Avalon European Splendor Optional Excursions etc

Neliska

Hi there

In July we will be on the Affinity from Vienna to Amsterdam. I have been looking at the Optional Excursions that may be offered and was wondering which ones are worth doing. From the NZ website the following are listed:

A Visit of Schonbrunn Imperial Palace 44 Euro

Can Buy Me Love - Amsterdam's Red Light District 26

Excursion to Rothenburg OB Der Tauber 39

Excursion to Weltenburg Abbey & the Danube Gorge 41

Klompen, Cheese & Peanut Oil - Zaanse Schans - Amsterdam 31

Rembrandt & Co - A Visit to Amsterdams' Rijksmuseum 31

Royal Waltz Concert 49

Salzburg - Mozarts Sound of Music 64

Sunflowers & Other Masterpieces - Amsterdam 31

Volendam - Fishermans Village on the Former Zuiderzee 31

I realise it is up to the individual as to what their likes and interests are but any information would be appreciated.

31 Euro is approx NZ $50

We have 3 nights in Vienna prior to boarding the Affinity and we have booked tickets to the Spanish Riding School. We have also booked an extra night in Amsterdam at the end.

Drinks - what sort of prices do they charge on board for beer and wine?

Do they have a drink of the day like on the ocean cruises?

Reading through some of the posts on here it seems you are able to take wine & beer to your room that has been purchased in town. Quite different to the ocean cruises and the security you go through!

Evenings: Do they have any entertainment in the evenings?

Age Group: What is the age group generally? We are in our mid 50's

You can do the Schoenbrunn Palace on your own for much less than the Optional Tour price. The only 'extra' going with the optional tour is the Apple Strudel demo.

As for the others, i don't have much info to share, but we were to Rothenburg with a land tour and loved it!

I agree that Rothenburg is worth the visit. The altar upstairs in St. Jacob's church is fantastic! There is also a Christmas store right off the main square with the fountain that is not to be missed.

As far as Amsterdam, the Rijksmuseum and the Van Goch museum are within walking distance of each other. You can visit both in a day. Take a taxi or tram from the ship. You will save 62 Euros times 2 and be ahead of the game.

I agree that Rothenburg is worth the visit. The altar upstairs in St. Jacob's church is fantastic! There is also a Christmas store right off the main square with the fountain that is not to be missed.

As far as Amsterdam, the Rijksmuseum and the Van Goch museum are within walking distance of each other. You can visit both in a day. Take a taxi or tram from the ship. You will save 62 Euros times 2 and be ahead of the game.

I have been to Amsterdam recently and went to both museums. I wandered on my own as I had been to both before. However, the admission was 14 euros per person to each museum. I believe the tram ticket was 7 1/2 euros for the day, and my guess is a taxi would cost even more. So, at the best, you would save about half the cost of the optional excursion. I assume you would get a guided tour of the musuem with the optional excusrion. This might be worth the cost. The Rijksmuseum is huge, and the guide would do a good job of showing you the major highlights. I have always found a guide to be well worth the cost when I go to a large museum for the first time. Afterwards or on subsequent visits, I know where I want to concentrate my time. The Van Gogh Museum is not that large, and I think it is easily doable without a guide.

Neliska - I believe that when we went to Amsterdam we bought the museum tickets in the States, on-line and saved some money. It was a lot less than what the cruise company charges, however we did have to wait in line for about an hour and we had to get our own transportation to the museums. Also I don't know if the ship tours get preferential treatment and you walk right in.

Rothenburg is a fun city to visit but very touristy during the daytime hours. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to catch the 'Nightwatchman' walking tour later in the evening. You may have seen him on one of the Rick Steves programs. The watchman is very entertaining and informative. He asks for donations at the end and is well worth 5 or 10 euro.

We were in our later 50s when we went and found we were younger in comparison. There were some younger than us on board but most were older....mid 60s to 80s.

Happy crusing. You'll love it!

Hi there

In July we will be on the Affinity from Vienna to Amsterdam. I have been looking at the Optional Excursions that may be offered and was wondering which ones are worth doing. From the NZ website the following are listed:

A Visit of Schonbrunn Imperial Palace 44 Euro

Can Buy Me Love - Amsterdam's Red Light District 26

Excursion to Rothenburg OB Der Tauber 39

Excursion to Weltenburg Abbey & the Danube Gorge 41

Klompen, Cheese & Peanut Oil - Zaanse Schans - Amsterdam 31

Rembrandt & Co - A Visit to Amsterdams' Rijksmuseum 31

Royal Waltz Concert 49

Salzburg - Mozarts Sound of Music 64

Sunflowers & Other Masterpieces - Amsterdam 31

Volendam - Fishermans Village on the Former Zuiderzee 31

I realise it is up to the individual as to what their likes and interests are but any information would be appreciated.

31 Euro is approx NZ $50

We have 3 nights in Vienna prior to boarding the Affinity and we have booked tickets to the Spanish Riding School. We have also booked an extra night in Amsterdam at the end.

Drinks - what sort of prices do they charge on board for beer and wine?

Do they have a drink of the day like on the ocean cruises?

Reading through some of the posts on here it seems you are able to take wine & beer to your room that has been purchased in town. Quite different to the ocean cruises and the security you go through!

Evenings: Do they have any entertainment in the evenings?

Age Group: What is the age group generally? We are in our mid 50's

I would see Schonbrunn Imperial Palace on my own and you can book in advance on their website, saving money and lines. I would visit the museums of interest on your own in Amsterdam. We visited the Ann Frank house and booked the tickets online. We were very happy that we did as the lines were very long and we walked right in. Amsterdam is easy to navigate by tram but the streets can be confusing because of the canals.

We have never taken an optional excursion and, to be honest, sometimes skip the included ones as well. We like to be independent and see what is of interest to us, at our own pace.

Beer and wine in December were about 5-7 Euro. They have a happy hour which used to be half priced drinks but is now 2 for 1. That is the best deal on the cruise and lots of guests take advantage of it.

In December, they did offer a Drink of the Day, cruise ship style, and this was posted at reception and also at the bar.

Yes, you can bring wine to your room without an issue. We also brought wine to dinner several times and paid the reasonable corkage.

Archived