Spencer and Britt trying on fishing boots;

IMG_2080-vi.jpg

IMG_2112-vi.jpg

Very few people were returning when we were;

IMG_2115-vi.jpg

Two short boarding lines is always a welcome sight;

IMG_2129-vi.jpg

IMG_2151-vi.jpg

Karen, Britt, and Janet enjoying an evening on the balcony during sailaway from Roatan;

IMG_1704-vi.jpg

Your review is amazing. I am reliving some great memories through you.

However, back to embarkson day you mentioned Porter 150? Is this something we should be aware of? I have cruised out of Miami a few times and am curious if this is someone we should watch for?

Thanks

Kim

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with everyone. Our family is so excited to take our cruise on the Liberty in 2013. This will be the first with our kids, and we are unsure of a window, for safety reasons, or the balcony? As an FYI, the kids will be 7 and 5, so our main concern centers around a child lock on the balcony door. It has been at least eight years since my wife's and I last cruised, so we are unsure about the balcony door. If there is a lock at the top for child safety, we are all in. If not, window it is. Can anyone share any insight as to the security of the balcony door?

There is a lock. I took these pictures of the door leading to the balcony on the Liberty. My grandchildren have cruised at the ages of your children and they were fine in a balcony cabin...supervised of course!

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3027.JPG

I'm really enjoying your review.

I can't believe you went to the cabana, hung around there for a while, then zip-lining, 4 wheeling, swam with turtles, then back to the cabana, AND still had time to lay around the beach (in the rain).

You're an active family, I've got to give you that. You, and your wife, deserve a pat on the back for raising your boys to be active. But man oh man, I'd be tired and sore for the next 3 days after a day like that. I'd want to go back to work so I could relax!

Edited by rajones007

Your review is amazing. I am reliving some great memories through you.

However, back to embarkson day you mentioned Porter 150? Is this something we should be aware of? I have cruised out of Miami a few times and am curious if this is someone we should watch for?

Thanks

Kim

Kim,

Thank you.

Porter 150 was a porter we had a few years back that threatened to and then I think did damage our luggage. :mad: I've looked for him several times since then.

Wow you fit a lot into one day. Great review.

Kathy

Kathy,

It certainly was a busy day, but a day we'll not soon forget. :)

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with everyone. Our family is so excited to take our cruise on the Liberty in 2013. This will be the first with our kids, and we are unsure of a window, for safety reasons, or the balcony? As an FYI, the kids will be 7 and 5, so our main concern centers around a child lock on the balcony door. It has been at least eight years since my wife's and I last cruised, so we are unsure about the balcony door. If there is a lock at the top for child safety, we are all in. If not, window it is. Can anyone share any insight as to the security of the balcony door?

Grape One,

We had a balcony when our youngest was 4, middle son was 7, and oldest was 9. I emphasized to them to NEVER stand on the balcony furniture and to not go on to the balcony without permission. We also kept the balcony locked unless either Karen or I were out there. The balcony rail is high enough that they cannot fall over accidentally unless from a chair and the glass is clear enough that it provides a clear view for them without having to look over the rail. I would begin speaking with your kids as soon as you book about how dangerous horseplay and especially standing on chairs can be on the balcony. Even if you seem to be freaking them out watch the news and let them know about each man overboard story; I have yet to hear of an actual accidental fall by anyone just standing on the balcony. They are always up to no good of some type.

I definately know how you feel about having kids and balconies; our boys are 11, 15, and 17 now and I still remind them not to stand on chairs even though I'm guilty of having done so myself to get a picture.....:o

Gail's pictures are accurate for every ship we've been on; they all have had similar locks that are too high for young kids to reach. Book the balcony and Bon Voyage!

There is a lock. I took these pictures of the door leading to the balcony on the Liberty. My grandchildren have cruised at the ages of your children and they were fine in a balcony cabin...supervised of course!

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3027.JPG

Gail,

Thank you for sharing the pics; I'd have been looking forever trying to find one!

I'm really enjoying your review.

I can't believe you went to the cabana, hung around there for a while, then zip-lining, 4 wheeling, swam with turtles, then back to the cabana, AND still had time to lay around the beach (in the rain).

You're an active family, I've got to give you that. You, and your wife, deserve a pat on the back for raising your boys to be active. But man oh man, I'd be tired and sore for the next 3 days after a day like that. I'd want to go back to work so I could relax!

Rajones007,

Thank you.

