Carnival in Europe

My wife and I are looking into sailing the Carnival Sunshine in Sept 2013. The 12 night itinerary out of Barcelona looks amazing and even has an over night stop in Venice! Which was a big plus for us.

I have only sailed on Carnival once. It was a quick four nighter on the Carnival Imagination. We enjoyed it, but it definitely did not compare to our cruise we took on the Liberty of the Seas on Royal Caribbean. Then again we went on one of the oldest ships and shortest itineraries that Carnival had to offer. On the newer ships such as Sunshine will the food, entertainment, etc be better?

Also, we are probably more interested in what the Atmosphere will be like on a 12 night European Carnival cruise. Is it a bunch of older people playing bingo and shuffleboard? Or is it a bunch of people partying it up with the steel drum band on the pool deck? My wife and I are young. (around 30) but We aren't all about wild partying either. We are hoping it's somewhere in between the two extremes I mentioned ;).

There are several options and don't know which way to go, but are leaning toward this Carnival Itinerary.

If anyone has some advice or information on what Carnival is like in Europe please let me know! Thanks!

I don't think you can really compare a four-night cruise on an older ship like that--there's probably no comparison. Apples to oranges.

I've never been on a Carnival cruise that could be charactarized as "a bunch of older people playing shuffleboard and bingo" (and that includes three cruises to Alaska on Carnival) and the only one I've been on that could be called a "party cruise" was a four-night over spring break.

I'm planning a 12-night European next year and, so far, our roll call has a wide variety of ages, including some families. European cruises are about history and culture and are very port intensive so I'm not expecting to find a party crowd. I am, however, expecting to find families and all ages. I'm sure those who've sailed Carnival to Europe can let you know (but, starting out by slamming Carnival probably didn't help your cause ;)).

Here's a thread you might find helpful: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1625063

Cheers!

I sailed on the Freedom in Europe in 2007 and didn't really notice there being much of a difference in guest ages. There are a lot more Europeans on the ship, which I find very interesting to visit with.

As the PP said, it's very port intensive, but I can't wait to go back.

When we went it was the inaugural voyage from Venice, so we were in Venice of several days before getting on the ship.........I could do nothing but ride around in a Vaparetto all day, just looking at the sights.

Don't pay for an excursion to Murano or Burano, they are an easy water taxi ride away.

BTW........no steel drums on the Lido......DJ playing all different types of music.........

I don't think you can really compare a four-night cruise on an older ship like that--there's probably no comparison. Apples to oranges.

I've never been on a Carnival cruise that could be charactarized as "a bunch of older people playing shuffleboard and bingo" (and that includes three cruises to Alaska on Carnival) and the only one I've been on that could be called a "party cruise" was a four-night over spring break.

I'm planning a 12-night European next year and, so far, our roll call has a wide variety of ages, including some families. European cruises are about history and culture and are very port intensive so I'm not expecting to find a party crowd. I am, however, expecting to find families and all ages. I'm sure those who've sailed Carnival to Europe can let you know (but, starting out by slamming Carnival probably didn't help your cause ;)).

Here's a thread you might find helpful: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1625063

Cheers!

Thanks for the response. I wasn't intending to slam Carnival, I know that my four nighter on the Imagination is not a fair sample to judge Carnival by. Even for a little 4 nighter that we paid less than $500 total for two, it really wasn't bad. I'd do it again.

I am glad to hear that it's not entirely an older crowd, (Nothing against senior citizens!;)) I have just heard that sailings over 7 days tend to attract a much older crowd. I am guessing this doesn't apply quite as much for Europe. I know that our idea is if we are going to spend $$$ flying over there, we want to make it a good long trip and see a lot.

