Star Family Suite (SJ) - Cabin 12018

computerworks

Thanks so much for all the great pictures. Was the fold out couch uncomfortable? I'm trying to decide between it or the murphy bed for our upcoming cruises in SJ's. It would just be one person, so the size of the murphy bed would be ok. Although I would prefer to be able to see the TV at night, it is the mattress I'm more interested in comfort-wise. Oh, and did you have a menu for pillow choices?

I slept on the murphy bed last November and I had no problems. I was even able to watch TV if I turned around (put my head where the feet go.) We were 4 adults in the room and it did get a little crowded because our steward did not put the table back when he put the murphy bed up. It stayed in the middle of the room between the desk and the main bed. A lot of walking around/into the chairs.

With that said, I would definately book this room again.

Also, the mattress on the murphy bed was comfortable. I do not like hard beds or beds that are too soft. This one was fine. Also no bones like there would be with the fold out couch.

Actually, no. I think it would be fine. The cabin steward will stow the fold up beds in the a.m., so you will have the full use of the room during waking hours.

I think with the Murphy bed down, they have to jockey the rest of the furniture around, so it would be a little tight at night to navigate the room.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think 6 in the room would be "close" but, for four, it should be more than OK.

Thanks for your quick response and of course for the great pictures of the suite. We ususally get two cabins (a balcony for us and an inside for the kids) but would love to try the "suite" life... maybe we will now that I've seen the layout with detail. Thanks again.

Thanks for your quick response and of course for the great pictures of the suite. We ususally get two cabins (a balcony for us and an inside for the kids) but would love to try the "suite" life... maybe we will now that I've seen the layout with detail. Thanks again.

We booked 23 months out and got a fabulous price. Much cheaper than getting two cabins. The perks that come with a suite speaks for itself.

Thank you for the pics !! was there a lot of movies for the kids in the dvd collection?

Jan

There was a pretty good assortment for all ages...remember, the DVDs are from a shared common library; the discs are not in your cabin...you request them.

We brought our own stack of movies for the kids.

Thanks. We'll be staying in an SJ on the Dawn - these pictures are helpful. Does anyone know if the Dawn has the same curtain to divide between the windows and the wooden panel? I have seen pics but haven't noticed the curtain that partitions that area completely off.

The Dawn has no curtain that stretches between the window, and wood panel (to provide privacy between the sofa and murphy bed). There's a curtain which pulls out of a cabinet in the wall (opposite to the windows) to close off the king bed completely, but the track ends at the wood panel.

There was a pretty good assortment for all ages...remember, the DVDs are from a shared common library; the discs are not in your cabin...you request them.

We brought our own stack of movies for the kids.

thank you for the info

also did you get a egg crate to put ontop of the pull out?

Jan

Thank you very much for the extremely well-written review of this room!

How was the view out the windows? I've been thinking this would be a perfect room for an Alaskan cruise... You wouldn't need to be in the cold on the balcony to glacier-gaze.

We have been in family suite #12022 twice and we have some beautiful, perfectly clear pictures out the windows of this suite. In fact, on some of the pictures you would never dream they were being taken thru a window.

I was at first apprehensive about booking this suite because of the lack of balcony. However, it only took a few minutes in it to realize we didn't miss the balcony at all, since we had these beautiful windows giving a completely unobstructed view. I miss the Star!

Computerworks, you've done a great job showcasing this family suite. Now people can see every detail ahead of time and I think that's great!

One thing I wanted to mention - if you're not concerned about privacy - you can stand on a chair and unhook the curtains from the center and push them back to the far edges, giving your room a totally unobstructed view from all parts of the room. We never did close our curtains at all, with the exception of the curtains that surround the Murphy bed. And that was only once.

The Murphy bed is very comfy - firm but not hard. We didn't use the sofa as a bed on the second time we were in the suite. The first time we were in the suite my adult niece used it and found the sofa bed to be super uncomfortable. I laid on it too just to find out what she was talking about and agreed it was not comfy. Just about like any hide-a-bed couch. You can feel the bars and it's lumpy. The big bed and the Murphy bed were very comfy.

Folks always ask about outlets when looking at different cabins; here is the panel layout at the desk.

