the globe. There were many families from Australia, England, Canada, etc...

I do not believe the dates you mentioned would have the same volume of teenagers however. I have read a few post on this board that state if you are trying to avoid many kids on ships, travel the week after the holiday's.

This year we sail December 19 thru the 30th. My children have to return to school January 2nd.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Jeri

We've not been on the Empress, but have been on the Mariner and other of the larger classes. Please understand, I do not mean to sound rude, but none of us really have any way of knowing whether you or your family will be disappointed. Truly, only you can look at the amenities and decide if they are acceptable. If you feel that your family needs the things available on the Voyager class (Promenade, ice skating, inline skating, JR's, larger AO facilities, or (for adults) Solarium) to have a good cruise, then you might want to rethink your plans. If those are not what make or break your time together, then go for it. I believe that it would be a good cruise for a family to do together, but that's just my opinion.

As for the cabins, two is absolutely essential for that many nights. As for other teens, I think it's likely that there may be a few, but not many, right after the holidays.

Whatever you decide, have a great time with your family.

beachchick

After doing a Voyager class ship, I think the Empress would be a bit disappointing. Especially since the Voyager class is the only cruise you've been on. Just my opinion, which is regarded for much around here.

We are also very interested in taking this cruise in the future with our friends.

First off I think that anyone who books this 11 night cruise has been enticed by the itinerary, which I find amazing, not the ship. Anyone who books the Voyager ships, which we have sailed on as well, book for the ship, not so much for the itinerary.

If you go to orbitz.com you can check exact room dimensions of the Empress of the Seas. There are 3 types of oceanview cabins, be careful which you book.

As far as children on the ship... We could never take this type of cruise before because we had school age children and therefore could only take 7 day cruises because of school vacation.

This cruise does not sail in the summer therefore less kids to begin with, but even if sailing during school break, most schools only have one week off, and this cruise sails for 12 days therefore I would imagine there would be even less kids on the boat.

We've not been on the Empress, but have been on the Mariner and other of the larger classes. Please understand, I do not mean to sound rude, but none of us really have any way of knowing whether you or your family will be disappointed. Truly, only you can look at the amenities and decide if they are acceptable. If you feel that your family needs the things available on the Voyager class (Promenade, ice skating, inline skating, JR's, larger AO facilities, or (for adults) Solarium) to have a good cruise, then you might want to rethink your plans. If those are not what make or break your time together, then go for it. I believe that it would be a good cruise for a family to do together, but that's just my opinion.

As for the cabins, two is absolutely essential for that many nights. As for other teens, I think it's likely that there may be a few, but not many, right after the holidays.

Whatever you decide, have a great time with your family.

beachchick

beachchick, thanks for the reply. You are correct, no one can decide what will be best for my family...I guess I was really looking for people that might be taking teenagers that week on the same ship so I knew my older son would have company.

I don't feel we will miss the extras that the bigger ships offer...I am ok with the decision to go on the Empress I was just concerned about the room size for 4 'adults' for 11 days and the other teens being on board.

I have looked at the Dec 19 sailing but the cost is that much higher. We do not take our kids out of school for vacations, this would be the first and only. It just fit for our schedules best.

I guess I was really looking for people that might be taking teenagers that week on the same ship so I knew my older son would have company.

then why don't you try the roll call thread for your particular cruise, since you don't seem happy with anyone's reply to your question here?? :rolleyes:

Last Christmas, my family and I took the 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise aboard the Empress. We had such a wonderful time that we booked Christmas 2005 while still on the ship. My son aged 16, daughter aged 14 and my youngest who is eight had their own cabin. I highly recommend you get separate rooms. The rooms, especially the bathrooms are pretty cramped. To be honest with you, having a private cabin along with a bathroom that I didn't have to share with the kids, only added to the quality of the vacation.

There were many teenagers on the ship. My children made friends with teenagers from all over the globe. There were many families from Australia, England, Canada, etc...

I do not believe the dates you mentioned would have the same volume of teenagers however. I have read a few post on this board that state if you are trying to avoid many kids on ships, travel the week after the holiday's.

This year we sail December 19 thru the 30th. My children have to return to school January 2nd.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Jeri

Jeri, thanks for the response. I am very happy to hear someone else has taken this trip with kids. The extensive itinerary was ok with your older kids? I am really leaning towards this trip because of the itinerary, it offers all of the islands that we want to see. Did you pick a few islands and just stay on board? What were your favourite islands? I am a beach person and we love to snorkel...I like gorgeous blue water and white sand...not much for shopping. From what I have read, I thought St. Maarten(have been there before and loved it), St. Bart's, St. Lucia, Barbados, Aruba and Curacao would be must sees and possibly St. Kitt's,Grenada, Margarita Island we would stay on board just for a rest. Also, did you feel the movement of the ship being it was smaller?

Sorry for all of the questions Jeri.

then why don't you try the roll call thread for your particular cruise, since you don't seem happy with anyone's reply to your question here?? :rolleyes:

thanks terri23, I am pretty new at this and I didn't see the Roll Call for certain sailings, I will post on that.

I am very grateful and happy with everyone's responses.

Cruisin24, the itinerary is the best part of the package. Who cares how small and or old the ship is, when every morning you wake up to a new island/adventure. The kids were thrilled to be visiting so many different islands and were never too tired for the next days exploration.

My family and I did not choose to spend any of the days in port on the ship. The pool on the ship is very small and I along with you am a beach person. We all had snorkeling gear along with books and magazines.

