Gem Aft Balcony?

schwaja3

I am getting ready to book a March 2014 9 day cruise on the Gem out of NYC. I have never sailed in a balcony, but think this is the time. I've read a lot about the Aft facing cabins.

My question is this: Is it really worth the extra $$? If so, do I worry about being on a deck with the buffet right above us? Which ones are the best to get?

Thanks for the help!!!

Jack

I am getting ready to book a March 2014 9 day cruise on the Gem out of NYC. I have never sailed in a balcony, but think this is the time. I've read a lot about the Aft facing cabins.

My question is this: Is it really worth the extra $$? If so, do I worry about being on a deck with the buffet right above us? Which ones are the best to get?

Thanks for the help!!!

Jack

I have done the aft balcony many times. I have never had noise problems. I know that the extra money for an aft balcony is worth it. There is nothing more enjoyable than sitting there, watching the ships wake and enjoying a wonderful view. IMHO.

Thanks for the help!!!

Jack

I was also looking at the Gem 9 day but the site didn't let me go beyond putting our ages in. Can you post and let me know if you were able to book this? I have tried several times to do a fake booking and it" cannot process my request at this time" Definitely Deck 10 , but they all have a great view!:D

Thanks for the help!!!

Jack

Jack check out the link in my signature to my review of the GEM, I specifically mention our likes and dislikes for our aft balcony. Any questions let me know.

Thanks for the help!!!

Jack

Jack check out the link in my signature to my review of the GEM, I specifically mention our likes and dislikes with our aft balcony. Any questions let me know.

We were in the Gem Aft Facing Balcony Cabin 9152 and we loved it. The view is amazing. You can see everything from shooting stars, lightning in the distance, other ships, dolphins and flying fish. The sound of the wake, the aroma of sweet bread baking and sea air only add to the entire experience. We make sure we book early so we can get an Aft balcony cabin. Recently, we have been booking the 10th foor, Cabin #10230, however, we would book on the 9th again without giving it a second thought. Very quiet in this area of the ship. With the gentle rocking and sound of the wake, makes for the best sleep ever. Definately, worth the extra costs.

I was also looking at the Gem 9 day but the site didn't let me go beyond putting our ages in. Can you post and let me know if you were able to book this? I have tried several times to do a fake booking and it" cannot process my request at this time" Definitely Deck 10 , but they all have a great view!:D

We're booked in an aft mini on the Gem in March, 2014, the website wouldn't let us get past the ages either so I called NCL and booked through the phone.

We went with a mini on deck 11 because with the 4 of us, the balcony cabins just aren't big enough. Our mini on the Star had noise from the pool deck area above us, and I'm hoping the aft location is a bit quieter at night. We have one of the end cabins, so the chair noise shouldn't be a big deal, but if someone wakes me up at 5am on the first day of the cruise the hotel desk staff will be making my acquaintance quickly :rolleyes: If I had the choice I'd book an aft cabin with cabins above/below, but it's not feasible for us.

If you do join, check out the roll calls since I'm quite lonely over there ;)

We're booked in an aft mini on the Gem in March' date=' 2014, the website wouldn't let us get past the ages either so I called NCL and booked through the phone.

We went with a mini on deck 11 because with the 4 of us, the balcony cabins just aren't big enough. Our mini on the Star had noise from the pool deck area above us, and I'm hoping the aft location is a bit quieter at night. We have one of the end cabins, so the chair noise shouldn't be a big deal, but if someone wakes me up at 5am on the first day of the cruise the hotel desk staff will be making my acquaintance quickly :rolleyes: If I had the choice I'd book an aft cabin with cabins above/below, but it's not feasible for us.

If you do join, check out the roll calls since I'm quite lonely over there ;)[/quote']

Hmmmmm. I wonder why? I wanted to look at differnent dates and pricing. I guess I can just ask on a couple of the dates. It sounds like a nice itinterary rather than the ususal Bermuda or Bahamas out of NYC. Thanks for filling me in. I was going crazy. I have another lonely RC I am on but someone joined this week so I got a little bit of excitement.:D What date did you pick?

We were in an aft suite on the Gem in March and I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't want to book aft again. It was fine but nothing special. We prefer to be forward because of the forward view. One negative I found about the aft suite was the layer of soot we had on our balcony from the engine exhaust.

Hmmmmm. I wonder why? I wanted to look at differnent dates and pricing. I guess I can just ask on a couple of the dates. It sounds like a nice itinterary rather than the ususal Bermuda or Bahamas out of NYC. Thanks for filling me in. I was going crazy. I have another lonely RC I am on but someone joined this week so I got a little bit of excitement.:D What date did you pick?

We leave March 8, 2014, hoping it works out to be park of our March Break since DH is a vice principal and can't exactly get time off school ;)

When I called I asked a million questions...different cabin categories, sail dates and so on, they seemed quite understanding considering the website couldn't give me the information. My PCC didn't even mind when I asked her to check if a recent promotion got us a better deal than the one we booked under, heck she even told me to email again to check the prices!

Had a AFT balcony on the Jewel. Was very nice. Left the door cracked open at night. Hearing the wake made for some nice sleeping (too bad bed left some to be desired).

Is it worth the extra $$$? If you got it, go for it!;) I would again. :D

Archived