We always travel with the 2-pin international adapter and a 6-outlet extension strip.

There was no need for the adapter, since the panel had two 110v USA outlets.

6979111680_de28172828_b.jpg

Quick question about the electrical connections. DH uses a CPAP machine. We always have an extension cord along but from the layout and the outlets behind the desk, it looks like it may be too short.

What's the approximate distance from the 110v outlet to the head of the bed?

What's the approximate distance from the 110v outlet to the head of the bed?

Hi...you had asked this on my pre-cruise thread and I did check it out for you and posted a reply.

I paced it out and I would use a 25-30 foot extension to reach the headboard side of the bed.

Hi...you had asked this on my pre-cruise thread and I did check it out for you and posted a reply.

I paced it out and I would use a 25-30 foot extension to reach the headboard side of the bed.

Sorry I didn't see your response. But thank you for answering my question in two places!

Looks like we'll need a longer cord.

Thanks for the review, again;). I always enjoy. Just 2 questions, did you miss the balcony and do you think compared to 2 rooms it would work for a couple and 3 teens 1 girl and 2 boys?

Sorry I didn't see your response. But thank you for answering my question in two places!

Looks like we'll need a longer cord.

Or two. We were in SJ in Jan and my already long extension cord was too short but Henry our butler was able to bring another cord.

There indeed is a power point behind the nighttable but it's 2 round prong European 220V - I didn't have the plug adaptor with us (CPAP can handle both voltages).

Thanks for the review, again;). I always enjoy. Just 2 questions, did you miss the balcony and do you think compared to 2 rooms it would work for a couple and 3 teens 1 girl and 2 boys?

No, you will not miss the balcony - on Bermuda cruises (it gets so hot and muggy) - the deck is a few feet down the hallway or a few steps upstairs. No big deal.

Nice to have one very large cabin to fit whole family AND have SUITE PERKS.

The boys can share the Murphy bed and the girl can sleep along the couch (un-folded-out). Some people say the folded-out couch can be uncomfy due to the "bones".

Edit: sorry I just saw that you are coming to Bermuda THIS month - weather is so pleasant - not hot or muggy. But as I said, the decks are close by - the Bier Garten is close!!

ENJOY !!

Or two. We were in SJ in Jan and my already long extension cord was too short but Henry our butler was able to bring another cord.

There indeed is a power point behind the nighttable but it's 2 round prong European 220V - I didn't have the plug adaptor with us (CPAP can handle both voltages).

Great news! We always have the 220v adapter along, too. Thank you for posting! :)

Beautiful pictures and the pictures of the ship are great.

We will be doing West. Carib. in April 2013. It will be me, DH and GF. We are all retired. GF is widowed so we invite her on our cruises as we traveled for 25 years as 2 couples.

We will be in a SF, Deck 9 #9232 aft corner with large balcony. Did you happen to see any of the other suites besides the one you booked?

Thanks,

Norine

Great news! We always have the 220v adapter along, too. Thank you for posting! :)

Just remembered - bring the strip or something like that as there is one power point and the bedside light is plugged into it.

Sorry if this question has been answered a thousand times but what are the Suite Perks when booking the family suite?? Thanks!

I'll try not to mix the Suite and Platinum perks together, but I recall that just the Suite perks are as follow:

Priority Embarkation and Disembarkation

Breakfast and Lunch in Cagney's daily (menu do not change daily but still a GREAT perk)

Concierge - you can ask them to make dinner ressies for you

Butler - they do room services for you

Lavazza coffee machine in room

Bottle of sparkling wine and bowl of fruit

and a couple or so others

ENJOY!!

On the NCL website there is a spot where you can click and find out all of the details. But from memory I'll tell you a few.

Butler and concierge service

Breakfast and lunch in Cagney's (the best perk in my opinion!)

Priority embarkation and disembarkation

Hors d'œuvres delivered to your room every afternoon

Robes & Slippers

And there are many, many more....this is a small sampling.

Just back from the family suite on the Star and let me tell you.......

THIS CABIN IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE OWNERS SUITE ON THE JEWEL!! :D

I did the happy dance 4 steps into the cabin.

Already looking to book it again. ;)

Archived