Handicap accessible cabins

dogo88

So this is a US law. But we don't have US-flagged ships, so which cruises are affected by this? Does this law only apply to cruises operated out of US ports? Or does it extend to any cruise you can book in the US?

Don't get me wrong--I think this is a good law and it should have been cruise line policy all along. But I'm trying to understand the reach of this law.

It applies to ships that sail out of US ports, regardless of where they are "flagged".

So this is a US law. But we don't have US-flagged ships, .so which cruises are affected by this? Does this law only apply to cruises operated out of US ports? Or does it extend to any cruise you can book in the US?

Don't get me wrong--I think this is a good law and it should have been cruise line policy all along. But I'm trying to understand the reach of this law.

Your point about no US Flagged Ships is not accurate. NCL's Pride of America is registered to the USA and sails under the USA Flag.

Law applies to any cruise ships that sails from a USA port

Am I wrong to assume that what you are saying in your last sentence , if you have a problem telling people of your handicap, which is really none of anyone's business , that you are not a 'real' handicapped person?

I read it that way as well and it kindof ticked me off a little, but I blew it off. No one should EVER feel like they have to disclose or discuss their challenges. Sometime those talking about it all the time are the ones I'm suspicios of. Luckily, my husband respects my privacy as well and doesn't discuss any challenges on a message board.

To the original poster, my apologies for the difficult nature this thread has taken!! Book a cruise, pick your cabin and have a lovely cruise!!!! :D

These special need forms do not ask the nature of your disability nor does the booking agent. They do not want your medical history. They ask if you are bringing a Wheelchair, scooter, walker etc and the size, do you need oxygen etc. They are just asking what your needs are. Also, this is for emergency purposes. If something happens to the ship they need to know who needs extra help and can't get to the muster station. In light of the Concordia incident I would want them to know. It's for your own safety. I can't imagine who would have a problem giving the cruise line this information.

These special need forms do not ask the nature of your disability nor does the booking agent. They do not want your medical history. They ask if you are bringing a Wheelchair, scooter, walker etc and the size, do you need oxygen etc. They are just asking what your needs are. Also, this is for emergency purposes. If something happens to the ship they need to know who needs extra help and can't get to the muster station. In light of the Concordia incident I would want them to know. It's for your own safety. I can't imagine who would have a problem giving the cruise line this information.

I totally agree! Heck, I'd hand over my medical history, all 6 inches worth, if they asked for it! I'm not going to post it on the web for all to see, but there are circumstances where disclosure is the best route to take, and this seems like one of those times.

I cut and pasted the questions from the HAL special needs form below. I left off the top section where it asks for passenger name, booking number, sail date, etc. Aside from the question "My weight is _____" in the mobility section, the questions seem very generic and not invasive. There is nothing asking for a description of the disabling condition/disease or anything about medical history. The form doesn't include many special need cases. It says to list any other conditions, but unless a person wanted to go into details, simply stating the condition, such as blind/deaf/autistic/dialysis/etc, should be sufficient. If a person wanted a sign-langauge interpreter, braille menus, or something else not normally provided, then that should be stated on the form.

I have trouble understanding why some people object to this type of form. My mom is a wheelchair user and she likes the forms. A few years ago when basically anyone could book an accessible cabin, we often had to check several sail dates, even a year in advance, to get an accessible cabin for her. Since most cruiselines now request a form like this one, we have had a much easier time getting an accessible cabin for her. I think people who want an accessible room but don't really need it are less likely to book one if they have to lie on a form to get it. Our last cruise was only booked 7 months in advance and Mom had several accessible cabins to choose from on our first choice sail date.

For Guests With Mobility Needs: (Check the appropriate box)

I can step up onto a bus: Yes No

I need a hydraulic lift equipped vehicle for tours or transfers: Yes No

I am requesting a Wheelchair for Embarkation and Disembarkation1 Yes No

I Will Bring A Wheelchair1: Yes No

I Will Have A Wheelchair Delivered Yes No

Type of Wheelchair2: Fold-up Electric Scooter Walker

Wheelchair/Scooter dimensions: Weight_____ lbs. Width _____ in. Length _____ in. Height _____ in. My Weight is ____ lbs kg.

For Guests With Severe Allergies: (Please list your allergies in the below box)

My allergies are food related: Yes No

I carry an epi pen for emergencies related to my allergies: Yes No

For Guests With Diabetes:

My diabetes is controlled through: Medication Diet (as noted below)

I require access to refrigerated medicine every ____ hours

I Need Hypodermic Disposal Facilities: Yes No

For Guests With Respiratory Needs:

I require the use of oxygen: Yes No3 (*SEE BELOW*)

I am bringing a CPAP machine: Yes No

I need to order distilled water: Yes No

For Guests Requiring the Assistance of a Service Animal:

I am bringing a service animal with me4: Yes No Type: ______________

Please describe any condition, illness, equipment or facilities that require special assistance that may not have been listed above. (Add Pages if necessary)5

1. Please note complimentary wheelchairs are only available for embarkation and disembarkation procedures and in emergency situations.

2. All electric mobility devices must have a gel or dry cell battery.

3. The ship has oxygen for emergency use only. Persons requiring oxygen must either make independent arrangements for their oxygen needs through CareVacations @ 877-478-7827 or Special Needs at Sea @ 800-513-4515, or bring their own.

4. Service animals must have all required immunizations and paperwork.

5. Persons undergoing CAPD (Peritoneal Dialysis) must arrange for delivery of their own solutions and supplies.

with my 84 year old mom who just had heart surgery and can't possibly get in and out of a tub, or climb into one to stand and shower. But she has no "obvious disability". We just needed to make sure she had a walk in shower with bars to hold on to, and these are the only rooms that will fill that requirement. I agree, you can't always see someone's disability. One the flip side, I would never book a HC room just for extra space (I don't know if it has extra space, to be honest, looks the same size to me).

I haven't filled out any form yet: will have to ck that out with TA. Thanks for heads up on that.

Archived