Is this to Expensive

Cruzinbabe06

Hi all. I've been emailing different tour companies for our stop in Provence (Marseille).

We're on the Norwegian Epic and we're only in port from 7am to 4pm.

From reading all the reviews on these boards, Pont Du Gard, Arles and Les Beux is what my group would enjoy the most since we love ruins.

Now, because of the time constraint, I've narrowed it down to two. Arles and Les Beux.

The company quoted 520 euros for these 2 stops and we would also stop for lunch. We're 8 adults. They said they would have us back to port by 3pm.

I think this is to expensive for only 2 stops. However, I can be wrong.

Is this too expensive?

Also, if your ship leaves at 4pm, what time do they ask everyone to be back onboard?

Thanks in advance

Hi all. I've been emailing different tour companies for our stop in Provence (Marseille).

From reading all the reviews on these boards, Pont Du Gard, Arles and Les Beux is what my group would enjoy the most since we love ruins.

Now, because of the time constraint, I've narrowed it down to two. Arles and Les Beux.

The company quoted 520 euros for these 2 stops and we would also stop for lunch. We're 8 adults. They said they would have us back to port by 3pm.

Is this too expensive?

Also, if your ship leaves at 4pm, what time do they ask everyone to be back onboard?

Thanks in advance

The 2 places are not far apart,but Les Baux can really only be reached by car or bus.It looks like they are giiving you a nice amount of time in each and les Baux is so much fun.It works out to about $70 pp and I am sure it is a van.I really cannot say if this is expensive,but it sounds reasonable to me for the 8 of you.I am sure someone else will reply,and answer what time to be back at the ship.No matter enjoy your cruise.

Is this too expensive?

Thanks in advance

I don't think it is way out of line. We used Provence Resrevation last summer and did Arles, Les Baux, and Pont du Gard. It was 420 euros for our group of 6 and is 480 for 8 people. It may be worth it for you to contact them and see how much you could really see. But the 40 euro price difference divided by 8 people seems minimal and you may just want to stick with company you have.

http://www.provencereservation.com/01-private-tours/124-arles-les-baux-saint-remy-de-provence-01-private-tours.html

I do think that if you started by 7 am, you could do all of that itinerary. Margeline was our guide and driver and I believe we started at 9 and were back by 4:30. I am pretty sure I have posted reviews of this exact excursion that you are looking at. But you should contact them. If you get rolling at 7, you would have an 8 hour day. Then, the question you need to ask yourself is how important is a long sit down lunch as opposed to seeing the Pont du Gard.

The Pont du Gard is impressive and we enjoyed our walk along it even though it was hot. You and the guide could play it by ear and see how you're doing. We did everything and that actually included a sit down lunch in Les Baux. But it was still only 45 minutes. Since the Pont du Gard is the last thing you would visit, I agree that it makes sense to drop that one off. The other two spots are great in different ways and Les Baux is one of the most unique places you will see and Arles is equally a great take with living history, greatly preserved original Roman architecture (arena is great), as well as the Van Gogh influence and garden. It's also a great stop for real crepes in the town.

Edit - Just read my review on TripAdvisor and we were there 8:30 and back at the ship by 4:30. So, we did all three in eight hours. I would think 7:00 to 3:00 might be tough, but doable and you may not want to begin so early.

2 points, if you arrive at 7 am, meeting time at the port would usually be 7.30 am. If I was organising a tour I would also plan to be back one hour early to allow for slight traffic delays or one guest stopping too long in a shop. So I would think 7.30 - 3.00 is your tour length.

The costs are not worked out by how many stops you have, rather by the costs to the company. Last year when I was trying to get quotes from companies they usually gave me their day costs (it was 490 euro for a 4 people in a car in Provence - 8 hour cruise stop) and then after that we would work out what we would do during the day.

I ended up DIY ing that stop anyway, but I am just giving the illustration. Your quote sounds consistent with what I was getting last year. If you are visiting what you would enjoy - and stop off for a nice lunch too, it sounds as if you are getting a well-priced day.

You can easily do the 2 stops. We just all grabbed a sandwich in

les Baux to allow for more touring time..lunches can take forever

there.

Sherry

PS..check out rendez-vous-provence this will be our 4th time to use them.

Archived