Aruba - Rented a car and explored the island. It is very small and friendly and the beaches are crystal clear with the softest sand I have ever seen. I feel the most comfortable walking around this island, day or night.

2005 we are going to do the Jolly Pirate trip.

St Maarten - Rented a car and explored a much of the highlights. We then returned the car and went into town so we could shop and shop and shop some more.

2005 - My husband and son are going to do the sailboat race, while my daughters and I shop and shop and shop some more.

St. Lucia - We hired a driver and explored the islands main attractions. This island is beautiful and the people leave you very humble with their generous hospitality. It was a wonderful and eye-opening experience for the whole family.

2005 - We may leave the kids on the ship, while my husband and I visit a couples only resort. Or we may charter a trip to Marigot bay via sail/catamaran.

St Barts - We spent the day at St Jean beach. It is a very nice and very expensive island. We attempted to rent chairs and they wanted $25.00 per chair. We sat on the sand! There was a photo shoot in progress with a bikini model. She had on more clothes then most of the women. My husband and teenage son really enjoyed that beach.

2005 - We have reserved a rental car and hope to see much more of the island this time. Between the crazy drivers and the narrow roads, this should prove to be an adventure,

St Kitts - hired a driver to see the islands highlights, at the end we were dropped of downtown where all the shops were. It was so congested and hot that day, we chose to return to the ship to eat and take a nap.

2005 - We are going to book a cruise to Nevis Island to snorkel and swim.

Margarita Island - We stepped of the ship and took a short walk past vendors right to the beach. We were able to rent chairs for 2.00 each and we had a very relaxing day listing to live music and sipping margaritas on the beach. Me and my children found some really beautiful handmade items at the vendors located nearby.

2005 - Repeat

Granada was taken off the itinerary last year, so that will be a new adventure. We will hire a driver to take us around the island and visit as many local vendors as possible. It is my understanding that this island has suffered tremendously and the locals are in great need of the revenue.

Curacao - We went to the aquarium, it was okay. We then proceeded on to Aquarium beach, which was nice. I seen a lot of the ship's crew visiting that beach. After lunch we walked into town and explored the shops and vendors.

2005 - I have booked a Dolphin Encounter for my youngest daughter. The day will probably end with us swimming and maybe going in to town again. My husband and two older children will do an adventure on their own.

Barbados - We rented a car to explore the island. Finding our way around was a challenge to say the least. The highlight was Harrison's Cave, we all enjoyed that experience. The water was magnificent and postcard perfect.

2005 - We are going to spend the day at The Boatyard. My kids are just dying to swim out to the trampolines that are floating in the water. We may take a tour out to Crane Beach beforehand.

The ships movement can be felt at the early dinner seating due to the fact it's engines are starting up and the ship is getting ready to depart for the next port. The last day at sea was the return to San Juan from Aruba. It was a very active day for the ship and the sea. So much so, that they had to close the pool and cancel some of the activities. Outside of that day, I never really noticed much movement.

I hope this helps.

Jeri

cruisin24 I hope you have a great time. I have never been on that ship so I can't tell you what it is like. But I can tell you what it is like to sail with kids when there aren't many others on board. TERRIFIC. We did with ours and it was a great family time. There is nothing wrong with being together as a family on an entire vacation.

Just a note. We were on the 4/11/05 sailing of the Empress. It was absolutely great. Mostly older persons who could spend the 11 days. I would guess that there would be more teens in January.

During the cruise, we were told by a number of other passengers that they had been told (who knows by whom?) that RCI would be dropping St. Barths and Grenada next year and would be adding Tortola and another day at sea to the itinerary.

This made sense to us since St. Barths doesn't seem to cater to cruise ships and Grenada is still rebuilding. We would be sad to see them hurt Grenada again, but would understand that other islands might be more approprite for the cruise passengers right now. As far as the extra day at sea, I'm sure that it would be in the ship's best interest to keep persons onboard more.

We are doing this cruise (for the 2nd time) on January 30, 2006 and they still show St Barths and Genada as ports of call. I wouldn't mind missing those 2 ports as there isn't a great deal to do in either port - especially Grenada as most things are closed on Sunday. I don't think we saw a half dozen kids on the entire cruise. It's a wonderful cruise and you'll enjoy it.

Cruisin24,

I am curious if you have made a decision on the post holiday cruise? You mentioned that the holiday cruise was much more expensive than the trip you priced. To be honest with you, the expense was a large factor that made us book again on the Empress a second time. Every other ship that we priced during the holiday season, was close to twice the amount that we are paying for our two cabins, one balcony, one ocean view upon the Empress.

JK

We were on the empress on april 11th. St barts is a GREAT place if you are beach and water folks. If you are not ,then prices and things to do limit you. There are very few places in the caribbean ,that have better beaches on one island. I suggest to ALL, rent a car and see the whole island. While it is TOO expensive to shop or buy anything there beaches are great! Folks need to explore the island and not just walk the main town or walk to shell beach. Have fun folks....Spanky My

I traveled on several cruises with my family as a kid and teenager and we always shared 1 cabin--usually the smallest category inside. I assure you it can be done. We did a 12 nighter to Alaska on the Golden Princess (former Royal Viking Sky) in an inside when I was 19 and my sister was 17. Would it have been nice to have two cabins? Sure...but it also would have been nice to have a suite. Wasn't feasible. Can't say it detracted from the trip at all. Obviously, there are a lot of factors to consider like your budget and your relationship with your teens, as well as how much time you like to spend in your cabin. I haven't sailed on Empress yet (scheduled for March 06), but have been in cabins much smaller than hers and been just fine. Good luck and have fun...

Archived