First couple to be wed on Cunard

Ray66

The first ever Cunard wedding took place today, 29th April - the first anniversary of Prince William & The Duchess of Cambridge. Conducted by Captain Kevin Oprey.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2012/04/cunards-first-wedding-at-sea.html

Denise Holding and Barry Maloney, who run the Accrington Riding Centre in Lancashire, have cruised with Cunard many times during their 28 years as a couple. From today, they are sailing together for the first time as Mr and Mrs Maloney.

Their wedding was conducted by Captain Kevin Oprey, seen after the ceremony (above) and greeting them as they boarded the ship in Southampton on Friday for the seven-day Transatlantic crossing to New York

The first ever Cunard wedding took place today, 29th April - the first anniversary of Prince William & The Duchess of Cambridge. Conducted by Captain Kevin Oprey.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2012/04/cunards-first-wedding-at-sea.html

Denise Holding and Barry Maloney, who run the Accrington Riding Centre in Lancashire, have cruised with Cunard many times during their 28 years as a couple. From today, they are sailing together for the first time as Mr and Mrs Maloney.

Their wedding was conducted by Captain Kevin Oprey, seen after the ceremony (above) and greeting them as they boarded the ship in Southampton on Friday for the seven-day Transatlantic crossing to New York

Not quite, there have been weddings under special arrangements on QE2

Commodore Warwick married his daughter aboard QE2 in Boston Harbor in 2001

not at sea, but still on the ship

Almost anybody from any country can be married anywhere in the world, given the proper paperwork.

Almost. The reason why weddings cannot be held on a ship registered in England is that English law requires the ceremony to be open to the public, so that they can object if they wish ( If anyone has just cause why

these two may not wed, speak now, or forever hold your peace." )

Not sure how Commander Warwick got round this in Boston - possibly it was because the ship was docked.

David.

As I understand he got a lot of special permissions and it was held in dock, so maybe that was part of it.

To be honest, I am happy to see a handful of wedding on these beautiful ships, they don't get in anyone's way , we have been to 3 vow renewals and all have been conducted in places that dont get used that much and at times when few people seem to around.

Under English law the bar in the Chart Room would have to be closed.

Sorry, I now can't find where I got the reference to the Chart Room being used as the venue for this wedding :o . My apologies, if I was mistaken, I did think that I had read it somewhere. The picture shows the Board Room (where I have seen vow renewals take place before). Sorry.

I cant image using the chart room, in the past the have used the Boardroom and the Ballroom, depending how many we invited, I have been to three and it was never a problem in either venue

As far as I know they now use the Winter garden and the boardroom only on QM2

The Garden Lounge, Yacht club and Admirals on the QE

They may use a more public room for the first publicly venue

From another thread...

lst Cunard wedding at sea held in Chart Room at llam. Happy couple blew the noon whistle and had their first dance in the ballroom with the combined orchestras last night while the singer sang "Tenderly" ...

I thought I had read somewhere it was held in the Chart Room! :) . Sorry for the confusion.

That's interesting. I remember looking into options into marrying my English wife and one of them consisted of a 21 day waiting period part of which consisted 14 days where you have to give notice and its supposedly published somewhere for objections like you said.

Does that mean that even if you got married in a church or a private venue ANYBODY can crash your wedding and object by speaking up during the ceremony?

Well, they can, they would need good reason and proof of that reason, as far as I know you have to 21 days for anyone to object before the wedding as well

That's interesting. I remember looking into options into marrying my English wife and one of them consisted of a 21 day waiting period part of which consisted 14 days where you have to give notice and its supposedly published somewhere for objections like you said.

Does that mean that even if you got married in a church or a private venue ANYBODY can crash your wedding and object by speaking up during the ceremony?

If the wedding is to be in a Church of England church Banns have to be read on 3 consecutive Sundays before the wedding. There have been many cases where nutters and rejected suitors have objected to the legality of the wedding, though how they avoid this at royal weddings is by effectively ignoring the law and preventing the public from attending.

David.

From another thread...

I thought I had read somewhere it was held in the Chart Room! :) . Sorry for the confusion.

You did Pep. It was on the thread 'Notes from the QM2'

Quote,

This is still the smoothest crossing I have ever experienced. Hope it holds. Such long days also, sun is up around 5AM - although we don't see too much of it.....lst Cunard wedding at sea held in Chart Room at llam. Happy couple blew the noon whistle and had their first dance in the ballroom with the combined orchestras last night while the singer sang "Tenderly" .. Unquote

Shiny

PARTIAL QUOTE

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2012/04/cunards-first-wedding-at-sea.htm ...

Quoted from that article: The couple say it wasn't the opportunity to get married on the first anniversary of the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton that persuaded them to take the plunge, but the chance to make history as the first couple to have the ceremony performed at sea on their favourite ship

They decided to "take the plunge" after 28 years as a couple for "the chance to make history..." with noted mention of a Royal couple.Cunard uses the occasion for publicity purposes. This wedding would have been a private affair, had it not been commercialized by Cunard, apparently with the consent of the couple.

Rather reminiscent of the "Will you marry me" banner adorning QM2 on approach to a harbour in Australia.

Cunard public relations staff appear to be taking things in a new direction.

Nevertheless, Congrats and best wishes to the newlyweds.

Salacia

All weddings if in registry offices and civil partnerships have to have banns put out, Prince Charles also had them put up for wedding a few years back

We were married in St. Thomas and I had to comply with the Registry office. They put a notice out 8 days prior...Not as if we knew anyone in St Thomas who would object. :)

What happened to all the speculation...that the QM2 was going to be registered to Hamilton... to cash in on the wedding industry.

Archived