Mount Saint Helens - Astoria, Princess

We are cruising to Astoria on the Sapphire Princess next week. I would LOVE to do Mount Saint Helens, but for the Princess excursion it's over $300 for my husband and I. If anyone has done it, is it worth it? Are there any alternatives to the ship excursion? I know we could rent a car for less than $150, but the long drive kinda scares me.

It is a very long drive. You will most likely encounter congested freeways for the first hour of your route south on interstate 5. You are traveling early season and weather in western Washington is cloudy and rainy more often than not during the month of May. Cloudy skies may prevent you from seeing the mountain even if you make the long drive. If you desire a budget day viewing scenery, try one the large Puget Sound ferries right in Seattle. Buy a round trip passenger only ticket. Enjoy the scenery and when you arrive at the dock get off the ferry, have a nice walk and a little lunch. Then take the ferry back to Seattle. There are two ferry routes that leave from the downtown Seattle waterfront not far from the cruise docks - Seattle to Bremerton - and Seattle to Bainbridge Island. The Bremerton ferry ride is about an hour long and goes through a beautiful passage. There are restaurants, shops and galleries near the Bremerton ferry dock. Bainbridge Island is beautiful and another alternative.

If it is a nice day you should consider a trip to Mount Rainier as it is closer than Mount St. Helens. This national park is spectacular and worth the drive from Seattle.

That said, if you are fascinated by the geology Mount St. Helens and want to make the long drive, do some research on touring the area, its visitor center, and "not-to-miss" sights. The area has evolved much since the eruption in 1980. The moonscape of barrenness resulting from the eruption has given way to new forests and abundant wildlife. The visitor center is good but overall the scenery is not as dramatic as a few years ago.

The road to the main MSH visitors centers and the centers themselves are closed due to snow. Plus, the forecast for the next several days is mainly for clouds and rain at lower elevations, which means it will be snowing on the mountain, and also completely socked in.

I think another plan is in your best interests. Personally, I'd rent a car and either (a) drive over the bridge into Washington State and visit the lighthouses around Cape Disappointment, then have a meal in the interesting fishing village of Ilwaco, or (b) rent a car and drive south down the coast to Cannon Beach (or farther if time allows) for some excellent coastal scenery.

Sorry I misread your original post and incorrectly assumed you were planning a Seattle-Mt. St. Helens trip rather than from Astoria. Astoria is a super small town to visit. It has outstanding Victorian home tours. Flavel House is a good one to visit. Our favorite stop is the Maritime Museum which is perhaps one of the most outstanding maritime museums on the west coast. We have been to most:)

The Oregon coast is a real gem. The scenery in the Cannon Beach area includes massive rocks offshore - real "calendar photo" worthy and a photographer's delight. The picturesque downtown area is right on the beach. You'll have a choice of great restaurants for lunch. We like Bill's Tavern right in the middle of downtown on the west side. Good food, moderate prices, and a family friendly atmosphere despite "tavern" in the name. The sandy beach is hard-packed fine sand and is great for walking. I prefer Cannon Beach to Seaside (the town to the north) because the scenery is just more spectacular and the town is more walkable.

Mount St. Helens, WA is a long drive away from Astoria, OR and would only do it with a ship's excursion for "risk of missing the boat".

I have made the trip there in the late summer and it was definately worth the drive from Canada. There's lot's of info at the visitor's stations and we found it very informative.

Thanks, everyone, for your opinions and suggestions. After careful consideration, I canceled the excursion. Paying $300 to spend 5 hours in a bus and about 30 minutes at each observatory just doesn't sound worth it.

Thanks, everyone, for your opinions and suggestions. After careful consideration, I canceled the excursion. Paying $300 to spend 5 hours in a bus and about 30 minutes at each observatory just doesn't sound worth it.

Good decision! If the ship has wine tours, you should look into one as Oregon (Willamette Valley) makes some of the finest Pinot Noirs in the world.

Archived