Thanks for the thread link. I'll check it out

Carnival attracts a wide demographic. I'm in my early fifties and find plenty of people my age as do my late-teen and 20-something kids. You won't be on a boat full of old fogies. ;)

Thanks for the response. I wasn't intending to slam Carnival, I know that my four nighter on the Imagination is not a fair sample to judge Carnival by. Even for a little 4 nighter that we paid less than $500 total for two, it really wasn't bad. I'd do it again.

I am glad to hear that it's not entirely an older crowd, (Nothing against senior citizens!;)) I have just heard that sailings over 7 days tend to attract a much older crowd. I am guessing this doesn't apply quite as much for Europe. I know that our idea is if we are going to spend $$$ flying over there, we want to make it a good long trip and see a lot.

Thanks for the thread link. I'll check it out

Okay...just wanted to let you know...the Sunshine is not a brand new ship. It is the Carnival Destiny and will be called the Carnival Sunshine after renovations. Here is a link that might help:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/06/2678262/renovation-new-name-ahead-for.html

Just didn't want you to think it is a brand new ship being built especially since initially built in 1996 as the Destiny.

Okay...just wanted to let you know...the Sunshine is not a brand new ship. It is the Carnival Destiny and will be called the Carnival Sunshine after renovations. Here is a link that might help:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/06/2678262/renovation-new-name-ahead-for.html

Just didn't want you to think it is a brand new ship being built especially since initially built in 1996 as the Destiny.

One would think they could have come up with a better name. What's next? The Carnival Rainbow? Maybe it's just me, but I'd be hesitant to say I was going to sail on the Sunshine. LOL.

:D

My wife and I are looking into sailing the Carnival Sunshine in Sept 2013. The 12 night itinerary out of Barcelona looks amazing and even has an over night stop in Venice! Which was a big plus for us.

I have only sailed on Carnival once. It was a quick four nighter on the Carnival Imagination. We enjoyed it, but it definitely did not compare to our cruise we took on the Liberty of the Seas on Royal Caribbean. Then again we went on one of the oldest ships and shortest itineraries that Carnival had to offer. On the newer ships such as Sunshine will the food, entertainment, etc be better?

Also, we are probably more interested in what the Atmosphere will be like on a 12 night European Carnival cruise. Is it a bunch of older people playing bingo and shuffleboard? Or is it a bunch of people partying it up with the steel drum band on the pool deck? My wife and I are young. (around 30) but We aren't all about wild partying either. We are hoping it's somewhere in between the two extremes I mentioned ;).

There are several options and don't know which way to go, but are leaning toward this Carnival Itinerary.

If anyone has some advice or information on what Carnival is like in Europe please let me know! Thanks!

I've done this itinerary twice and it is somewhere in between the two. I've never had a "shuffleboard" experience, either. I don't sail during spring break short cruise time.

Inaugurals on Dream and Magic, and about to go again on the Breeze!

Just an FYI. The Sunshine is only one year newer than the Imagination. She was built as the Destiny in 1996 and is having 3 decks added to her and having her name changed.

Just wanted you to know this ship isn't new, as in just built.

Bill

Just an FYI. The Sunshine is only one year newer than the Imagination. She was built as the Destiny in 1996 and is having 3 decks added to her and having her name changed.

Just wanted you to know this ship isn't new, as in just built.

Bill

I'm aware its only a really intense refurbishment. But a 150 million dollar Makeover seems like it should be practically a new ship. At least I hope ;)

We are going to do the Legend 12 day cruise from Venice. The Sunshine itinerary is excellent too, the dates didn't work for us.

We also like a fun atmosphere. I think the long port days will be tiring, but I want to think that there will be nightlife as well. We are 49 and 50 and love mixing it up with everyone. Have a great time!

We are going to do the Legend 12 day cruise from Venice. The Sunshine itinerary is excellent too, the dates didn't work for us.

We also like a fun atmosphere. I think the long port days will be tiring, but I want to think that there will be nightlife as well. We are 49 and 50 and love mixing it up with everyone. Have a great time!

I will have to check that itinerary as well. We definitely want to see Venice.

Archived