I know it sounds like a lot, but we get a lot of practice throughout the year with football, basketball, and baseball practices then games and then boating, hunting, and fishing. Combine all of that with the fact that we both work full time too and it all adds up to lots of activity! Many couples spend their child rearing years saving for retirement and planing for future trips and experiences, but my wife and I decided years ago to live our lives to the fullest as a family. If tomorrow never comes, we'll have experienced all we ever hoped and have no regrets.

Some day I may go to work to relax, but my current occupation of working in an ER doesn't allow for much relaxation. Karen works in surgery so no relaxation for her either. Simple physics; objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest. ;)

You are welcome Paul. I took them on my last cruise because the question had come up in conversation at some point and no better way to explain than through a picture!

And we share your philosophy about making memories with our sons! Nothing makes me happier then listening to them tell stories when all 5 get together.....40 days and we will be making some new memories!

Edited by gail811

Many couples spend their child rearing years saving for retirement and planing for future trips and experiences, but my wife and I decided years ago to live our lives to the fullest as a family. If tomorrow never comes, we'll have experienced all we ever hoped and have no regrets.

Amen, Paul! My dear MIL spent years saying, "When I retire..." with all sorts of ideas about what she wanted to do with retirement. Not long after she did retire, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. No happy retirement. I'm so thrilled we've been able to have lots of great adventures with our sons. Our oldest hasn't been able to vacation with us since early 2009 due to his school schedule, but we're hoping he'll be able to join us next summer - hopefully on Carnival Legend on a Baltic cruise.:)

Love your reviews and following your family. You've had some great adventures!:cool:

You are welcome Paul. I took them on my last cruise because the question had come up in conversation at some point and no better way to explain than through a picture!

And we share your philosophy about making memories with our sons! Nothing makes me happier then listening to them tell stories when all 5 get together.....40 days and we will be making some new memories!

Gail,

Our boys' summer vacation started this past weekend and yesterday evening I priced out cruises for three different families with kids my sons ages based on their kids telling them about ours. It's good to talk about experiences with our boys and it's also good to hear about them talking about cruises with other people. I'm sure my PVP appreciates all the business I send her way with dates and cabins already picked out too! :)

We're taking a few weeks off in July and plan to cruise the Kanawha every day in our boat. It sure would be nice to have a steward along with us, but I guess we'll make out OK even making our own burgers. :p

Amen, Paul! My dear MIL spent years saying, "When I retire..." with all sorts of ideas about what she wanted to do with retirement. Not long after she did retire, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. No happy retirement. I'm so thrilled we've been able to have lots of great adventures with our sons. Our oldest hasn't been able to vacation with us since early 2009 due to his school schedule, but we're hoping he'll be able to join us next summer - hopefully on Carnival Legend on a Baltic cruise.:)

Love your reviews and following your family. You've had some great adventures!:cool:

nybumpkin,

Thank you.

Next year will be our last with all five of us over Spring Break, but we're hoping to do either a summer cruise or an additional SB cruise with Bryson since college SB isn't close to our county school SB.

I know way too many people who succumbed to unexpected illnesses soon after retirement. When I'm 90 years old you can expect to find me working somewhere at least 3-4 days per week. ;)

Thank you all for your comments and concern; Working to pay for our next cruise is getting in the way of review progress. :) I should be able to make some more progress Friday afternoon / evening.

Paul,

Saw somewhere, way in the back of this fab review, you said something about posting the activity schedules, do you still have them? Could you post em?:) Thanks

Canela023,

I hope I still have them; I regularly scan everything into my computer that I want to keep and throw everything else away. If I scanned them I will post, but it's possible I threw them away. :o

Hey Paul -

Thanks again for the info on the Ocean hotel. I did end up booking it. Looking forward to trying a new hotel; I was kinda burned out on the Holiday Inn POM. Plus I was able to use up some Southwest vouchers so got round trip for $269 to FLL from Chicago. Not too shabby. :)

Hello?!?!?! Anyone still out there?

amcjeep4life,

Yes I'm still here. Fotki is being filtered at work, but I've sent in info to have it reclassified. Working today and next eight days so won't have much time for review unless the filter is removed. :o

amcjeep4life,

Yes I'm still here. Fotki is being filtered at work, but I've sent in info to have it reclassified. Working today and next eight days so won't have much time for review unless the filter is removed. :o

Boo on work filtering Fotki!!!! Lol...

Hope you all are well and can't wait to read about Grand Cayman and your final thoughts on the ship. :)

• 2 weeks later...