Overnight tour in Israel

uktog

I am considering the overnight off the ship tour on Azamara that covers Nazareth, Jerusalem and Bethlehem. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has done an equivalent ships based tour - yes I know I can do it independently but I am not interested in comments on independent tours. We have a large amount of on board credit on a ship that already includes all our wine etc and are therefore wondering about using the credit in this connection. We can also do Nazareth from Haifa and Jerusalem from Ashdod where we are overnighting so have 2 possible days there

I am very interested in whether you say anything else in addition to the main sites in each place - for example what did you see en route

Thanks

I am considering the overnight off the ship tour on Azamara that covers Nazareth, Jerusalem and Bethlehem. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has done an equivalent ships based tour - yes I know I can do it independently but I am not interested in comments on independent tours. We have a large amount of on board credit on a ship that already includes all our wine etc and are therefore wondering about using the credit in this connection. We can also do Nazareth from Haifa and Jerusalem from Ashdod where we are overnighting so have 2 possible days there

I am very interested in whether you say anything else in addition to the main sites in each place - for example what did you see en route

Thanks

I'm a great fan of over-niting ashore, we've done it a few times. Cuts down potentially repetetive travel, allows a full day & evening at the destination, and you're where you want to be first thing next morning.

Last October we overnited in Jerusalem while the ship overnited in Ashdod.

We did it independently, but what we wouldn't have done independently is overnite in Israel while our ship sailed Haifa / Ashdod - the situation in Israel is too volatile to be sure that the ship will port. For instance, a few rockets were lobbed from Gaza onto Ashdod a week or so after our cruise, & the port was missed by several cruise ships. That would leave overniters stranded :eek:

The security of being on a ship's tour is generally over-rated, but in this instance it's a factor. Add your OBC, & its a bit of a no-brainer.

But I'd certainly expect much more of an itinerary than you've quoted. To Nazareth add the Sea of Galillee, River Jordan baptisms, a kibbutz & several minor places. And that's on just a day tour !!

Bethlehem involves a fair bit of wasted time due to traffic & the enclave border. In Jerusalem, just the walled city is worthy of a full day. Then theres Mount of Olives, etc etc.

Haifa to Nazareth the scenery is boring, it's much better around Galillee / Golan Heights.

Ditto Ashdod / Jerusalem, it's much better to the south (Negev Desert) and east (Masada / Dead Sea)

JB :)

Thanks for this helpful information, certainly am planning to work with the ships excursions on this trip and the reasons you state in your post are part of our consideration.

The offering is join the trip from Haifa and do Nazareth, Jordan etc and then drive to Jerusalem and overnight there before joining the ship late the next night (although we do not sail away until afternoon next day) I would have liked the ship to do a three day two night tour but they do not offer that

• 1 month later...

We did this overnight with Azamara a few years ago. We had an outstanding guide. It is one of the most memorable excursions we have done. There were about 35 of us that did it. We would do it again.

I'm a great fan of over-niting ashore, we've done it a few times. Cuts down potentially repetetive travel, allows a full day & evening at the destination, and you're where you want to be first thing next morning.

Last October we overnited in Jerusalem while the ship overnited in Ashdod.

We did it independently, but what we wouldn't have done independently is overnite in Israel while our ship sailed Haifa / Ashdod - the situation in Israel is too volatile to be sure that the ship will port. For instance, a few rockets were lobbed from Gaza onto Ashdod a week or so after our cruise, & the port was missed by several cruise ships. That would leave overniters stranded :eek:

The security of being on a ship's tour is generally over-rated, but in this instance it's a factor. Add your OBC, & its a bit of a no-brainer.

But I'd certainly expect much more of an itinerary than you've quoted. To Nazareth add the Sea of Galillee, River Jordan baptisms, a kibbutz & several minor places. And that's on just a day tour !!

Bethlehem involves a fair bit of wasted time due to traffic & the enclave border. In Jerusalem, just the walled city is worthy of a full day. Then theres Mount of Olives, etc etc.

Haifa to Nazareth the scenery is boring, it's much better around Galillee / Golan Heights.

Ditto Ashdod / Jerusalem, it's much better to the south (Negev Desert) and east (Masada / Dead Sea)

Great info. Just wanted you to know, you also helped me. Did you get baptized in the Jordan River? If so, how was that planned as the ship is not offering that? Thanks again.

Great info. Just wanted you to know, you also helped me. Did you get baptized in the Jordan River? If so, how was that planned as the ship is not offering that? Thanks again.

We watched baptisms, but didn't get involved. They were on-going the whole time we were there, a bit like a production-line. Standing waist-deep, in a white garment, & ducked backwards. Took mebbe 4 or 5 mins per person. Got photos but sorry, hopeless at uploading them. I'd guess either they're for a pre-booked time or you join a line - so either way it wouldn't work out on a shared van-tour.

So, sorry, can't help. Saw your new thread-starter. Hopefully someone knows the score, or you'll have to trawl the 'net

Archived